The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 23, 2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Ideal Tool

Rocket-Ball?

Hello, Since some of the Cowboy action shooters are shooting mouse-fart loads..has anyone thought of the old Jennings Rocket-Ball ammunition?
A deep hollow-based conical with base filled with powder, covered with thin paper or foil, loaded into a percussion revolver? if nothing else, would save loading time..probably not legal.
Old September 24, 2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Crazy Clay

Rocket-ball

I had to look Rocket-ball ammunition up on Wikipedia (maybe not the best source, but quick and easy), as I had never heard of it. Interesting concept and I don't see why it would be illegal as long as the percussion cap is not part of the cartridge. That way I don't see it as any different than the paper or foil cartridge.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has tried this or has some other thoughts about it.

Steven Clay
Old September 24, 2011, 06:39 PM   #3
DrLaw

The only thing I can think of is the old Volcanic bullet, which had a self-contained charge in the bullet.

I think for something like this you would have to have a larger bullet so that the sides would not pull off from the nose by having a larger surface to engage the rifling, ala a minie ball. If you had too deep a cavity, I could see the sides of the bullet (the chamber, so to speak) bursting off the nose.

But I am not an engineer.

The Doc is out now.
Old September 26, 2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Newton24b

not to burst the bubble but,

have thought long on that years ago. the same issue comes up no matter how you look at the problem.

in order to have a bullet that can hold sufficient powder charge, the bullet needs to increase in size. and as bullet size increases so does the necessary powder charge to keep the same velocity.

look at your handgun bullet. if you use a standard 200 grain hollow base conical, your using what 25 grains of powder? that powder charge is going to occupy the same rough space as two 44 caliber roundballs in your cylinder.

so tell me, if you have to increase the legth of the bullet by .9-.95 inches you will have a massive issue with the skirt seperating. to avoid that issue as much as possible youd have to thicken the entire skirt which means more overall bullet length to keep that powder charge up.

also think of the tumbling.