The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2000, 12:07 PM   #1
zip

i need some help on deciding on my final gun
ill be shooting bp for at least this year
ive already got an iga/stoger 20 in. in 20ga
a pair of 51 c&b in 44 with 7 1/2 in bbl what would be a good rifle to go with this and what cal. would you suggest another point is my budget is fairly limited so i need somthing that is not in the upper end of the price range like henrys though id love to have one just cant afford it still trying to come up with an alias but thats a whole nother topic

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old February 10, 2000, 06:55 AM   #2
Ned Roundtree

Well thar kills my suggestion of Henry rifle. Given your choice of revolvers, I thought it was a natural fit. For the budget minded a 92 Rossi is a good gun.
Old February 10, 2000, 06:59 AM   #3
zip

thanks ned i knew someone would say that but there just to high if i could find a henry with a resonable price tag on it id go for it but i will look into the rossi suggestion thanks

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old February 12, 2000, 08:53 PM   #4
zip

any of the rest of yall got any ideas to pass along id love to hear them

also im looking for somewears to find a decent pair o pants without spending an arm or leg any ideas on this question would be apperceatied also thanks

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old February 13, 2000, 03:28 AM   #5
Gunslinger

You might also keep your eyes open for a used Marlin 1894. They can usually be picked up used for about the same price of a new Rossi. If it all possible I'd look for a rifle in the same caliber as the revolvers I had planned for future six shooters.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old February 13, 2000, 09:57 AM   #6
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Gunslinger,

If we're talking about the 1894 CS,then I agree. If we're talking about the 1894 Cowboy,if you can find one for the price of new Rossi,then buy it,'cause you can turn right around and sell it for $100 more than you paid. The Cowboys hold their value very well,mainly because they are well-made,reliable,and popular.

Bellicose Bill
Old February 13, 2000, 10:01 PM   #7
Gunslinger

Nope I was talkin' 'bout the old CS. The "Cowboys" are out of this ol' country boys price range. Although I'm lusting after one in the newly released .41 mag. caliber. The old .41's are getting scarce and are high dollar also.
But if I find one of the new "Cowboys" in the Rossi price range I'll let you know Bill.....right after I buy it.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old February 14, 2000, 08:31 AM   #8
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Gunslinger
You are a dawg
Old February 14, 2000, 09:50 PM   #9
Gunslinger

Yeah and I'd brag about it here to.
Woof, woof.

------------------
Gunslinger

Old February 20, 2000, 11:34 PM   #10
zip

how about winchester rifles they seem like they would work well and some are in my price range is there any probs with them? or are the rossis better/cheeper?

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old February 21, 2000, 10:37 AM   #11
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Zip,

The Winchester 94s are good rifles,but they were designed to shoot longer rifle ammo such as the 30-30. That said,a lot of folks use them. You can't coddle them-a firm hand on the lever will assure a more reliable operation.

Lots of folks shoot Rossi 92s. A lot of them benefit from having an action job done by a competent gunsmith to make them more reliable. A new shooter with a balky rifle is not a good combination. Rossi no longer makes rifles to sell directly to the public-they now make them for Navy Arms,and those are more expensive than standard Rossi's. You can still find Rossi rifles for sale,however. If you can find a used one that has already had an action job,you're ahead of the game.

Bellicose Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Mitchell (edited February 21, 2000).]