The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 10, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1
zahnzieh

shotgun scope or no scope?

hey guys, Who out there hunts deer(shotgun) with iron sights and who uses a scope? I find my aim is fine from a tree stand with a scope but get me on the ground for a drive (push) and the scope screws me up every time. On moving deer I just cant get a proper sight picture in time. My buddy (retired cop) says take the scope off and leave it off for both. or should I get a second shotgun for stalking/drives. Sure like to know what you guys think thanks
Old September 10, 2008, 11:09 PM   #2
jrothWA

It depends...

first, what magnification you using? Shot gun is best with a 3X or less.
Are you shooting with both eyes or one?

I have use both irons and scope I fing no difference, the scopes are a Weaver (El Paso)1.5 & 2X.

Give some more info, slug or sabots using?, smoothbore or rifled barrel??
Old September 10, 2008, 11:17 PM   #3
zahnzieh

Jroth. I am shooting sabots, closing one eye and have the scope dialed down to lowest magnification(2x). However, I am left-handed and right-eye dominant - but I have trained myself to close right eye. thanks
Old September 11, 2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Pahoo

My body shop guy was having this same problem and asked me for any suggestions. The problem you are having is due to the scope magnification and that includes low power. You just can't follow a running deer at close range like you are encountering. If your eyes are still farely young, go to fiber optics. I suggested a Red Dot and it's proper use. The next year's drive, he had no problem with moving shots and even took a deer at about 80yds. or so he said. With a Red Dot, it's importand that you keep both eye open and trust that whreever you superimpose the dot, that is where you will hit. This is a great application for a Red Dot.

Another important point is that your shotgun is now a rifle and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze that trigger. I have two trigger groups for my 1100, one for slugs and the other for shotshell.

Be Safe !!
Old September 11, 2008, 12:38 PM   #5
camper4lyfe

I currently use iron sites, as that's what came with mine. I am, however, looking to upgrade to a cantilever barrel so I can mount a scope/red dot. I'm leaning toward red dot, simply because I just don't need the magnification (as of right now), but want a better siting option with a little less guesswork, and less time spent at the range.
Old September 11, 2008, 03:53 PM   #6
shortwave

Pahoo,you know better than to believe body shop guys. I`ll usually use scoped BP during shotgun but used to use Red Dot equiped shotgun as well. Good advice given.Moving targets are alot easier to keep track of with both eyes open.
Old September 11, 2008, 06:52 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

I love my 1.5x-4x scope on my shotgun, never go back. Regardless of your eye dominance it IS faster and more precise than any iron sights. With a little bit of practice you'll get it so you are pulling the gun up "right" and your target will be in your scope.

LK
Old September 11, 2008, 07:06 PM   #8
bswiv

If you are using sabots or slugs then I cast a second vote for a Red Dot. I've used them on handguns, shotguns with slugs and rifles for close in work, whihc is most of what we get while hunting hogs here in Fl.

No magnification and you shoot with both eyes open...............works good.
Old September 11, 2008, 09:43 PM   #9
zahnzieh

thanks everybody! i like the idea of the red dot - but one question - is the red dot mounted with the same eye relief as a scope or is it mounted forward like a "scout" scope on a rifle. I guess if I keep booth eyes open it doesnt matter on eye dominance - sighting in should be done with both eyes open, letting the dominant eye take over even though i am shouldering on the left side?again thanks
Old September 12, 2008, 04:00 AM   #10
bswiv

I mount my Red Dots a little forward.

You can go way forward with it though and get a interesting effect. I was at the Shot Show and had a chance to look at one of the high end rifle makers offerings from France. And yes the French love to hunt and make some VERY nice firearms.

Anyway they had the Red Dot mounted at the muzzle. Looked odd and struck me as being prone to damage or dislodgment. But when you put the rifle up it was a AMAZING sight picture..........
Old September 12, 2008, 10:54 AM   #11
MHbushmaster

red dot optic or irons for me.

I've got an "extra" Eotech (512 model) that has no real "home" on any particular firearm that I've got, so I've been toying with putting it atop my 870 for turkey season and seeing if I can get the pattern to match the 65 MOA at some known/useful distance.

dunno if thats realistic or not, just a hypothesis to test out...
Old September 12, 2008, 01:29 PM   #12
Pahoo

Quote:
shortwave: Pahoo,you know better than to believe body shop guys.
You got that right and did not see it coming. He does good work but issues a lot of bull to go with it.

Quote:
zahnzieh: thanks everybody! i like the idea of the red dot - but one question - is the red dot mounted with the same eye relief as a scope or is it mounted forward like a "scout" scope on a rifle.
The eye releif is longer and as long as you can easily see the dot when you are at anchor, you can mount it as far up as you like and watch your feild open up, not in the scope but in your overall picture. (Not sure of the proper term). Keep in mind that whereever you see the dot in the scope, you are on target. By keeping both eyes open you can see the target and superimpose the dot over it. Both eye are acually working together.

Quote:
bswiv:Anyway they had the Red Dot mounted at the muzzle. Looked odd and struck me as being prone to damage or dislodgment. But when you put the rifle up it was a AMAZING sight picture..........
WOW !!! Sound a bit extreme but makes for an intersting picture and I guess, might prove the point.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 12, 2008, 11:50 PM   #13
zahnzieh

wow! Learning a lot with this post. Thanks for the input - I too have an Eotech without a home - never thought of mounting on a shotgun. i do like the idea of mounting on the muzzle though - dont know if it would stay on long though shooting 31/2 slugs!!