The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 23, 2001, 06:10 PM   #1
The Walrus

Mossberg M590 as sole shotgun?

I've been looking to buy my first shotgun, primarily for home defense but also as a target shooting gun... I'm mostly ignorant of shotguns, and would like to be able to shoot both buckshot and slugs. A friend of mine has suggested the Mossberg M590, he says it can be modified with different grips and stocks quite easily. Would I need a seperate (rifled?) barrel for shooting slugs on a regular basis?

Also, what kind of price would I be looking at for a new M590?

Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome...

Old July 23, 2001, 10:37 PM   #2
cuerno de chivo

Please realize that the a 590 is not a 590A1. The 590A1 is a mil-spec model that is built with more metal and less plastic than the 590. I believe that the ghost ringed sighted models of the 590A1 would be fine for slugs. I do not know how easy changing over to a bead sight for "wing shooting" would be. Removing the ghostring and buying and installing bead sighted barrel from Mossberberg would probably be a PIA and not good for the sight.

I bought a base model 590A1 with bead sight and 18" bbl for $339. I like it.
Old July 23, 2001, 11:56 PM   #3
The Walrus

M590A1

http://www.cellnine.com/pender/web/sg/mossberg_m590.htm

I was thinking of the M590A1, which appears to be the model shown at this URL... looks like it has a mounting point for a laser sight, which seems kind of odd on a shotgun but might be useful in a nighttime home-defense situation.

Have you made any modifications to your M590A1?
Old July 24, 2001, 01:01 AM   #4
DML

Ah! Another source with a wealth of misinformation. Let me point out that no Mossberg 500 or 590 or 590-A1 has a steel receiver. They are all aluminum alloy. In fact, all receivers in this product line are interchangable except for the cheapy that doesn't have the top mounted safety.

Some of the confusion may be due to the large amount of steel parts in the receiver. If you touch the receiver almost anywhere with a magnet you will feel some attraction, but nothing like a Remington 870.

There is a lot of other misinformation on web site shown above, but I don't want to be a smart-a**.
Old July 24, 2001, 01:03 AM   #5
Destructo6

Not a laser sight mount point. That's a bayonet lug and you'll want one as soon as you take possession of your 590A1.

You only need a rifled barrel if you're going to shoot saboted slugs. If you shoot rifled slugs, you can stick with your smoothbore barrel and get good results.

About the only thing I've done on mine is install a 6-round sidesaddle, sling, and the previously mentioned bayonet.

Keep all of them clean.
Old July 24, 2001, 10:35 PM   #6
Michael

I can recommend the 590 without reservation.

It's a good shotgun out of the box. With simple mods it's a great pumpgun.

Advice on mods;

Remove the safety slide lever, expand the hole in the backing plate ONE wire drill size. Keeps the safety from self engaging after shot number two.

Blue locktite EVERYthing. Scope mount screws, safety slide screw, sling swivel studs.

These are things that should be done/checked on ANY shotgun used for protection/defence. PM the thing often.

Accuracy enhancements for under $200.00
Port the barrel.
Backbore the barrel slightly.
Lengthen the forcing cone alot.

These mods reduce recoil, allow the gun to come straight to the rear, staying on target for quick followups, and let the thing pattern 12 pellet buck into 12 inches at 35 yards. That's one hellova pattern for a defence weapon.

Stay away from the Gucci gear, like pistol grip stocks. They work on an autoloader but really limit freedom of movement on a pumpgun.

DO get the Speedfeed stock. Carries four rounds of spare ammo but the real value is in additional damping weight. Those four rounds make a huge difference.

On shooting slugs.
BRENNEKE.......period.

These things shoot point of aim from 40 yards to 100 yards
plus/minus less than 4 inches. Incredibly effective round for extending the range of the weapon. that's what goes into the speedfeed stock.

Hope this mindless babbling was of some help.
Old July 26, 2001, 08:02 AM   #7
Icopy

When you ask your dealer for the 590A1 model, he will mostly say "What?, huh?" That's because the A1 model isn't in most of the catalog sent to dealers. HAve your dealer call and order it. Do not pay more than $375 with 350 being the most common price. It's about 50 to 100 bucks more than the base model 590 but worth every penny. The A1 model is an awesome gun. It's fine for most purposes. The A1 model will have a steel trigger guard and steel safety, thick walled barrel and no heat shield. It will have 590A1 stamped big and bold on the left side of the receiver.
Old July 26, 2001, 09:55 AM   #8
Guyon

Walrus, welcome to the forums!

Sole shotgun?

Well, I know that Mossberg makes a good gun, but if I were spending around $350 for ONLY one gun, here's what I'd do.

1. Remington 870 Express -- about $200 to $225 if you look around for a good deal. Comes standard with a 28 inch Remchoke (interchangeable chokes) barrel. Shoots 2 3/4" and 3" shells. Perfect for birds, clays, etc.

2. 20 inch Improved Cylinder 870 Express barrel with deer sights -- $110 at Cabelas. Perfect for both home defense and for shooting slugs.

3. Mag extension -- about $50 from Choate. The parkerized one will match the Express finish. Only if you feel like you need the extra rounds for HD. Kit also comes with a better follower for the magazine tube.

Remington makes a combo package with both of the above mentioned barrels. Might be able to find it at a bargain. You can see it here: http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870excmb.htm

This is an excellent set up if you're ONLY going to get one gun since it gives you so many different options. And since you'd likely shoot this one a lot (it's your only shotgun after all), as DML suggests, nothing beats the durability of the steel in an 870. My bet is, however, that you'll get that one gun and then wind up wanting another. Shotguns are kind of like Lay's potato chips. Hard to have just one. "Only" turns into "lonely" pretty quickly.

Remington vs. Mossberg is like Winchester vs. Marlin on lever guns or the great 9mm vs. .45 debate. Everyone has their preference, and either side has its merits. And since you welcomed suggestions, I just wanted you to have one more option to consider.

Last edited by Guyon; July 26, 2001 at 10:16 AM.