The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 8, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1
holt2010

Where to buy german mauser?

Hey guys im looking for a german 98k but i cant find one anywhere. I really dont want to buy from gunbroker since everything on there is always high in my opinion, ive looked everywhere and I cant find one. Can you guys help?
Old September 8, 2009, 07:49 PM   #2
mp25ds4

check jgsales.com, century arms,
Old September 8, 2009, 09:50 PM   #3
CGSteve8718

Patience

Seriously, be more patient in your search on Gunbroker. Yes, there are a ton of scalpers and overnight entrepreneurs on there, but you can find good deals on there, especially for something that is relatively common like an RC K98k.

Look for a good price, reasonable shipping quote, high feedback, and find yourself a dealer to do a transfer for you (if from out of state) for a good price (unless you are C&R holder).

But in addition to mp25ds4's suggestions, try AIMSurplus, Classic Arms, CDNN, AuctionArms (similar, but less crowded than GB), and SARCO.

Last edited by CGSteve8718; September 8, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Erfurter1937

RC Kar 98K

Hello, I've been down this same road recently, currently CheckPoint Charlies has had some, Southern Ohio Gun (You need your FFL Dealer to order for you) mostly 1936-1938 Russian Captures, Mitchell's Mausers also can get a decent shooter in Service select grade for $299.00 the $25.00 to ship has early Weimar Eagle Proofs. Some good ones have shown up on Guns America but just takes time to find the right one, $300-$400 seems to be the price range for Russian Captures with German Markings Not Pinged Out....Sarco has some Rough Yugo M-48's pretty cheap but your going to have to put some time and energy into getting them up to speed to hit the range...Hope this helps..
Old September 8, 2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Drachenstein

Your best buy will be to wait till there's a local gun show. They tend to have the lowest prices and allows you to inspect it prior to buying.
Old September 9, 2009, 07:36 AM   #6
jsmaye

Quote:
Your best buy will be to wait till there's a local gun show. They tend to have the lowest prices and allows you to inspect it prior to buying.
I haven't been to a post-Obama gun show that was anywhere near online prices.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:49 AM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
I haven't been to a post-Obama gun show that was anywhere near online prices.
The last couple I've attended haven't been very busy and the prices were down accordingly. The panic seems to have ended my area, although YMMV.

If you're going to shop gun shows, I'd recommend talking to shooters in your area and/or checking some regional online forums to find out which shows are favored by actual collectors rather than vendors hawking new guns, ammo, and T-shirts. You may have to drive to another state, but that's what the C&R license is for.
Old September 9, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Avoid Mitchell's Mausers, unless you want a hoked up showpiece with zero collector value. I also understand some of the guns they claim are K.98k's are actually Mauser Standard Modells sent to Portugal. Nothing wrong with that (much better than many K.98k's) but just another Mitchell deception.

And, needless to say, the Yugo M48's they sold with claims they were K.98k's were no such thing.

Jim
Old September 11, 2009, 05:45 AM   #9
Erfurter1937

Hoked Up Show Gun

Ha, That's funny about the Mitchell's Mauser, Could not be happier with the service select grade from them and I even reblued The Pimp Shiny Bolt.
Another better story is at a Local gun show, saw a 1939 for about $350 and looked like the Mitchell's Ugly Little Brother... That's for the Mitchell's Basher..
Old September 11, 2009, 07:07 AM   #10
CGSteve8718

There is nothing wrong with Mitchell's if you are looking for a pretty shooter. However, his bashing of Mitchell's is not unwarranted. They outright mislead buyers (especially those new to the milsurp) game with their advertisements.

Like he said, any actual K98k rifles they have are removed of ALL collector value from their refurbishing it. Again, they also marketed Yugoslavian post war M48 rifles as being K98k rifles. They are two different rifles, both of Mauser action/design, but different nonetheless, and one had zero part in WWII.

Their rare/special stamped rifles? Yeah, gimme a break. Ask for a double SS rune rifle and they'll have someone in the back stamp one for you. Ask for a presentation grade Luger to Hitler himself and I'm sure they'll be able to find that for you as well.

That $350 beat up rifle from the gunshow actually has more value than the pretty Mitchell ever will. Get a Mitchell is you know what the deal is, but all of the above is true for new collectors.

There are many guys over at surplusrifleforum that have a lot more to say about them than I do. I don't consider myself that much of a cruffler, but I know enough to avoid Mitchell's.
Old September 13, 2009, 12:16 AM   #11
Wrothgar

Simpson's online LTD will have them. They're awesome - they put pics up of each individual gun instead of putting up a pick of a Kar98 and saying "We have Mausers!"
Old September 13, 2009, 12:40 AM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I've been to Simpson's. They mistreat firearms like no other. The complete lack of CS as well as their attitude sent me home sans rifle but still had my money in hand...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 13, 2009, 07:18 AM   #13
Erfurter1937

RCArms

RCArms has German Mausers in stock.