The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 12, 2005, 12:09 AM   #1
bernie

Need some tritium sight help.

I have a handgun with some Tru-Dot sights on it and the tritium vials need replaced. Where can I get this done?

Thanks.
Old December 12, 2005, 02:38 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

tritium:

Bernie:
You'll probably need to send them to Trijicon - they are liscenced to do this; Tritium is the gas in the "pit" of a Pultonium Bomd and is radioactive - I keep my sights away from my head on the nightstand on my Glock 20 - of course my wife thinks it would do no damage to my head.

Harry B.
Old December 17, 2005, 09:20 AM   #3
wogpotter

Tritium & glo sights

The FACTS, not the hype & conjecture, on tritium-filled vials in sights.
· Radioactivity of Tritium Gas:

Technically, tritium products are radioactive because they contain radioactive material. But in actuality they are not, because the product emits no radiation. The tritium gas is laser sealed in hard glass tubes. The glass tubes stop all radiation. These glass tubes are then housed in tough and durable housings varying from polycarbonate to rubber, depending on the product’s intended use. Tritium beta emissions are so weak that even in open air, the particle travels less than 1/4 inch. A sheet of tissue paper would stop it. If a housing and glass tube were to break and the gas is released, the product could emit a small amount of radiation, but not enough to be harmful. Our products, designed in conjunction with military testing standards and federal and state regulations, are very strong, and accidental breakage is nearly impossible. If a person were to deliberately destroy a tritium gas device, the potential radiation dose can be calculated. Keep in mind, for this scenario to occur, the outer and inner housings would need to be destroyed. If a large safety sign were to have all tubes broken and the person deliberately destroying the product has his/her face literally inches away from the product and breathing hard for at least five minutes during and after a breakage, the exposure would be about the same as that received from a dental x-ray. Keep in mind, released tritium gas acts like hydrogen; it’s lighter than air and dilutes rapidly. As the average consumer can now clearly understand, tritium gas products are a non-hazardous, safe and effective means for providing emergency and tactical lighting.

Having said that, you probably do need to return them to the Mfr for refurbishing. Mostly because the less informed are expecting little teensy-tiny mushroom clouds & severe genetic mutations.

If you want to try it yourself you should do a search on the 'net under "Betalight" the PC name for tritium illumination.
You will have to dissolve the existing cement (probably with an Industrial strenth plastic solvent) get the correct size inserts, or re-drill the holes, and then glue the replacments in with something like epoxy.