The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Barbicane

SR40c review

I picked one up on the 7th (it was just innocently sitting in the LGS case when I heard it's plaintiff cries: "Take me home, take me home please"). Living in Arizona, I figured I must own at least one gun from the Ruger plant in Prescott (the county seat where I grew up).

Finally got it the range Yesterday (7/14). Took along the Glock 22 and Stoeger Cougar 8040 for comparison. My quick impressions after 200 rounds:

Sights are average for a new gun, The Checkering on the grip is minimal (compared to a Glock or XD) but still to much for my preferences (I like the polished wood feel on my Cougar and Beretta 96). If I decide to go with this as an EDC (likely) I will have to do something about the side of the grip texture. What I do like is I can easily index my off (left) hand thumb on the bevel at the front of the frame (right at the back of my thumbnail). I like the grip extension for the short magazine (9 round, there is a full length 15 round SR40 Mag included with a grip adapter), I feel that it's presence provides a traditional grip (for me) yet cuts the corner on the butt to aid in concealment.

Fit is slightly above average. No rattles when I shake it vigorously. Slide lock has very little lateral play, and none side to side. Only thing I noticed is that when brought to battery the mainspring plug at the front can be recessed a few millimeters or so with a finger press.

The finish is at best rough, and that appears (to me) to be intentional. I don't just mean "let's not polish this bit to save some time in finish", there is indications (for example) that the Barrel was polished bright in places (maybe for final fit check), then a very rough and slightly ghastly bead blasting was done to the Chamber/lug area. I don't like it one bit, and will have polishing done to major parts of the gun.

Range time! At first the trigger felt like there was crude in the pivot point. this went away after 20 rounds, and just kept getting better. The felt recoil is impressive, significantly less than the Glock and with a better feel than the cougar (the cougar has a torque(ish) feel to it that is something to adjust to each time out). I am not a marksman of any sort (except maybe the shaky sort) but was able to produce consistent 2" 5 shot groups at 7yds, with a 4" group at 20yds at the end of the session. I am confident that this gun shoots better than I do. I did not, nor do I plan to, shoot this from a rest.

Right now, I am still more comfortable with the G22 and the 96, but I feel with a few more range visits the SR40c can nearly match those 2, and be preferred for carry (due to size, it is the smallest pistol larger than .380 I own). To be clear: For serious target/competition, it is not on par with the 96, and a just a few steps shy of the G22, but if it is your one choice, it's not bad at all.
Old July 15, 2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Donovan655

thanks for the review. if i was gonna edc a 40 the sr is what i'd choose over all others.

Ruger has a reputation of having rough around the edge pistols that work and customer service that is second to none.

Glad to see they aren't straying from this.

Tags
40 s&w , concealed carry , gun review , ruger , sr40c