The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2001, 04:41 PM   #1
knut

*help* benelli question

Newbie problem with stripping the Super M1:

Could anyone please tell me how to remove the arming bolt (=bolt handle)?

In the manual it says "7) Tear off the arming bolt "... great, but how? Is it just pulling the thing out or do I have to unscrew it? No matter how hard I pull the handle won't come out. I'm afraid to break it if I just use raw force.

Thanks for your help!
Old October 29, 2001, 05:20 PM   #2
Bigdog29

It usually is a little stiff for the 1st removal. With the bolt closed, I pull at the base of the handle. That way you can sort of pinch your fingers between the bolt/receiver and the bolt handle. I basically push against bolt/receiver and pull on handle same time. Or you can wiggle it a little while you pull. Either way, it won't break. Good choice--I love my Benelli.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:43 AM   #3
jthuang

Agree with bigdog -- it can be really stiff the first few times. I called Benelli back when I got my shotgun and they said to use a pair of pliers (after wrapping the bolt handle with a towel for protection) but be very careful if you use that method as not to cause damage to your receiver or bolt handle.

Justin
Old November 1, 2001, 03:59 AM   #4
Schweizer

I agree that the handle is difficult to get out the first times. Just pull really hard - the handle won't break. Remeber that the bolt has to withstand much higher forces when shooting.
The bolt hanlde is held by a spring with a tiny steel ball on top that pushes against it. So if you tear the handle out the spring will move but nothing will break.