The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 22, 2015, 07:58 PM   #1
dbuffington

Unknown Springfield 1903

Hi Folks!

I'm getting a shot at this 1903 in a few days ...

Alas, all I have right now is this photo, which doesn't tell you much.

But does it tell you anything that helps identify it?

Thanks!
Dave
Old June 22, 2015, 10:23 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have a picture of a Ford car; what kind is it and what is it worth?

That is about the situation here. With just one overall photo with little detail, it is impossible to know exactly what you have. It does appear to have been owned by a target shooter (the peep sight was put on in "civilian life" and decreases the value) and has what might be a "C" stock (or might be a copy of same).

Even the serial number would help, at least to know if the rifle is a "low number" and a potential problem.

Jim
Old June 23, 2015, 06:54 AM   #3
dbuffington

Oh, I know … I'm a Browning shotgun guy, and I get those kinds of unanswerable questions a lot. Alas, that's all I've got until Thursday, and then, I'll only have a few minutes to make a decision.

Thanks!
Dave
Old June 23, 2015, 07:47 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

All a question of price. At $300 for a sporterized 03 it's a good gun, assuming it's not a below 800,000 serial number Springfield. At $2,000 for an experimental gun during the development of the sniper model it's not
Old June 23, 2015, 07:51 AM   #5
Jim Watson

If you plan to shoot it, it should have a serial number above 800,000 if a Springfield Armory, above 286,506 if a Rock Island Armory. If a Remington, all are OK. One look will tell you that.

With Lyman sights and a Type C pistol grip stock, it looks like somebody's target rifle of a bygone era. Probably a fine shooter, if the barrel is not shot out.

Dollar value is less than if it were still in service rifle configuration.