The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 18, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
MikeGunz

Check out this smok'n deal!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MAG-079

Cheaper than dirt have lost their minds, this is truely unacceptable. I regret ever buying any thing from these greedy bastards. Talk about taking advantage of a terrible situation.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Hold up for a second. Do we know the price before the incident? I see on their site that there are other mags for not outrageous prices.

No ranting unless there are pre and post pricing info.

GEM
Old December 18, 2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

To answer my own question - I see other sites with quite lower prices.

So is the cited mag in the OP, special in any way?
Old December 18, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Technosavant

It does not appear to be special in any way. It looks like the Gen 2 Pmags with dust covers, which are now out of production (remove the dust cover, it's now sold as the MOE Pmag).

They show as in stock and ready to ship, so it could be a matter of demand vs. supply- most other places are flat out sold out on most AR magazines, and with the rush to buy an automated pricing algorithm may have raised the price (they would normally sell for no more than $15).

But then again, back in the '08 panic I know people were saying CTD was one of those vendors who jacked their prices way up. It's supply and demand, but at those prices I can't imagine anybody who would take that deal. Better to let them sit and rot in the warehouse.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:37 PM   #5
MikeGunz

I ordered a 30 rd pmag with a window for $13 and 2 20 rds for $12 from them 2 days ago. I believe they are just taking advantage of the hysteria.

I ordered this mag for $13.60
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MGMPI570FDE

Last edited by MikeGunz; December 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Metal god

They did this last time . I think we should get the word out and I will not do any business with them now or in the future . I try not to even visit there site . When times are tuff you learn very fast who your friend are .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 18, 2012, 01:53 PM   #7
jimbob86

LGS was $16, Cabela's $15 last time I bought.

$59!!!!!

OWWWW!!!!
Old December 18, 2012, 01:58 PM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have their magazines, they were always around $20 before this.. Here is one just before trashing it. It is the newest magazine I have received..

I will boycott everything from them from now on.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 18, 2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oddly enough, it seems that it's only MagPul's that are that expensive. There are lots of other 30 round mags on their site and they're not overpriced.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 18, 2012, 02:06 PM   #10
scottycoyote

it is what it is....supply and demand. If people want that mag and pay the price, fine....if they think its outrageous and pass and ctd ends up with a warehouse full that never sell, then thats their problem.
Old December 18, 2012, 02:12 PM   #11
jmr40

Mag Puls have become "the" AR magazine to buy. Most others have been sitting on shelves unsold for a long, long time. I've quite a few that I paid $15 for. It would seem that this is truly price gouging.
Old December 18, 2012, 02:28 PM   #12
MikeGunz

I cant imagine anyone paying that price. Has anyone else noticed that they took all their firearms down that were for sale. They are probably holding on to them to wait to have the last AR's in stock and then charging like 3x what they normally go for. Pure greed.
Old December 18, 2012, 02:29 PM   #13
8bit

They've also suspended all gun sales and removed all firearms from their website.

From their Facebook page:
Quote:
Cheaper Than Dirt! is suspending online sales of firearms effective immediately. We are reviewing our policy internally, and will continue to be the leader in the outdoor industry with our full line of gear and accessories.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:21 PM   #14
musher

Quote:
It would seem that this is truly price gouging.
ain't no such critter in a free market.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:26 PM   #15
Joe_Pike

Quote:
ain't no such critter in a free market.
You are correct. It is just trying to profit from a horrific event, which to me, is as bad or worse. This is not the first time that "Dumber Than Dirt" has done this.

I looked at a used gun today that has been there for a while at a shop that I use from time to time. I know they had a lot of room to move on the price and thought they might since it seems to not be going anywhere, so, I asked what the deal of the day was. He told me that the deal of the day was that he had it to sell and the price was solid. I told him that, fortunately, I had everything that I really needed and dind't need to give him any of my money.

Last edited by Joe_Pike; December 18, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:48 PM   #16
MikeGunz

They also have $50 bx-25's.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:16 PM   #17
sgn100391

Whew!! Good thing my 1911 and revolver won't have to worry about any magazine bans.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:22 PM   #18
curt.45

seems to be 29.97 as of now, maybe it was a glitch?
Old December 18, 2012, 08:59 PM   #19
Ruthless4christ

I just took this off of MagPul's official facebook page.

Quote:
"We've received a lot of comments about some retailers charging extremely high prices for our products. We strongly discourage pricing strategies like this with our direct customers, as we just don't feel right about it. Those retailers who are buying through distribution, and not direct, may be worried about supply and reacting to the market with this pricing increase. We are firm believers in free capitalism, and as long as no one is damaging market value through their pricing strategy, we will allow the market to correct this situation, as it appears it already is. We intend to continue to produce and sell our products to support the MSRPs we have set. Magazines will continue to flow to those retailers, distributors, and OEM customers with whom we have direct relationships."