The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 2, 2014, 01:01 PM   #51
10Ringmagic

Quote:
Unread Yesterday, 11:14 AM #11
CPO15

SIG 239; single stack, 8 + 1 in 9mm.

When you specified thin, I thought single stack
^THIS^

It's one of my favorites.
Old September 2, 2014, 01:47 PM   #52
Viper99

Kahr PM9, Walther PPS
Old September 2, 2014, 03:00 PM   #53
Madcap_Magician

Polymer-frame: S&W M&P Shield, SA XDs, Ruger LC9, Bersa BP9CC, Kahr PM9/CM9 or P9/CW9, Beretta Nano.

Aluminum-frame: Sig Sauer P938, Rohrbaugh R9S.

Steel-frame: Kahr MK9/K9, Sig Sauer P239

I'm probably missing a few choices.
Old September 2, 2014, 03:38 PM   #54
Microgunner

If your budget can bear it you might consider the Boberg XR9-S. It's tiny, very tiny yet due to it's unique loading system it has a 3.35" barrel with a 7+1 9mm+P capacity.
The design allows for an extremely easy to rack slide and it's designer Arne Boberg claims it's impossible to create a limp wrist malfunction.
I love mine and it has become my favorite CCW.
I just ordered their newly released. 45ACP version called the XR45-S.
Old September 2, 2014, 03:50 PM   #55
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
Unread Yesterday, 11:14 AM #11
CPO15

SIG 239; single stack, 8 + 1 in 9mm.

[B]When you specified thin, I thought single stack[/B]
^THIS^
At 1.2 inches wide it is slightly wider than my XD40 Sub Compact which is a 9+1 round double stack 40 S&W that I don't particularly call "thin" as requested by the OP.
No mention has been made by the OP as to action type. In a hammer fired SAO I woud say tye Sig 938 might be a good choice at 1.1 inches in width. The Ruger LC9 would get my nod for a hammer fired DAO at .91" in width. But at .87" I would also take a look at the Kel-Tec PF9 is being the thinnest was my top priority. In a striker fired pistol I would still pick the KAHR CM9 also at .91"
The Walther is as thin as the Ruger, or KAHR, but about a half inch taller. Not much, but to me when I looked at them for CCW they just felt top heavy, and sort of clunky. Sorta like a Hi-Point(gasp, gasp, gasp!), that was left in the dryer, ans shrunk.
But this points out one very important fact. It is up to the OP to try as many of the suggestions here as he can, and find a pistol that fits his particular needs. One that feels right, and he can shoot well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; September 2, 2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old September 2, 2014, 04:04 PM   #56
Cheapshooter

I hope the OP returns with a little more information on what his preferences are. Action type, frame material, and price range could help narrow the choices significantly.
Old September 2, 2014, 04:09 PM   #57
Microgunner

An additional point concerning the Boberg XR9-S, it's a spurless hammer fired DAO trigger pistol and it is magnificent.
Old September 2, 2014, 04:31 PM   #58
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Tomac said: Kahr CM9 or CW9.
First respondent Tomac stole my thunder.

I carry a Kahr CW9 on a regular basis. It is thin and easily conceals IWB with a single loosely fitting shirt. (I'm an average height/weight guy, with a little bit of a spare tire.)

Shoots like a champ. I am quite accurate with it. It has a looooong non-stacking trigger pull that is reasonably light and very smooth. Personally, I like the trigger and it was a snap to get used to. I consider the trigger to be a safety feature (maybe it is, by design, for all I know). It gives you plenty of "are you sure you want to do this" time.

It's also not a particularly expensive gun, so if something were to happen to it (theft, litigation, etc.) it's no huge loss.

But best of all: it has a tremendous appetite. My CW9 has eaten everything I have fed it - everything. I load my own ammo and have put every profile of bullet through it with no problem whatsoever. It has literally digested everything I have put through it. No failures to feed. No failures to eject. No failures to ignite. This is including during the break in period.

I can't say that about any other gun I've owned.
Old September 2, 2014, 06:37 PM   #59
WildBill45

Walther CCP

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old September 2, 2014, 07:21 PM   #60
Seven High

I really do not have a preference as to type of action, or material used, but my price range is $600.00 max.
Old September 2, 2014, 08:48 PM   #61
Viper99

If you like S&W 3rd gen, the CS9, 908
Old September 2, 2014, 09:26 PM   #62
TraumaRN

M&P Shield
Very low recoil impulse too IMHO
Old September 2, 2014, 10:34 PM   #63
michael t

KelTec PF-9 is my carry 9mm If need a couple more rounds a P-11

My PF-9 has passed 1000 rounds trouble free. I consider it a carry pistol not a target gun . So I don't fire 100s of rounds at a time thru it . Most ever did was 1st day and that was 100 rounds.

Bersa also has a small 9mm single stack. But its a little larger .
Old September 2, 2014, 10:56 PM   #64
DA/SA Fan

Quote:
I really do not have a preference as to type of action, or material used, but my price range is $600.00 max.
Given that, I would say the Kahr PM9. 599.00 at Bud's right now.
Old September 3, 2014, 01:27 AM   #65
Darker Loaf

I'm on my third Kahr. I got a CW9 (sold), a K9 Elite (the best of the bunch), and now a P9 for lighter carry. The only knock against Kahrs for me is the long trigger pulls, which are really smooth however and completely masterable. Many people return Kahrs: I see them used all the time. So, try one first before you buy one. I did, but I really like them.

If I had to get one of the bigger brands, I'd get an XDS which shoots really well.
Old September 3, 2014, 10:36 AM   #66
SIMP

Shield in 9mm
Old September 3, 2014, 11:41 AM   #67
Seven High

Thanks everyone! Keep em' coming.
Old September 3, 2014, 03:43 PM   #68
Cheapshooter

This link might make comparisons easier. The news articles are a bit out dated, but there is a lot of handgun specs to compare. Just click pistols on the tool bar at the top, then pick the manufacturer, size, caliber, etc.that you are interested in.
http://whichgun.com/
Old September 3, 2014, 04:12 PM   #69
serf 'rett

Kahr P9 - Trigger, full four finger grip, on target, good trigger, thin, light weight and did I mention a great trigger?
Old September 4, 2014, 07:19 AM   #70
Yung.gunr

Looks like I'm only the second to mention the Taurus PT709. I really like mine. It's been great, carries easy shoots great. Thinner than many of its competitors and HECK of a lot cheaper than just about all of the other suggestions.

Something to keep in mind with a carry gun. If it is actually used in a self defense scenario it is likely it will be taken as evidence. Whether or not you see it again is anyone's guess. Will it be returned in the same shape? Not likely, evidence lock ups are not geared toward upkeep of guns. Get something inexpensive so you can afford to practice with it and you won't be all upset about losing it. Not to mention wear on carry guns.

$500+ on a carry gun? Nah, not for me. There are many inexpensive reliable guns out there. Inexpensive and reliable are not mutually exclusive.
Old September 4, 2014, 07:32 AM   #71
wmg1299

I agree with everything in the previous post concerning the Taurus PT709 Slim. Mine has fired over 500 rounds without any FTF's or FTE's. It field strips exactly like a Glock, is comfortable to carry, and can be purchased at most retailers for $279.
Old September 4, 2014, 09:13 AM   #72
Laz

Another one worthy of a look is the Sig Sauer P290rs (be sure it is the "rs" model, not just the older 290). 5.5 inches long, about 4 inches high, 1.1 inches thick, comes with one 6 and one 8 round magazine, night sights, true DAO, for around $500 or upper $400s. It is a tad heavier than most polymer pistols in its size range at 20.5 ounces because of its steel sub-frame rather than aluminum.

I bought one after a lot of research and am very pleased so far.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old September 4, 2014, 10:01 AM   #73
Unlicensed Dremel

Well, there's a bunch of them, aren't there?

My favorite two have been the Kahr PM9 & CM9, and the S&W M&P Shield. These are very high-quality pieces. But the Taurus 709 SLIM is quite nice for the money, too. Bunch of them I haven't tried, though.

If I hit the jackpot, I'll try a Boberg or Rohrbaugh.
Old September 4, 2014, 01:59 PM   #74
salvadore

I'm not a big striker fired plastic fantastic guy, but did buy a S&W Shield in 9mm when they first came out. Carried it some and shot it a little, would pick it before a micro 1911, and I'm a 1911 guy. It's as good as any small 9mm but costs less than $400 on sale. That's Taurus range with excellent customer service. Just a thought.
Old September 5, 2014, 05:54 PM   #75
huskybiker

I have both a Shield and XDS (45). I prefer the Shield. For around $375, I don't think you can find a better carry 9.