The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 2, 2009, 09:34 PM   #1
sthrnfryedyankee

Leupold Mark 4 vs VX-3

This scope is going to be for my long ranger. I would like a Leupold custom shop scope. Is the Mark 4 worth the extra $300-400 over just building almost the same scope I want in a VX-3? people have mentioned the Mark 4 may have a little more edge clarity over the VX-3 but I really don't see it being that imperative for my application. The rifle will not be used for hunting so the higher power scope will be fine. I am actually considering the 8.5-25x50 as I do not have a spotting scope and I can basically be my own spotter. I like the amount of W&E adjustment in each and both scopes should get me to 1000 yds when practice makes perfect has revealed itself. Any info on either of these scopes would be fantastic.
Old August 2, 2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Norrick

the medium range Mark 4's have second focal plane reticles, whereas some of the Long range Mark 4's offer a first focal plane reticle.

i don't think there's much difference besides the target style knobs and reticles offered