The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 18, 2005, 03:01 PM   #1
artsmom

Reproduction Confederate Enfields

My son was gearing up to be a Confederate drummer boy until I saw the price of an acceptably authentic looking reproduction drum. I told him, "You might as well fight for that amount of money."

I know Euroarms and Armi make reproduction .58 Enfields, but I am wondering if there is a third manufacturer, as I seem to recall that Parker-Hale used to make them using the original gauges, and maybe Navy Arms or Dixie handled them. Do either of these places have them, or have they gone the way of the Dodo?
Old July 18, 2005, 03:22 PM   #2
wrcook

As far as I know Parker-Hale are available from Dixie, they are the best, so be prepared to pay the price. There is also one dealer who is modifying the cheaper Enfields into correct ones, but when you are done they are almost as expensive as the P-H. All the Enfields arer safe to shoot, look to see if it is NSS-A approved, that is a good indication.

Bill
Old July 18, 2005, 05:08 PM   #3
artsmom

I see by Dixie's website that they are almost double the price of a EuroArms reproduction. I think I will have to go with the cheaper ones, as I have to get a pair of them, and the accessories times two.

I can't let the boy go off to war alone, can I?
Old July 18, 2005, 09:05 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

English made Parker Hales are the best but can cost you up to $700 for one. The newer Parker Hales have English made barrels. I'm unsure where the locks are made but the stocks are made in Italy and the gun is assembled there too.

Discerning skirmishers (North-South Skirmish Association) go one step further and have any markings betraying its recent manufacture removed. The barrel bands they come with are for the post-war version and are modified to the correct Civil War period. But, I wouldn't worry about it since getting the gun is the start. Skirmishers are distinguished from reenactors in that the former shoot their guns (at targets and not at each other) whereas reenactors shoot only blanks.

You're terrific for considering an Enfield for your son. It wasn't unusual for a drummer boy to pick up a musket and join the line of battle.
Old July 27, 2005, 01:48 PM   #5
artsmom

My son looks like a Reb. Skinny, shaggy haired (at least until school starts), and has a long easygoing gait that looks like he is poking along and moving fast at the same time.

I, on the other hand, told my son that I will buy my uniform trousers in a proper Rebel waist size, and shape my own waist accordingly. I won't be one of those Confederate skirmishers who has to waddle up Little Round Top.

The advantage to being a Confederate is that they were usually a little more opportunistic in uniforms, weapons, and accoutrements, which matches my budget and shopping instincts a little better.

I regret giving away my Lyman minie ball mould with handles and about 20 pounds of pure lead to two reenactors who braved the rain one weekend, while the rest of the unit chickened out. I take it back, I don't regret it at all, I hope they waved them under the noses of the "deserters"!