The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 17, 2014, 01:26 AM   #26
LockedBreech

That was unclear to me, I must have missed his post. My mistake as to that, tired eyes. I stand by most of my post. Forums aren't indicative of the entirety or even the majority of the firearms world, and a lot of very professional organizations still choose Sig. Internet forums turned a handful of reports of cracked Beretta 92 slides into a problem endemic to the 92 design. For all their great qualities (spirited debates, pretty pictures) forums can have an "echo-chamber" effect where isolated incidents get repeated over and over.
Old August 17, 2014, 02:26 AM   #27
RX-79G

Sure, but people are still buying lots of 92s, and most people even understand that all that was isolated. They may also be aware of the different locking block generations, and the problems with Checkmate phosphated mags. Most people also now acknowledge that kaBooms happened, and what factors were at play. Or that Ruger P-85s were inaccurate and had a recall for decocker ADs. Or how CZs and Witness pistols break slide locks over time. And TFL has gone from being a place with people yelling "HATERS" to accepting the gross problems Taurus has been having and their poor handling of them.

5 or 10 years from now the Sig BS will be past, people will be discussing which models and serial number ranges to avoid on the used market and maybe they'll be able to bring out a new model without having to beta test them on the public.

I'm not sure why a bunch of guys in NH are given credit for designing and building guns with the expertise of SIG of Switzerland or Sauer of Germany.

Can I interest you in a first gen GSR?
Old August 17, 2014, 09:51 AM   #28
TunnelRat

We've gone from talking about the Zastava to debating if SIG is still good.

Did SIG have problems in recent years? Yes. The ones I owned mainly had cosmetic problems such as incomplete finishes on the inside of slides and sights that were just tapped on without any effort to center. Mine all still functioned for thousands of rounds, though it was disappointing to call SIG and have them say it was acceptable. Others were not so lucky and had actual functional issues. But the firearms I have seen coming out of their newer facility seem to be improved and more or less equivalent to those in the 90s (I've owned SIGs from all years). To act like Exeter, NH is the problem also ignores that many great SIGs were either assembled or in the case of the P229 built by Exeter in the 90s. The new facility is a lot larger with numerous checkpoints on QC. Frankly I think they realized their reputation had taken a hit, a reputation built over decades, and they needed to do something in order to keep charging their current prices and prevent that reputation from being destroyed.

To bring up Todd Green as an example of why SIGs are bad and then to ignore that he currently carries a SIG is bizarre. Obviously at some point Todd Green decided to give them another shot, and from what I have read he is happy so far. I'd also like to point out that Todd Green's opinions, like any shooter worth his salt, are constantly evolving. He doesn't adopt one attitude and set it in stone. He allows the option to change that opinion if presented with newer evidence.

As to the Zastava. From what I have seen so far, reports of the latest import are favorable. Century is importing some great firearms these days and giving the market a lot of lower cost options. This is always a good thing. Those boys in VT are doing a good job.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old August 17, 2014, 10:41 AM   #29
jmay

Wow this thread took a crazy turn! Funny you bring up the CZ999 mag thing I just bought a CIA HG3193-N Zastava CZ40 10+1 40S&W 4.25" 40 S&W off Buds should ship soon
Old August 17, 2014, 11:04 AM   #30
jmay

CZ999 Mags & Parts

On these CZ999 anyone have any real experiences with these things? I wonder about availability of simple parts like recoil springs and extractors and stuff.
Old August 17, 2014, 11:25 AM   #31
DA/SA Fan

RX-79G wrote

Quote:
This isn't a Witness or Tristar.
Hey now! Don't go dissing my Tristar. It eats anything and everything I feed it and can reliably spit out death whenever the trigger is pulled. No problem trusting my life to it. None at all.
Old August 17, 2014, 01:18 PM   #32
RX-79G

Tristar makes a good product. It just isn't a product that has any history behind it. Which is fine - neither does the HK VP9. But right now it is a company that makes its money on consumers, not military or police contracts, and that lowers expectations.
Old August 17, 2014, 02:28 PM   #33
DT Guy

So 'history' with the Iranian military is worth more than 'history' with hundreds of US police agencies and the Navy SEALS?

Rokay.....

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old August 17, 2014, 04:19 PM   #34
Uncle Ethan

Tunnelrat- sorry I was unclear. The weapons I trust my life to become very dear to me. Most of my 1911's [other than my collection] are ones I found at shows or gun shops that were basket cases. After I rebuilt them to be 100% reliable with my Swenson loads I get real attached. My sigs have never needed any rework except occasionally installing a 18# hammer spring to safely lighten the trigger pull. After I carry the Zastava a year or so and burn a lot of ammo at the range I'll probably feel the same about it-BUT- It isn't a 1911 or a Sig. I feel about them same as I do my Model 57 S&W's.
Old August 17, 2014, 09:26 PM   #35
RX-79G

DT Guy,

Are you saying when you buy a Sig, you're getting exactly what they send to the SEALs?
Old August 18, 2014, 10:43 AM   #36
jmay

More talk about Zastava less talk about Sig please! You guys need a Sig vs. Zastava thread.
Old August 18, 2014, 06:29 PM   #37
Fishbed77

Quote:
Are you saying when you buy a Sig, you're getting exactly what they send to the SEALs?
If you get a Mk.25, then yes.
Old August 18, 2014, 09:51 PM   #38
RX-79G

Exactly. The SEALs used to get stock German P226s. Now they get a special gun.
Old August 18, 2014, 10:25 PM   #39
TunnelRat

Quote:
Exactly. The SEALs used to get stock German P226s. Now they get a special gun.
I think Fishbed meant that you can buy the Mk 25 now from SIG, at least by SIG's marketing. My comment would be that were I SIG, I would inspect the Mk 25s sent to the SEALs infinitely more than the ones I released to the commercial market (if they are in fact the same gun). As for it being special, it really is just a P226 with phosphate coatings. The Mk 25 designation has been around for a while. I don't see how them using the Mk 25 is proof that the rest of their product line isn't up to par. Nor is the M11-A1 (which isn't used by the military at all as far as I know) actually much different than the P229, again with the exception of some coatings. I imagine any product that is shipped to a military is inspected more (at least more units inspected per batch) than those sent to civilians.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old August 20, 2014, 03:05 PM   #40
jmay

Dont know if Sig builds special firearms for elite groups of the U.S. Military but I do know that the Serbian elite units along with the Serbian police are issued CZ999 & thats what this thread is about right? Or did I get in the wrong thread
Old August 20, 2014, 07:00 PM   #41
Knightsofnee

"Serbian elite units" aka Death Squads.
Old August 20, 2014, 09:39 PM   #42
jmay

Yes DEATH SQUADS. I like that
Old January 1, 2015, 10:35 PM   #43
CZLegacy

just picked up a CZ999 in .40 and have put about 400 rounds through it. One of the mags that came with it is perfect while the other one had a slightly sharp edge and needed a little sanding. Very happy with the pistol. There has been some talk of Beretta mags fitting so I ordered a mag for a Beretta 96 that matches the capacity and will see how it works
Old January 2, 2015, 05:57 AM   #44
Kosmo K

Is it possible to buy one of these Cz-99 / cz999 pistols with a rail, that does "NOT" Say Ez-9 on it? Anyone know? The rail is really no big deal, however it seemed to have a polycoat finish. The other cz-99 Examples I've seen seem to be parkerized.
Old January 2, 2015, 11:55 AM   #45
CZLegacy

Mine shows CZ999 instead of EZ9 on the frame. Looks like the one below

Old January 2, 2015, 09:51 PM   #46
CZLegacy

I started working on some mods for mine and was able to fit a Beretta mag for it:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556626
Old January 3, 2015, 08:47 AM   #47
Kosmo K

What is the finish on this new non railed CZ-999?