The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 20, 2012, 09:19 PM   #26
Jeff H

The competition guys would never shoot out of a clean oiled barrel. Why would you do so for hunting?
Old December 21, 2012, 11:53 AM   #27
btmj

Quote:
The competition guys would never shoot out of a clean oiled barrel. Why would you do so for hunting?
It depends on where you hunt, and at what range. If you are hunting whitetails in heavy brush, in a steady 34 degree rain with fog and mist for several days... that oil film in the barrel will help prevent (but not stop) corrosion... and since it is heavy brush, with rain and fog, the longest shot you are likely to make is 80 yards... even a 2 MOA error is meaningless on deer at 80 yards. In Missouri woods, deer are taken at an average range of 50 yards. My cousin just took one at 15 yards a few weeks ago.

A 300 yard shot on pronghorn? well that is different.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:26 PM   #28
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I zero my hunting rifle with the first 3 shots from a cold clean barrel so what I shoot in the bush is already taken into account. Since my country is known for cold wet and sloppy I prefer a protected barrel.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 22, 2012, 11:32 AM   #29
arizona98tj

During my first precision rifle course (that is the politically correct name for it), we spent time documenting the following in our log books:

1. clean cold bore shots
2. fouled cold bore shots

If you have a good rifle, and your cleaning method is consistent, the above data points are repeatable. This means you can adjust for the shot and ensure a first round hit. The cold bore shot, whether clean or fouled, is the most important shot, IMO.
Old December 22, 2012, 05:52 PM   #30
Orion6

My Savage 10 doesn't shoot lights out until I have a few fouling shots through it.

I fire 5 or so shots at the range and leave it fouled through deer season (unless it gets dunked or dirty of course).

Some rifles just shoot better with a fouled barrel. They're all unique.
Old December 22, 2012, 07:15 PM   #31
midlifecrisis

I've heard stories of guys leaving the black plastic muzzle covers the army uses on when they fire their M-16's at the range. Nothing happens except they get chewed out by the Range Officer.
Old December 22, 2012, 09:54 PM   #32
solocam72

After I clean my barrel thorough I dry it out and try to foul shoot it a couple times to prevent rust, I have NEVER trusted the oily patch thru the barrel, a good friend of mine that owns and operates Bench Mark Barrels told me one of the worst messes he ever tried to clean out of a barrel was one that had rem oil in it and they shot it with the oil in the barrel instead of drying it out with clean patches, he said it took for ever to get that barrel clean (down to metal) the rem oil in particular seemed to carmelize in the barrel after fired through it, there's a pic of him somewhere on the net trying to scrub that junk out! They build custom high end barrels and hold some records with there barrels, I took his advise to heart and have NEVER left oil in my barrel or shot with it in there! To each his own