The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 12:04 PM   #51
whippoorwill

IMO... nope. But, I love that we have so much variety from which to choose.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:33 PM   #52
pbcaster45

I think the BoMar rear sight makes it look better - but I've always liked the way my Glock 17L looks...

Old February 19, 2013, 12:53 PM   #53
RBid

The 17L looks like clown shoes.
Old February 19, 2013, 04:47 PM   #54
blackamos

I all ways liked the looks of the Vektor. Not mine but did get to shoot one back in the 90's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vektor.jpg (17.3 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by blackamos; February 19, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:41 PM   #55
lamarw

This is my Honest to God truck gun. It is a Glock replica which means it is a Haskell.

The pictures are of its carry points which is a 98 Ford F150, a San Pan Pontoon Boat, and a Nitro 250 HP Bass Boat.

You can not get a much uglier all steel pistol, and it can also serve as a boat anchor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck Gun 1.jpg (246.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Truck Gun 2.jpg (214.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Truck Gun 3.jpg (223.3 KB, 73 views)
Old February 19, 2013, 06:17 PM   #56
shouldazagged

For me it's partly the difference between revolvers and pistols. The shape of a fine revolver, particularly an older Smith K-frame, is simply more graceful to me than the look of any pistol but a 1911 or '08 Luger. The most beautiful handgun I've ever owned was a 1970 Model 15-8 I bought in immaculate, unfired condition about ten years ago. That deep, polished blue, and those lines...

I've owned more pistols than revolvers, and two of my favorites were Glocks, a 22 and a 19. Not especially pretty but wonderfully engineered, which has its own appeal. I think some of the SIG's are visually very handfsome.

But I still love my steel wheel guns. Can't say the looks of the polymer-framed ones do much for me.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:56 AM   #57
lee n. field

Quote:
The beautiful pictures of the stainless Beretta 92 in a previous post got me to thinking: Can anyone provide an example of a polymer framed gun that has the style and grace that a fine steel framed gun has?

How can cast plastic capture the heart and soul as well as the beauty of polished blue or stainless?
One that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, that I think is good looking, is the Ruger P345.

It lacks the many nubs and ridges that many poly guns have (ex. the Walther P99 that someone praised). The grip has molded in checkering, in the style Ruger has used in subsequent guns. The grip has the red Ruger phoenix logo. The trigger guard lacks the ugly hook on the front. The slide is relatively unadorned.

I think it looks good.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 20, 2013, 10:56 AM   #58
Auto426

Quote:
Hey Auto426, You left out the beauty of leather in you list.
Both polymer and steel guns can ride in beautiful leather products, but that does not make the guns themselves look good. A Glock in a handmade and hand carved leather holster is still just a ugly polymer gun.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:58 AM   #59
MercyfulFate

I personally am a revolver guy, so I'd say no but that's just my personal opinion.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:16 AM   #60
pbcaster45

I'm a revolver guy too. I got this S&W Model 10 recently. I had planned to have Clark Custom Guns turn it into a heavy barreled PPC Revolver - but it was so nice I had to leave it alone. Practically mint!

Old February 20, 2013, 11:19 AM   #61
MercyfulFate

Very nice! Mine is just like the picture I linked, it's a 10-5 and the owner had it re-blued before he sold it to the shop I got it from. It's got the old tapered barrel.

The guy who sold me it said "Do NOT use +P, you'll blow it up" but after an e-mail to S&W I was told +P would be fine, just don't use it constantly. I used it and it was fine!

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old February 21, 2013, 03:23 AM   #62
Tickling

Quote:
The 17L looks like clown shoes.
Ha ha! I'd have to agree. Although I'll bet she shoots nice.

Honestly I think the whole wood/steel thing is overblown. 1911s and older semi-auto pistols look blocky and clunky to me. The more modern handguns have smoother lines, at least IMHO.

Now revolvers are a different story..
Old February 21, 2013, 06:30 AM   #63
SecurityGeek

Not to be trite, but...

- Satchel Paige
Old February 21, 2013, 06:59 AM   #64
hemiram

I'll pass on the 1911, I'm done with them, forever, and they don't feel good in my hand at all, but I have no plastic fantastics. Give me metal, steel preferably, and I'm happy. The extra weight doesn't bother me a bit, and I'll never understand how it really would. I do have a couple of plastic rifles (Sub2000 and M&P15-22)though, and they work fine, but they don't really come in metal versions, so I had to buy them that way. I would rather have metal versions though.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:28 AM   #65
Tickling

Quote:
Give me metal, steel preferably, and I'm happy. The extra weight doesn't bother me a bit..
One of my father's old timer friends used to LOVE his full size, full steel handguns. Until, as he told me, his belt snapped at his daughter's wedding. You can imagine how fast his boat-anchor dragged those pants down. In his chagrin and hurry to pull them up he.. you guessed it, tripped on his face, bottoms-up.

He now has the peculiar habit of wearing a belt and suspenders. He also packs polymer handguns.

Steel and wood doesn't look so manly when it's decorating your ankles.. or maybe it does?
Old February 21, 2013, 07:35 AM   #66
dalegribble

i have a few poly guns that i like but the short answer is no.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:47 AM   #67
kimbershot

my dw valor is a thing of beauty. my xds is fugly but represents intended utility.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:32 AM   #68
Tactical Jackalope

Can a polymer framed gun equal the beauty of steel?

What's wrong with Glocks you guys?

Totally kidding.

However, I carry SIG's and Glocks.

Mainly this..
Old February 21, 2013, 10:36 AM   #69
DMZX

Beauty in simplicity:

Old February 21, 2013, 12:02 PM   #70
RBid

I will be the first to admit that I don't understand why people post Glock pictures in pic threads. Once somebody has seen one (factory) Glock, they've seen them all. "Here's my G27, G26, G19, and G23!" is about as exciting as "here's a picture of an empty sink."

I'm ok with wearing a boring looking firearm.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:26 PM   #71
L_Killkenny

As to the OP, generally no. Just dang hard to make plastic look as good as finely finished steel but that doesn't make all plastic guns butt ugly. There are some that there is obviously no hope for (even some of the ones pictures in this thread) but some can look OK to good. Case in point, these are pretty nice even when compared to standard Ruger MKIII's:

Not much plastic visible. IMO the factory photo doesn't do it any favors. The front and rear of the frame are checkered, grips are very nice and the bluing is pretty good for a $300 gun. Far more oh's and ah's than any Glock.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:44 PM   #72
FairWarning

In a word: No.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:46 PM   #73
Mr.357Sig

Can a polymer framed gun equal the beauty of steel?

No. Luckily, it's not a beauty contest.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:17 PM   #74
barefoot

I'm a pragmatic, form-follows-function kinda guy, so YES
Because of my pragmatism, my categorization is along the lines of Reliable SD Tool vs. Collector Piece, so 'ugly' plastic Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, SIGs (and metal SIGs, CZs, etc.) are Guns to me, while 1911s (affordable ones) Tokarevs, SAAs, vintage Lugers and Mustangs and the like will be range toys and collectables to me.
Old February 21, 2013, 04:01 PM   #75
FLChinook

Quote:
I think this is a good looking pistol...
Is the slide on the SR9C easy to work? Please see my other thread about my wife not being able to work my Kimber 1911 slide...

(Sorry, I know this is a thread on looks and not function but I'll try to slip in this little function query... )