The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 29, 2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Zorro

Getting A Handgun from The USA to Alaska VIA Canada

Can this be done?

It is my understanding that Transport of any Pistol Across Canada is essentially Impossible?
Old September 30, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
zxcvbob

If the barrel is long enough (about 4.5"), it might be possible, but generally not worth the trouble. Can you just mail it?
Old September 30, 2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Jim March

Go to Seattle. Drive onto the ferry that bypasses Canada on it's way to Alaska. Like everybody else .

If that thing ever springs a leak and has to head to a Canadian beach things are gonna get real interesting because that critter is the most heavily armed non-naval vessel in the world, bar none .
Old September 30, 2012, 12:11 AM   #4
egor20

Quote:
If that thing ever springs a leak and has to head to a Canadian beach things are gonna get real interesting because that critter is the most heavily armed non-naval vessel in the world, bar none .
Darn. Too cold for Somali pirates

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old September 30, 2012, 12:39 AM   #5
zxcvbob

Are all parts of AK accessible from the ferry route without crossing briefly into Canada? I thought you could only go as far as Whittier without a passport (and with your handguns). How do you get from there to Anchorage, by plane?
Old September 30, 2012, 01:00 PM   #6
tekarra

It would be easdier to ship your guns. Remember you have to cross two borders.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:22 PM   #7
jgcoastie

You can catch the Bellingham to Ketchikan ferry, probably have a couple-day layover, then catch the Ketchikan to Homer ferry.

But the Ketchikan to Homer route only runs from June through September.

If you're going sometime soon, I would say your best bet would be to ship your guns to a dealer at your destination city. I drove the ALCAN last summer, from Homer to Fairbanks, to Edmonton, to Michigan. Not a single problem on the way. There weren't any "shady" spots that I saw enroute. The "shadiest" place I stopped was a 1-pump gas station in the middle of the Yukon ran by a very nice (although chatty) elderly lady.

Why are you going up there? Is it for a hunting or fishing trip? Moving via PCS (which would mean you're either USCG or USAF). Just going up for a vacation?

I can tell you a dozen different ways to get your gun to your destination, including getting it (legally) through Canada. I just need to know where you're going and why. I spent 4 years in AK, should be going back for another 4 years next summer. I'm pretty familiar with the laws and ferry routes. Let me know, I'll offer whatever help I can.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 30, 2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Snow Dog

Go to the RCMP site to get the straight poop:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm
Old September 30, 2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Zorro

Yes Civilian PCS to Elmendorf AFB, So I have to pay my own way.
Old September 30, 2012, 07:58 PM   #10
jgcoastie

Easiest and best way would be for you to catch the Bellingham to Haines ferry. Yes, that route will take you through Canada.

You can either mail your guns to an FFL to a dealer in Anchorage, or include them in your household goods shipment. If you include them in your HHG, be sure to photograph each gun from multiple angles, especially the serial numbers, then make sure your renter/homeowner insurance is up to date.

If you're doing a full DITY move, ship 'em to a dealer. You can go the "register them with Canada" route, but it will end up being just as, if not more, expensive than shipping.

You can always catch the Bellingham to Ketch, then Ketch to Homer ferry... But that Ketch to Homer route is only open from June to September.

Don't expect you'll have any "troubles" along your way in Canada, even if you do, your weapons (in order to be legal) will have to be unloaded and locked in cases inaccessible to the passenger compartment.

Then again, if you are doing a full DITY move, you might want to consider driving all the way, especially if you're hauling a trailer. Anything over (I think) 20-ish feet gets you a bigger ferry fee with AMHS.

When do you expect to transfer?
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:49 PM   #11
sigcurious

Why not go to Whittier? IIRC they run the route most of the winter now and it's a much shorter drive from Whittier than Haines or Homer.
Old October 3, 2012, 03:33 AM   #12
Zorro

Approximately how much is the ferry ride?
Old October 3, 2012, 06:47 AM   #13
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigcurious
Why not go to Whittier? IIRC they run the route most of the winter now and it's a much shorter drive from Whittier than Haines or Homer.
I didn't think there was an established road to Whittier... I know Google Maps shows a "road", but it was always my understanding that it was a snowmobile trail.

I don't remember any signs on the Seward Highway that pointed to Whittier either....

I could be wrong, I haven't been to Whittier myself, so I don't know that for fact.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:16 AM   #14
sigcurious

There is a tunnel through the mountain, starting by portage lake. You've been able to drive it yourself for awhile now, before then you could still get through, but you had to put your car on the train they ran.

The ferry is a few grand and up IIRC, depending on if you get a cabin on the boat and what amenities you get in the cabin if you get one. You are not required to get a cabin however if you don't mind sleeping in your car.
Old October 3, 2012, 05:12 PM   #15
Gaerek

I just moved from Sitka, AK. I took the ferry to Bellingham. From Sitka to Bellingham, the cost was about $600 per car (under 16 feet), driver is included. If you get a stateroom, the price increases, I think about $150-250, depending on whether you get a 2 room or 4 room. As far as going to Homer, I imagine it would be significantly more, say $200-300 per car, and say another $100 for the stateroom. However, it is actually a really nice trip, and you get to see a lot of Southeast Alaska. Those of us who lived along the route called it the poor man's cruise ship.

Something else, you are supposed to check your firearms when you board. I actually didn't realize this until after the trip...whoops. They have a locker they'll put your firearms in.

On board, there's several amenities. There's a gift shop, a restaurant (actually, pretty nice, considering), a "snack bar" that is basically a short order style restaurant. They have a theater room where they'll play movies. There's even a bar on board.

If you can't make it all the way to Homer (from Haines or Skagway, you'll still have to go through Canada), your best bet, I think is to find an FFL in Anchorage, and have your guns shipped there. Call around, and find one that will give you the best deal. Is this a temporary thing, like you'll only be there a few years? If so, it might be worth while to be selective of which firearms you want to bring with you, and leave the rest with friends or family in the "Lower 48" (a term that will become very familiar to you in Alaska) that you trust. Anyway, hope this helps.