The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2012, 06:47 PM   #1
droptrd

870 parts fit on Pardner Pump?

Ive been eyeing those cheap H&R Pardner Pump Protectors for a while now. I cant seem to get a straight answer if 870 parts with fit on it. Ive read some place that they will fit and others say they wont. Does anyone have any experience with these shotguns?
Old October 8, 2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Many accessories like stocks and side saddles will interchange, but it's "iffy" on internal parts like trigger parts, etc.
Magazine extensions will be a problem because of the longer magazine tube on the Chinese guns. American extensions will stick out beyond the muzzle by several inches.

The Chinese guns are very close copies of the Remington, but the Remington is made in America to SAE specs, the Chinese guns are metric.
When you get two guns made by different makers in different countries, no matter how close they are some fitting will likely be needed, and some parts just may not work out at all.

Bottom line is; all you can do is test fit whatever you want to replace and hope it fits and functions.
If you're thinking of buying a Chinese gun and replacing a bunch of parts with Remington parts, this may not work out so don't count on it.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

What he said.

If you just want it more or less 'as is' you'll likely be happy with it. Keeping it running for a long time shouldn't be much of a problem, even if something minor like an extractor or firing pin breaks. And I doubt anything major will go wrong, they seem to be pretty solid shotguns (in another 20- 30 years using them we can upgrade that to 'really solid' if everything lasts).

I see no shortcomings with them out of the box as a 'using' gun.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
David White

I bought one of the Pardner Pump 12 gauge guns as a HD weapon. It was cheap and takes the 3 inch shells.
While its not a Mossburg, it serves its purpose well.
I too was told about parts inter change ability as well.
I have owned mine for seven years and love shooting it at the out door range.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Goatwhiskers

Here's a novel thought: how about buying an American product instead of supporting Chi-Com slave labor and sending money over there? GW
Old October 9, 2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Pistolgripshotty

Most 870 parts do fit. Mssberg fan though
Old October 9, 2012, 03:50 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

I believe 870 barrels will NOT fit the Pardner.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:39 AM   #8
RsqVet

Given the cheap price of an express and the even cheaper price and plentiful used express guns who needs the guns from china?

My local shop had reconditioned trade in 870's expess and some wingmasters for 275. Hard to argue that.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Axelwik

Quote:
Here's a novel thought: how about buying an American product instead of supporting Chi-Com slave labor and sending money over there? GW
^^This.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:58 AM   #10
thallub

Quote:
Bingo!!!!
Old October 10, 2012, 12:36 PM   #11
SoilworK777

This sting of commentary can only end poorly.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #12
StukaJU87

Quote:
I'm guessing because, for what most people use them for, a sub $300 firearm is a lot more practical financially then a $500+ that will do the same thing. Sure everybody wants the best. The sad reality is that only a few can afford it. The rest of us have two choices: 1. Do without. 2. Buy generic and hope it's good enough.

Now if you are looking for collector or heirloom value, you wouldn't be looking at "Made in China" in the first place.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Axelwik

Quote:
I'm guessing because, for what most people use them for, a sub $300 firearm is a lot more practical financially then a $500+ that will do the same thing. Sure everybody wants the best. The sad reality is that only a few can afford it. The rest of us have two choices: 1. Do without. 2. Buy generic and hope it's good enough.

Now if you are looking for collector or heirloom value, you wouldn't be looking at "Made in China" in the first place.
I just bought a nice used Wingmaster for $229. My 870 Express, new, cost around $300.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Rifleman1776

Personal attacks are not necessary here.
Sadly, loyalty to ones pocketbook often trumps patriotism.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:10 AM   #15
jmortimer

It is frustrating for some that the H&R Pardner Pump is such a good value and factory serviced by Remington. The Stevens 320 and Hawk shotguns are great deals as well. Rather than provide the OP with an a answer we get cry-baby responses. To answer the question, the Pardner Pump is an 870 clone and all parts will interchange with the exception of the barrel and the receiver is different. Some of the whiners have Glocks, computers, TVs etc not made in the USA. Mine was an exceptional value and my rather large LGS recommended it to me when I had a $200 credit and told me they never gets returns and had sold hundreds. Once again, here are 10 5/5 star reviews from LEOs who actually have the Pardner Pump and use it from Police Link web site. And BTW, unlike the whiners, they actually own the Pardner Pumps and use them.
http://policelink.monster.com/produc...pump-protector
For me, I will continue to go with the Mossberg 500 as I feel it is the best value for me.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:05 PM   #16
David White

Quote:
Originally Posted by StukaJU87 View Post

I agree. When I moved to Vermont, I wanted a shotgun for HD. Unfortunately, I only knew about Dick's Sporting Goods and worse yet, I only had $200 to spend.
I bought the Pardner Pump just to at least have something in the house.
It was also my first long gun ever, oh well, live and learn.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:55 PM   #17
David White

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsqVet View Post
Given the cheap price of an express and the even cheaper price and plentiful used express guns who needs the guns from china?

My local shop had reconditioned trade in 870's expess and some wingmasters for 275. Hard to argue that.
Not when my Pardner Pump cost me $172 out the door brand new..
Old December 12, 2012, 11:15 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

Because the cheap remingtons are junk.

I was a fan of mossbergs, but my 930 experience is changing my mind.

One day i will be able to afford an Ithaca, but until then I would def consider a "Chi-com"
Old December 12, 2012, 11:58 PM   #19
TxGun

It's really difficult to stay purely American-made today. It would be nice if we could, and it would also be nice if the quality-for-the-dollar equation always worked out in our (America's) favor, but neither is always the case. Don't get me wrong here, I'm 150% for buying American, and I don't like a lot of things the Chinese gov't does, but....this is the world we live in now . In any case, it does seem a little hypocritical to knock a guy for considering a Chinese-made Pardner Pump unless you can say your household contains no foreign-made products. Because what you're saying, more or less, is, "if I like a product, and it's foreign-made, eh...it's fine to buy it. But if he likes a Chinese-made shotgun (sold by an American company) then buying it would be wrong".

I don't have one, but based on the ones I've looked over and handled, the Pardner Pump does seem to be a good value.

Last edited by TxGun; December 13, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old December 29, 2012, 01:20 AM   #20
bigminnow

I got a Pardner Protector the other day and ordered a Hogue front grip for it. I ordered one for the 870 since I heard most of the parts swap. Also, I watched some videos on youtube where others had swapped out some various parts.

The Hogue was a super tight fit. I had to use a wooden block to "help" it go all the way on. It was so tight the spanner nut wasn't really necessary but I put it back on anyway of course.
Old December 29, 2012, 03:24 AM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will always be a Mossberg man until I get a lemon or 4... The 500 and Mav 88 are American made guns with some foreign components...

But Mossberg is going to be here a while it appears to me and their customer service has always been awesome to me... Never paid for a part yet...

And when i tell them i would like to show other folks what brand i like, they will throw in a shirt and some decals to boot...

Brent