The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2008, 09:28 PM   #1
skylab

help needed reloading .243 and 7mm mag

hi,
Cannot find loading specs for few types of bullets. Can anyone help me? Need min, max loads, OAL

sierra .243 winchester 85gr spitzer
sierra 7mm mag 140gr spitzer
hornady 7mm mag 175gr spire point
(what is a spire point?, didn't see this in any books I've read)
and
hornady .357 mag 158gr hollow point for handgun

Rifle powders I like to use are IMR4350, IMR4895, and hodgdon 4831

handgun powder I'm using is alcan AL-5 and hercules 2400

I'm also confused about the hercules 2400 powder, says it can be used for handguns and rifles both.

I would be very thankful if someone could help me.

Thanks,
Bill
Old November 13, 2008, 11:20 PM   #2
crowbeaner

Hornady's spirepoint is their secant ogive design for spitzer type bullets. For the best info on your dilemma, try the Hodgdon website or the #26 reloading manual.
Old November 13, 2008, 11:43 PM   #3
tom234

Email Sierra. They will email you back a PDF file for each cartridge with loading data.
Old November 14, 2008, 10:19 AM   #4
10 Spot Terminator

Good day to you Bill ,,,

you sound like a prime candidate to become an owner of a good reloaders manual . Based on some of the questions you have asked us it seems you are a bit in the dark on a few reloading basics and the only good way to get them all answered for you is to cosult one of the many good loading manuals available . Most load data available is referenced around a specific bullet weight rather than a specific bullet and the only way you would be able to get specific data for a particular bullet would be from load data ( if available ) by the bullet manufacturer themself . As for the cartrige OAL that is a industry recommended maximum length to insure the ammo will fit in all weapons chambered for that specific cartridge . This length can be fine tuned to your specific weapon for improved performance but is too lengthy to go into detail here ( get a manual ) . As for use of powders that cross refference between types of firearms they can be used in there are many and here in particular you better pay strict attention to publised data unless you want to destroy yourself or your weapon. Many reloaders such as myself have a half dozen or more manuals and will cross reference the data in them to be sure to do a good job right from the start . ALWAYS check any of the loads you find from shooters ( including me ) on a forum such as this one and cross reference it to one or more manuals before you blindly load some up. People tend to make typo errors and such that can get you in big trouble. Welome to the never ending learning curve of reloading . 10 SPOT