The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2006, 01:31 AM   #1
[email protected]

Alliant Unique

Does any have any laod data for using Alliant Unique in 9mm reliading 115 grain bullet. Also would you recommend Unique, if not what other powders are good.
Old May 26, 2006, 06:16 AM   #2
HSMITH

Alliant has load data online.

I like Unique in 9 pretty well. It isn't the first bottle I grab off the shelf but it is an old standby that works well in a TON of different cartridges.

For light loads I grab my bottle of Clays, for heavy loads I grab my bottle of Power Pistol or 4756. For midrange loads Unique and quite a few other powders work very well.
Old May 26, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3
OneInTheChamber

Lee's load data says:

For a 115 gr. JACKETED bullet, not lead! Do not use non-plated lead bullets with this data!

Alliant Unique:

Start Grains: 5.1

Volume CC: .56 cubic centimeters. If your using a lee autodisk, the number you want is .53 (always double check by weighing!) the lee dipper is # .5 .

Velocity: 1092 FPS

Never Exceed Grains: 5.5

Minimum overall length: 1.120.

Pressue is 33200 PSI.

I load them with 4.9 grains unique and a OAL of 1.126 and love them out of a Glock 17. Very low recoil, but still enough "umphh" to qualify for IDPA etc. Never had a failure with them either. Burns pretty clean too. Also, you will overflow the case if you attempt to double charge on accident, which is a good thing.
Old May 26, 2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The only comment I would add is the general observation that the Alliant flake powders, like Unique, typically need to be up near maximum load levels in pistol rounds in order to burn cleanly. If you want a reduced load you will likely want something else if you don't want a lot of soot. HSMITH's suggestion of Clays is a good one.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 26, 2006, 02:52 PM   #5
amamnn

unique

Alliant posts a free loading manual on their wbsite. I use Unique for the 115 gr. 9mm luger and got the info from them. I've been happy with the load.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/
Old May 26, 2006, 10:06 PM   #6
scottys1

For 9mm specifically, you can find other powders that work as well or better depending on your specific needs. For hotter loads, I've had good results with Power Pistol and HS-6. Unique and 231 also work just fine.

That being said, Unique has been around for a long time and there is a ton of data available. It is a good go to powder for most pistol cartridges and for light loads in magnum pistol cartridges.