The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 27, 1999, 10:29 AM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Well, I've just returned from Texas, where Kevin McClung and I met Ashley Emerson (of Asley Express Sights fame) for a hog hunt in Paducah.

While rich in hogs, the 10 square mile ranch yielded only one opportunity...Kevin was at bat and blew daylight thru a goodsized meat hog. Ashley and I had a fleeting glimpse of the accompanying hog as she disappreared...neither of us scored.

An outstanding time was had by all, despite weather that was rainy and cold...*quite* unseasonal for this time of year. I got to do some solo hiking and compass work, killed a number of "target rocks" with the Steyr Scout and Colt Delta Elite, spent a half day winching Ashley's buried and disabled truck out of the mud and learned a great deal about gear, rifles, sights and rifle craft.

Slept 3-4 hours per night, ate more beef jerky than any human should consume absent a high colonic and suffered thru two evenings of Jack Daniels, the area yielding not a drop of Scotch.

In short, I can't wait to go back!
Rich
Old April 27, 1999, 09:28 PM   #2
MAD DOG

So, thats where all of my jerky went...
I had a great time too, and was very impressed with the performance of the Sierra 165 gr. GameKing.
I hit the hog on the left, perfect broadside.
The exit wound was dramatic, measuring about 3.25 inches across. The lungs and heart were completely blown out.
Nevertheless, this beast managed to put some real distance in before dropping. Nearly 250 yards. In all of the hunting I have done, I have NEVER seen a critter hit that bad move that far, that fast.
Truly amazing.

Rich failed to mention that he outshot me with my own .44 mag model 29.
It seems that I can not handle the recoil of the weapon anymore, due to the nerve damage in my wrist. It looks like I will be trading it in on something less abusive. I see no reason to keep a gun that I can not hit with.

[This message has been edited by MAD DOG (edited April 27, 1999).]
Old April 27, 1999, 09:31 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

Good to see you back around Mr. Dog..

Congrats on the clean kill.. and, yes, those hogs are rather resilient..
You'd've been better off sneaking up and slicing the heart in two with an ATAK..

------------------
-Essayons