The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 12, 2002, 06:06 PM   #1
TOMBSTONE

Silly Question about Recoil pad removal/installation

I have an old Marlin lever gun with an old,big,ugly recoil pad.Probably an add on and not factory.It has two very small holes in the portion that goes against the shoulder,that are so small I can't tell if this is screwd in or nailed or what these to holes are from.Are Pads glued on.I just want to know what may hold it on and how to remove it.Do you have too remove the buttstock to get too bolts or screws from the inside??Help!!!
Old October 12, 2002, 07:33 PM   #2
Romulus

They could be the slits that are normally cut into a recoil pad prior to installation. I've never heard of anyone gluing on a recoil pad, though I guess it's not that important on a Marlin as the buttstock is secured to the receiver by a screw on the tang. Nor have I heard of anyone nailing a pad on, but I guess weirder stuff has been attempted

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old October 12, 2002, 07:45 PM   #3
TOMBSTONE

I'm not sure I follow what your saying.There is a screw in a metal tang by the lever that appears to be what holds wood stock on.There is a recoil pad that appears in my opinion to be over the thin black plastic or hard rubber buttstock plate that is most likely from factory.I guess it could be a spacer,but the brown old ugly recoil pad is what I'm looking to remove.Hence my question on what physically holds on an after market recoil pad and how can I get this fugly thing off my rifle?
Old October 12, 2002, 08:32 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

I'd suspect that there's about a 100% chance there's screws inside those tiny holes, and the black plastic is a home made spacer.
Use a small pocket sized screwdriver to probe the holes. I'd bet there's either a phillips or slotted screw inside.

If there are screws, use the appropriate driver bit and push it through the rubber hole and engage it with the screw. The pad should just come off when the screws are out, but some of the old ones can be stuck slightly in place..
Old October 12, 2002, 10:20 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Like Dfariswheel said, just punch a screwdriver through the holes and you will find screws. If the pad was put on in the last 30 years or so, they will be Philips head.

If you decide to reuse the stock, you may find that it was cut off to make up for the thickness of the recoil pad, so you may have to put on another pad rather than just a buttplate.

Either way, the pad or buttplate will be (should be) oversize. What you do is to screw the pad/plate to the stock (the same way the old pad was on), then protect the stock with a couple of layers of masking tape and carefully use a belt sander to sand the pad or plate down to the level of the stock. Keep the stock lines. Nothing looks worse than a pad or a plate where some goofus cut it to parallel the barrel line rather than to be an extension of the stock line.

Jim
Old October 13, 2002, 07:50 PM   #6
TOMBSTONE

thanks for the replies guy's.Fugly pad is now off the gun.Stock is still at a good length.Now to try and find a metal or plastic buttplate.
Old October 13, 2002, 09:03 PM   #7
Romulus

Sorry, I misunderstood which "screws or bolts" you were referring to, I thought you meant for stock removal, not just pad removal...in any case, try Numrich at www.gunpartscorp.com for the plastic or metal buttplate you want.

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano