The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 11, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
troy_mclure

gun powder loads for 45/70??

i just got some 500gr, and 600gr cast lrn boolits for my .45/70.

what would be better pyrodex, or BP?

what loads would you use?(how much bp/pyrodex?)
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 12, 2010, 01:55 AM   #2
byronw999

I load 50 and 60 gr of BP behind 405 gr lead.. Fill the rest of the case with cream of wheat or cornmeal...No prob with gongs at 100 yards..
Old February 12, 2010, 06:50 AM   #3
B.L.E.

The .45-70 cartridge was designed to hold a compressed load of black powder for this gun. Air space in a black powder load is a no-no so if a full charge is too much for you and you wish to shoot reduced loads, take up the space with cornmeal or wads.

I think the original load was 70 grains (that's why it was called the .45-70) but modern web-head cartridges may only have room for 60-65 grains.
One trick to get that much powder to fit in the case is to use a long drop tube to put the powder in the case, there's something about letting powder fall down a tube that makes the grains settle together and take up less space in the cartridge.
Old February 12, 2010, 07:08 AM   #4
darkgael

load

I load 65 grains of FFg BP, add in a grease cookie and seat the bullet, usually a Postell cast 20-1 and lubed with SPG.
For my Trapdoor Carbine - I load 55 grains FFg, the grease cookie, Pufflon up to the mouth of the case and then a 405 grain LFNGC.
Pete