The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 1, 2011, 07:19 PM   #1
vacation

What gun to get

Hi all,
I am toying with the idea of getting into competition shooting, but was wondering what caliber to get and what could gun could I get around $550 that would do the job to get started and wouldn't get me laughed out of the range lol...

I dont care about ammo prices after the initial purchase of the firearm. I would like to shoot .40 or .45 if that is acceptable.

Thanks for your time/help
Old January 1, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Microgunner

What discipline?
Old January 1, 2011, 07:32 PM   #3
vacation

Sorry, I am really new to the competition idea and dont know what dicipline.
Here is where I am at...I shoot a lot of targets out in the woods/field and really enjoy it. 9 mths of the year I am fishing as a hobby and really wanted to shoot some competition the other 3 months to kill some time in the winter mainly.
I am not sure where to start other than I should get a different gun to shoot other than my 1911's, my carry guns or any other thing that is in the closet.

HELP...Where should I start?!?
Old January 1, 2011, 07:38 PM   #4
jimbob86

Quote:
What discipline?
Quote:
HELP...Where should I start?!?
What game would you like to play? The guns that you have would probably work for some of the games out there: Bowling Pin and IDPA can be done with a 1911 .....

Q:Where to start?

A: Where are you at?

Find a local club or range and ask around about shooting matches.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Alden

IDPA and IPSC guns can be 9mm, 10mm, .40 or .45 I believe. I have done Tac 3 gun and the guys were all using Glocks and XDs and S&W M&Ps. These are the most common, but some divisions of IPSC use customized guns too.

I would call someone in charge where you plan to go and ask them.
Old January 1, 2011, 09:56 PM   #6
oldkim

Before you buy a bunch of stuff...

Since you have a few firearms I would suggest you go to a match and see what you'll need. You don't even know you'll like it (just joking - you will...)

I would suggest you go as long as you have a sturdy hip holster and a few extra magazines. Don't worry too much about what gun (take the one you shoot the best with) and what category it falls into. It's easier to go to an IDPA match as most matches will do the safety check just prior to the shoot. USPSA (aka IPSC - requires you to take a safety check prior to (well most clubs anyways).

Read some of the rules and focus on safety. Take it slow and just enjoy. If you don't even know what "discipline" you are looking at why invest in all the money now - wait and see how the match goes and soak in on the fun. Find what works for you and then commit with the gear and all the "competitive" stuff you may need.

idpa.com and uspsa.com both have all the info you'll need to read (rules, etc) and where to find a local club in your area. Do some research but don't let reading the rules confuse you - you'll most likely need someone to explain the rules to some of the confusing rules. Just read it anyways so you can at least have a feel for what each has to offer.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old January 1, 2011, 11:53 PM   #7
CatsEye

Like oldkim said, find some matches in your area and check them out. Get an idea what your interested in then start looking at what tools you need for the task.
Old January 2, 2011, 09:51 AM   #8
vacation

Great advice guys...thanks and I'll check out some of those websites.

Thanks
Old January 2, 2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Osageshooter

Quote:
Hi all,
I am toying with the idea of getting into competition shooting, but was wondering what caliber to get and what could gun could I get around $550 that would do the job to get started and wouldn't get me laughed out of the range lol...

I dont care about ammo prices after the initial purchase of the firearm. I would like to shoot .40 or .45 if that is acceptable.

Thanks for your time/help
I would recommend that you find a gun club in your area. See what competitive disciplines they offer. Take some ear and eye protection and ask to watch what they offer. I bet they would let you do that. We do it all the time for guests. See what you might like to do before you get into equipment purchase. That said, in your price range and caliber preference a 1911 is seldom laughed at. At the gun shop that I go to there is always a used 1911 with adjustible sights for sale. I would recommend those sights for competition in that they can be adjusted to hit to point of aim with a variety of ammo.
Old January 2, 2011, 11:09 AM   #10
kraigwy

First thing you have to do to get into competition is to find out what is available in your area. I'd like to shoot more bullseye, but not to the point where I have to drive 300+ miles to do it. So I found a place close by that shoots a lot of Steel & ICORE. (I really got hooked on ICORE).

Kind of hard to recommend something when you don't list where you live.

I'd recommend going to a few gun shots, ask around and see what types of competition is availiable in your area. You can get a lot of practice in for what you would spend for gas driving all over the country.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 2, 2011, 11:17 AM   #11
HiBC

Just for grins,you might want to attend a SASS cowboy shoot.
Old January 2, 2011, 04:47 PM   #12
vacation

I live in Branson, Missouri and really dont want to travel more than 50 miles to shoot.

I guess what I am asking is if I were going to go fly fishing, I wouldnt bring my zebco 33 wal mart stuff, I would bring my Orvis fly fishing gear and not look too much like a chump.

I would be willing to purchase a sig, s&w, berreta if needed, but dont want to show up with my Taurus or any lesser brand (sorry Taurus owners, I own them too...) but want a good gun that can do a variety of stuff, i.e. Sig p220 S&W M/P maybe...
Old January 2, 2011, 05:03 PM   #13
vacation

OK, I just checked out IDPA and it is headquartered about 40 miles from my home. It looks awesome and just what I am looking for.

What is my next step? Do I just show up at a club there and walk in? Do I need invited? HELP!!!!

Thanks
Old January 2, 2011, 05:22 PM   #14
kraigwy

Quote:
What is my next step? Do I just show up at a club there and walk in?
Yeap, thats about it, show up, tell them you are new and they will help you on your way, SAFELY.

Three things happen when I show up the first time to a differant match or range:

1: I learn something
2: I have fun
3: I meet great people, new friends.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 2, 2011, 07:52 PM   #15
Jesse Tischauser

Missouri has a bunch of good shooting. You should have some USPSA matches near by as well. With that $550 price limit I would get a Glock 17 or M&P 9. If you want to do it right the first time spend another $50-100 and get a Glock 34 or M&P 9L or M&P 9 Pro. You might be able to find some used guns competition G34 or M&P on the Brian Enos classifieds here. You will also be able to find out more about competitions in your area. There are a lot of competitive shooter in MO and several big 3 gun matches that I attend.
Old January 3, 2011, 12:39 PM   #16
vacation

Sweet...thanks for the info
Old January 14, 2011, 12:09 AM   #17
MP9

Hi buddy.

I started with sport shooting 4 months ago when I got my first handgun(IDPA).. I got a s&w m&p9. I think I am not doing so bad.. I have got 1st place, and 2nd, 3rd and 6th.

Check what shooting club is close to you. I have been in IDPA but I want to go to any USPSA, I can practice in the same places where practice IDPA..

If you already have any gun, you dont have to buy any other..you can go and shoot and then to buy other one if you want..

The guns I most see are glock, m&p, and a lot of 1911,usually people who has more time practicing cause you can modify many things in that guns...

I would suggest dont get any gun with thumb safety or magazine safety..

double action pistol I think are in other category, ESP cause the trigger..(not sure)

for IDPA and UPSA some people use the Glock 34/35 and M&P Pro or 9L.. but I think that is after some practice and when you overcome your actual gun.. and it is up to you if you want to invest the money know..

not one will laugh of you.. usually the people there is pretty nice and remember safety first, dont try to go too fasttt without being safe..

good luck and have fun
Old January 20, 2011, 10:10 PM   #18
Lothar

I'm getting outfitted for IPSC and IDPA. Got an M&P9 Pro. Love it. Out of the box, it has a great trigger and the FO front sight is nice. It shoots tight groups as 30 ft. with Walmart ammo.

My biggest frustration was finding more mags. Gun came with two 17rd mags. I couldn't find anyone local that had them. I got recommendations for a number of online companies and most said they were out of stock. The ones that did have them wanted mucho $$ compared to glock mags. What is a reasonable price and why are they so scarce?
Old January 21, 2011, 07:07 AM   #19
TacticalDefense1911

For around $550 I've seen a lot of guys shooting the 5" S&W M&P. Good starter gun that can be used for lots of different shoots.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:32 AM   #20
WESHOOT2

addiction

If one is safe, and the gun functions properly, one cannot "look like a chump".

To me, one who looks like a chump is one who doesn't compete.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:42 AM   #21
MrBorland

Quote:
I am not sure where to start other than I should get a different gun to shoot other than my 1911's, my carry guns or any other thing that is in the closet.
These would likely be fine for IDPA, so you may not have to buy a new gun. You could likely shoot your 1911 in the CDP division, for exampe. Check the rulebook, though.
Old January 21, 2011, 10:10 AM   #22
lashlaroe

I shot my first IDPA match in December with the 1911 Colt Commander I own. It was a real blast, both literally and figuratively. If you use your 1911, then you will shoot in CDP class with others using the same thing, so you do not need to worry about competing with the high-capacity 9s, etc.

Even if you want to shoot a revolver, there's a class for you to shoot in, as long as it has a 4" or less barrel. Revolvers in .38, .357, .44 Special/Mag, and .45 ACP/LC can all be used.

No matter what you choose, even if it's bullseye shooting, I think that you'll find acceptance from the others.

As to buying a new gun first, that's your choice. Who am I to discourage someone from getting another pistol...heh, heh. But you may want to shoot a couple matches first to get an idea what class you want to shoot in and get a feel for what guns seem to work best for what you choose. That's what I am doing.

As much as I believe that there is good in every person, I'm not so naive as to think that all people are essentially good. Evil and evil people exist. Deny that fact at your own risk.
Old January 21, 2011, 10:29 AM   #23
Bulldawg55

What gun to get

What about Bullseye Shooting.
A great dicipline that will teach you trigger control- pretty important in all the other diciplines.
There are almost 14 times more classified Bullseye shooters than action pistol shooters.
There are three gun catagories to be used in competition (22, center fire, and 45 acp). You can cover all the bases here with a 1911 and a 22 conversion unit.

Here's a good link for info. http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

Good luck in which ever direction you go!

Last edited by Bulldawg55; January 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old February 1, 2011, 02:38 PM   #24
spacecoast

Quote:
even if it's bullseye shooting
Even if it's bullseye shooting? Have you tried it?