The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 3, 2006, 09:31 AM   #1
EIGHTYDUECE

Getting back into C&B revolvers.....?

Hello all

I am planning on getting back into these and I am ready to purchase a couple of Colt replicas. I had an 1851 Navy as my first pistol in the eighties and a 3rd gen colt Dragoon in the nineties. I am planning on getting one of each now and have a few questions on which outfit to buy from.

1. Is Cimmerron or Uberti the better finished? (I know Uberti makes Cimmerron/Beretta/Colt signature/ etc) Which brand would you recommend?

2. Is there another make that I should also consider?

Thanks for any advice

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old July 3, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Griswold

Get a Cimarron -They're better than straight Uberti's anymore, and the so-called "Colt" 3rd Gen. guns have no real connection with the factory - the guns won't letter like the 2nd gen "Authentic BP" guns of the late '70's, early '80's did. Plus, the "Signature" they're stamped with is historically incorrect. It's almost farby. Only engraved guns bore his name that way, engraved, though, not stamped in the backstrap.

Griswold
Old July 4, 2006, 07:51 AM   #3
mec

cimarron goes the extra mile by unwrapping the revolvers and making s ure they actually work. current Uberti's have fewer problems than in the past and seem to be of uniform good quality regardless of source.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059...ahoo.com/?rs=1
Old July 5, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Wayner

I've got plenty of old Ubertis so I like Uberti. I know their pitfalls and hope the new Ubertis have addressed the problems the older ones had, I have purchased a couple of Piettas. Three Remingtons and a couple of Colts. I like the Remingtons by Pietta and feel they are the more accurate compared to Uberti. What I like about the Pietta Colts are the arbors bottomed in the barrels arbor holes. That is the correct construction and Uberti doesn't do it. In that regard I like Piettas better. I like Piettas chamber size compared to the diameters of the grooves in the barrels. The Piettas seem to be more consistantly accurate because of that. I've heard that Uberti has tightened up the chamber size of their guns compared to the groove diameter of the barrels but am not sure about that. If I were to buy a Colt and wanted the type Pietta manufactures like the 1851 Navy or the 1860 Colt Army I'd buy Pietta. Pietta has really improved over the last few years with the new machines they have gone to. Good tolerances and all. I've heard Uberti has done the same since moving next door to the Beretta plant. I need proof of that though. I haven't bought any new Ubertis lately. Anyone??? I know one thing though since inquiring of the distributors of the cap&ball revolvers. There is a range of quality and quality control that the distributors buy from. The distributors that pay the more money for the higher range of quality control are the ones to buy from. EMF and Cimarron and Taylors toute their wares as such. Are they really higher quality in their products or is it all advertising scams? Not sure. I've gotten products from Cimarron and Taylots that had problems. Never bought from EMF that says in their advertising that they hold Pietta to a strict quality control. In general I believe the range of quality control the products sold in the US by the Italians is still too low when it comes to the cap&ball revolvers. The cartridge guns have a better quality control range. The cap&ballers have a lower range and shouldn't. The same quality control used for the cartridge revolvers should be used for the cap&ballers. The cap&ballers get a bad rap just because of being percussion I think. The cartridge revolvers have better quality because of liability I imagine. I say that if you aren't well versed in the scrutinization of the cap&ballers so as to tell a good one from a bad one then before firing them take them to someone that can tell. Someone that can study the gun and tell a person if it could be a lemon or not. If a lemon then send it back until a good gun arrives. Good money deserves a good gun. It's still a crap shoot as to whether a person gets a good cap&baller. The only way I know to offset the frustration of that is to have a competent person look a new gun over to tell you if it's good or not. A gunsmith isn't always the place to go neither. Too many of them aren't well versed in the "where and what-nots" to look for. An experienced cap&baller is a good person to look over,measure,disassemble and scrutinize a new cap&baller gun. Amen. A guide to let a person be guided along the proceedure of scrutinizing a new cap&ball revolver to tell if it is a good one or not would be really helpful to newbies and even oldies. I don't know where to find such a guide or even if one has been written.