The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 8, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1
C5rider

Leupold or Nikon Scope?

I've got a friend who is offering me his Leupold Vari-X II scope. We've not worked out a price yet, but it is a nice used scope with a few dings, not terrible. I have been looking at some scopes lately and I'm just trying to figure out which way (depending on what price we agree on) I should go in choosing a new scope for my baby.

The Nikon Prostaff 4-12 mil-dot is $180 through Midway. It's a new scope and has some of the newer geegaws like Mil-dot sight and such. Here's a link.

The Leupold is a 3-9, which will work fine and, has a great warranty from what I hear. Problem is, I compare numbers and factoids on websites but they're just numbers as I don't have a lot of reference as to what those numbers MEAN. Or, ultimately what they'll mean to me on my rifle. Either one would be much better than the one that is currently on the rifle. I'm just trying to figure out a good price for the used Leupold (for both him and me) and, at what point it would be better to add a little more to the fund and go something newer, like the Nikon Prostaff.

One more thing: When I look through the Leupold, the outer edge of the view is crystal clear but the center is fuzzy. Not terrible, but not crystal clear like the outer edge. I tried adjusting the eyepiece but it hasn't changed. Is this normal? Crosshairs are nice and clear though.

Thanks for any information and guidance!

Last edited by C5rider; January 8, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
One more thing: When I look through the Leupold, the outer edge of the view is crystal clear but the center is fuzzy. Not terrible, but not crystal clear like the outer edge. I tried adjusting the eyepiece but it hasn't changed. Is this normal? Crosshairs are nice and clear though.
Doesn't sound normal. Is there something on the lense on either end?
Old January 8, 2012, 04:52 PM   #3
C5rider

Already checked that. I'm thinking that there was something about the focal length throwing it off. I took it outside and once you start looking at things that are a little further off, they start to get more in focus. That is to say, the fuzziness goes away. Still a little funny that it was fine on the edges, but not in the center area. Yes, i did check the lenses, both ends.
Old January 8, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4
3kgt2nv

sounds like it could have become unsealed and at some point moisture may have gotten in there.

since that model doesn't have adjustable objective on it its not like its the parallax making it fuzzy

Tags
choosing scope , leupold , nikon prostaff