The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 8, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1
big al hunter

Winchester 70 safety adjustment

I purchased a post 64 Winchester 70 a while back. Got a decent deal on it because the safety was acting up. After much studying and fiddling with the bolt and trigger I believe I know what is wrong. The cocking piece was filed down at the sear contact. I'm not sure if this was a bubba trigger job attempt or the result of installing an aftermarket trigger. The factory trigger is what is in it now, and I like it. 4 lbs and crisp. But the safety will not engage.

My question is, can I adjust the safety internally or do I need a new cocking piece.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:24 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Without seeing it, I'd go for a new cocking piece.
Old July 9, 2013, 07:32 AM   #3
big al hunter

Whoever did it, was careful. They did such a good job that it was not obvious until I reassembled the bolt and realized that the two were connected and the safety relied on position of the cocking piece to function.

The cocking piece is only filed exactly where it mates to the sear, and is stoned smooth. The cocking piece is in great shape, just sits 1/16th of an inch to far forward for the safety to engage properly.

I know the cocking piece would solve it. But in searching for it, the 3 places I looked so far are out of stock or don't list it at all. I have a few more places to look. I was just wondering if it can be adjusted in the safety mechanism.

Last edited by big al hunter; July 9, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was just wondering if it can be adjusted in the safety mechanism.
It may, but I would have to see it to be sure. Can you take a photo and put a link to it on here? 1/16" of movement isn't much to make up for, but I would have to see where.

As long as the sear acts correctly, and it is just the problem of the safety not reaching it, to block it, then it could be done.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:40 PM   #5
big al hunter

Attached is a photo showing where the safety can be engaged with the bolt partly open. When the bolt is closed the safety lever will not move. The safety may only need a few hundredths of adjustment. I will post pictures of the cocking piece and sear in a few minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130709_191825.jpg (212.0 KB, 92 views)
Old July 9, 2013, 10:07 PM   #6
big al hunter

Attached are photos of the cocking piece and sear. The sear does not have any apparent filing marks. The last picture shows a dark line at the base of the cocking piece/sear engagement face. That appears to be where the original face of the cocking piece was before alteration. Approximately 1/32 of an inch was removed. I believe this was a modification during installation of an aftermarket trigger. The last part of the directions for a Timney trigger is to file the cocking piece if the safety no longer functions. thank you for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130709_192215.jpg (183.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130709_190709.jpg (234.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130709_192138.jpg (127.1 KB, 92 views)
Old July 10, 2013, 01:36 AM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

big al hunter,

You are correct in what has been done. The problem would be in obtaining a new cocking piece (firing pin), that might still need to be fitted (Numrich doesn't have one). What I would advise, is to let a good gunsmith take it, that can tig weld the sear, and harden it, and the other option would be modify the cocking piece for the safety, and fit and match it. The latter would be try to find a new cocking piece, or tig up the surface of the cocking piece, fit it, and re-harden it. The safety rolls around into a notch to block it, and where it sits now is a little forward from original, so it would interfere with its operation. If you tig weld the sear piece, and fit and harden it, it would push the cocking piece back where it supposed to be, and the safety would work.

The last, install another Timney trigger and adjust it, as I take it the last owner removed it. This might actually be the cheaper route., if you can't locate a new firing pin/cocking piece.

I almost forgot to ask, is the a pre 64 model, or do you know which one?

The main thing is safety, and having someone who can keep it a 'positive' sear engagement, with the poundage you want, but make sure it is safe.

2013-07-10_034805 by matneyw, on Flickr

Winchester Model 70 Diagram by matneyw, on Flickr

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; July 10, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:54 AM   #8
big al hunter

Thank you Dixie, I found a cocking piece at brownells but they where sold out. I think I will try a new Timney trigger. I am always very careful about safety checks on everything I work on. I only work on my own guns and I don't want to be involved in any accidental discharge.

It is a post 64, made around 1980 IIRC. I searched the serial # dates after I purchased it, 2 years ago.
Old July 10, 2013, 01:05 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Remember that the safety has to cam the cocking piece back off the sear enough to allow trigger reset. If it doesn't do that, the gun is unsafe and can fire when the safety is moved to the fire position.

Jim
Old July 10, 2013, 09:27 PM   #10
big al hunter

Thanks for the reminder Jim, I will be giving it the bump test for the trigger tripping and pull the trigger with the safety on (before loading live ammo of course). Safety first, last, and everywhere in between.