The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2013, 02:57 PM   #1
akinswi

green dot in 44mag large pistol/magnum primer

Since powder is getting scarce to find these days I have 8lbs of green dot powder I have been holding onto.. fellow I bought it off says its an all around good powder for pistol.

Lee second edition reloading data says you can "start" with 7.9 grains of green dot powder on a 240 grain jacketed bullet and should get around 1092fps. It also states to use large pistol primers. I have large magnum pistol primers and wonder if my results would very. I use h110 fine with magnum primers in 44 mag, but my source of this powder and many others has dried up due to the scarcity of reloading components and powder, I know its a better powder but I have a bunch of green dot I can plink with any thoughts

thanks
Old January 20, 2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Pat T

My plinking load is 7.0 grains of Green Dot with a CCI 300 primer and 200 grain Missouri Bullet #5 Cowboy which is a 200 grain round nose lead at .430".

This is a 950 fps load and is accurate with no leading. You could use the magnum primers, but I'd back off a little and work up looking for the accuracy load.

For plinking I wouldn't burn the jacketed bullets, just my opinion. Good luck!
Old January 20, 2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Adamantium

Green dot works well for pistol though it isn't all that common because it doesn't meter naerly as well as other powders. You would probably need a chrono to see any difference in velocity when using magnum primers vs standard. As always start from a reduced load but if you see no pressure signs working up to max, go for it.

Back when Alliant published a load for green dot in 44 magnum using a 240gr jacketed bullet the max load was 8.7gr max for 1190fps. That load, like so many others, was dropped in 2006.