The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2012, 08:33 PM   #26
frumious

I sold my Glock 22 (.40 S&W) because I was afraid to reload for it once I started reloading. I kinda miss that gun.

I have specifically not bought a 5.7 because I don't want to fool with reloading for it. I have specifically not bought at .22mag because folks without lots and lots of patience cannot reload for it. But I might change my mind on the .22mag and just resign myself to buying factory rounds....

-cls
Old November 24, 2012, 12:29 AM   #27
Jimro

Ok, having started my reloading hobby on bottleneck rifle rounds, I don't see how the 5.7 could be any more difficult than 5.56x45, 7.62x51, or any other "tactical" round.

Sure it is smaller, but fundamentally the steps are the same. I guess because it is smaller it requires more precision or you might crush a case or something like that, but heck, dies are cheap.

Jimro
Old November 24, 2012, 12:33 AM   #28
smokin54

I have never sold a gun because i did not reload for it , I did once find a 41 mag case on the ground and went out and bought dies and bullets for it then had to pickup a gun to shoot it out of.
Old November 24, 2012, 03:02 AM   #29
Hawg

I cant see it being any harder to learn than 44-40 and once you get it learned you're good to go. So what if you waste a few cases learning.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:07 PM   #30
wncchester

Ever sell a gun because you dont re-load it?

No.
Old November 24, 2012, 06:37 PM   #31
valleyforge.1777

Sell a gun because I do not reload for that caliber?
I might do this.
I have a Winchester 94AE Trapper in 44 Mag / 44 Special. The ammo is too expensive and I rarely ever shoot this rifle. I don't hunt, so this is just a range rifle for me, and the 44 Magnums are too much recoil pounding my shoulder to make it fun to shoot more than 20 or 25, and the 44 Specials are too light to be much fun. So, I really don't shoot it much. If I were to reload for this caliber, I'd make cooler, lower pressure magnums or hotter, higher pressure specials. I've got tons of once-fired brass for 44 Mag and 44 Special. But I have no plans to reload this caliber. I mostly reload 9 mm, and already have the stuff to reload 38 and 357 Magnum. I am gearing up to reload 223. I would be years away from reloading 44's if I was ever to do it at all, and really I have no need to reload that caliber. I can have all the lever rifle fun I want with customized 38 and 357 loads for the carbine and Trapper's in that caliber.

So, to make a long story longer, after owning this rifle for several years, I am about ready to try to sell it. I don't have any handguns in 44 and I do not really want any. My rule of life is not to sell or trade away any working firearm, particularly those that have a personal defense or home defense applicability. For me, the 44 is really for entertainment (I said, "for me") and so my rule of life really does not apply. I thought about getting one of those XS Lever Scout Scope rails and putting a red dot sight on it and making it a sort of "44 Tactical Trapper," but I keep thinking, "why bother?" I still will be paying 40 cents or more every time I pull the trigger.

For now, I guess I will keep the brass and the rifle, and I've got a 1,000 rounds of 44 Special cowboy ammo so maybe if I ever accomplish my goal of getting about 2 years ahead of myself in terms of 9 mm loading, I can think about playing around with some 44 loading.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:39 AM   #32
xzqzq

Ever Sell A Gun ? Nope

I was trying to remember the last time I sold one of my guns.... has to be 25 years. I buy or trade for them, and keep them. Since I took up casting & reloading @ 3 yrs ago, I am fairly sure that I could load for any gun that I felt like buying, no matter how obsolete or obscure the caliber, [ love old guns ] assuming that dies are available, and brass can be formed for it.
Old November 29, 2012, 11:46 AM   #33
rclark

"Ever sell...." Nope! Only sold one revolver, a SRH, because it rarely saw the light of day.... Not kicking myself on that sale (actually a trade+cash for a original .45 Colt Vaquero at the time) . Have had way more fun with the Vaquero than the SRH saw all the years I had it. Good riddance!

Quote:
I would be years away from reloading 44's
Years? One set of carbide dies and you are in business for both .44Mag/.44Spec.... Primers and lead bullets are readily available.... To me, it's a no brainer. For just a few dollars you can shoot what you like with all that brass you have on hand . Might then start moving away from those pea shooter calibers hah!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 29, 2012, 11:54 AM   #34
jcwit

No!
Old November 29, 2012, 05:27 PM   #35
dwhite

Recently traded in a CZ-82 on a new/used Taurus 24/7 Pro C .40 because reloading 9mm Makarov meant new dies,bullets, and having to make brass from 9mm Luger.

Loved the gun, accurate, great grip. Buying ammo would not have been a big problem but the ranges locally don't allow steel cored ammo. That meant no Wolf, Tula, or Herters, all the cheap stuff.

Too much work.

All the Best,
D. White
Old November 30, 2012, 10:46 AM   #36
Crankylove

I haven't sold one yet............but am trying to motivate myself to sell my Russian SKS cause I don't reload 7.62x39.

I have a decent amount of brass for it, access to dies, and have rifles that use the same diameter bullets, but can't bring myself to load for it when 80% of the brass will be lost.

It's a good gun, reliable, accurate, fun to shoot.....I just don't shoot it anymore cause I am too cheap to by loaded ammo, and won't reload for it. But, I have been "going to sell it" for a year now cause I don't shoot it, but haven't really tried cause I really do like the gun.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:45 PM   #37
Rangefinder

Why on earth would you lose so much brass???? Mil-surp loads throw brass into the next county through my AK, but my own loads are fully adjustable to whatever my liking, and most drop a neat pile of brass almost at my feet.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:25 PM   #38
gwpercle

" They " all said the 25-20 , 32-20 , 38-40 and 44-40 were impossible to load for.... I didn't listen and started reloading for some old Winchester's in our family. Guess what..." they " was wrong, if you can reload, you can reload for anything . You like the pistol...then get dies and go for it. Don't listen to " they ". Don't ever sell a gun you like, that kind of stuff usually comes back to haunt you. If you don't like the gun...that's another story .

gary
Old November 30, 2012, 03:53 PM   #39
Marco Califo

Different way of dealing with this question

No, because: Different way of dealing with this question:
I never buy a gun that I will not reload for.
Old December 1, 2012, 03:30 PM   #40
Jimro

Marco,

How do you deal with rimfires?

Jimro
Old December 1, 2012, 04:39 PM   #41
baddarryl

I have put off getting a 45 until I start to reload. Doe that count?
Old December 1, 2012, 08:00 PM   #42
Marco Califo

"Marco,
How do you deal with rimfires?"

Oh, I tried to reload 22 LR once. But my Lee Universal Decapping die made a mess of the empty, and the hole it poked, won't hold a CCI #34 LR primer. I should have knewn better, damn Lee dies!