The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 7, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1
aarondhgraham

What is the difference between Trap and Skeet

I was asked that yesterday,,,
And I realized I didn't have a definitive answer.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 7, 2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Doyle

I recommend Google for a visual but in short - skeet is shot in a semi-circle with shooting stations around the perimeter and in the center. The birds come from two houses - set at ends of the semi-circle. The flight of the birds is always fixed - the shooter moves among the shooting positions giving you a variety of going away shots, crossing shots, and approaching shots. With trap, the shooter stays in one position. The thrower is in front of him and throws out birds at random angles and elevations but they are always going away type shots.

5 stand is kind of a cross between the two. I personally like it better.
Old August 7, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
PetahW

Skeet is essentially a closer-range game than Trap.

Trap and Skeet are both shot (25 shots/chances/targets per game) from the same 5 stations (1 central station if single Trap is the game), spaced around a half-circle, but the centrally-located trap (pigeon/clay bird thrower) is at various set distances ahead of the shooting line in Trap, all targets/birds moving "away" from the shooter.

Trap field

Each of the Skeet traps (there are 2, 1-"low" house, 1-"high" house) are at one end or the other of the half-circle diameter, and throw their targets/birds generally towards one another ( a little away from the shooter) - resulting in either/both high and/or low left-crossing, right crossing, incoming, and/or out-going targets/birds, depending upon the shooter's position.

Skeet field

Both games have "Singles" (one target) and "Doubles" (two simultainious targets) competition.

IMO, "Trap" was instituted to simulate the driven/flushed bird shooting of weathy European landwoners; "Skeet" to simulate the close-range "rough" bird hunting/jump-shooting of commoners.

Last edited by PetahW; August 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old August 7, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
oneounceload

Here is the brochure from Remington - explains the games and give pointers:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...downloads.aspx

Download both the trap and the skeet ones

Skeet was developed as an off season practice for grouse hunters from New England. It originally was a full circle and was called "Around the Clock". Safety issues changed the format. It was also shot with 5 different bore sizes at one time - the 16 was involved originally.

Trap is a 12 gauge only game; the birds are all going away and rising, which is why trap shooters like a gun with a higher POI to POA - skeet shooter prefer flatter shooting guns with a 50-50 pattern. The fields are all identical no matter where you go in the US, whereas sporting clays and 5-stand set-ups are completely different everywhere you go.

Both are fairly easy games to break a lot of targets - the trick to both is remaining consistent with each shot - in may competitions, you need a perfect score to get into the shoot-off to see who wins - sporting clays has only had a few of the very best ever "run" a perfect tournament score

HTH

Last edited by oneounceload; August 7, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old August 7, 2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
Both are fairly easy games to break a lot of targets
Easy for you maybe.
Old August 7, 2012, 01:24 PM   #6
JWT

+1 for Doyles comments.
Old August 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Real men prefer trap over skeet. Right BigJim and Zippy.
Old August 7, 2012, 02:55 PM   #8
oneounceload

Real men prefer Sporting Clays where the repetition doesn't put you to sleep while on station, Klawman!....

Quote:
+1 for Doyles comments.

Quote:
Both are fairly easy games to break a lot of targets
Easy for you maybe.
Sorry, but they are - most folks, with a little practice or coaching can easily be averaging a 20 - while that is not going to win tournaments, that 80% is typically about 20 points higher than most folks shoot while shooting sporting clays and just starting out. it isn't unusual to see first timers shooting in the 30's and 40's - but the game draws them in, like moths to candles, and soon they see more improvement

Trap and skeet (the US versions) are about being perfect in your score to get to the shoot off - which means having your muscle memory in tune that day. Sporting means having to step into each new station to see totally different targets, and after getting to see one show pair - formulating a plan of attack and determining hold point insert point and break point.

If you want to see most US trap and skeet shooters cringe, make them shoot low gun and add a delay of up to three seconds - they'll walk away.

We get them coming down to the 5-stand, crazy quail, and FITASC practice fields at my club - and the true die-hard shooters look at the challenges and realize that they will not be scoring a perfect 25 - and they welcome the challenge and the change - unfortunately, there are also a large contingency whose egos are too frail to shoot anything less than 24 or 25 and won't bother to try it - we have more fun, the game is more sociable, the razzing is continuous, and the targets make you think - what could be more fun that that?
Old August 7, 2012, 03:45 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

I expected a comment from you to that effect, oneouncem but the OP didn't ask about sporting clays. He asked about but the difference between skeet and trap.
Old August 7, 2012, 03:56 PM   #10
aarondhgraham

Yea!,,, Don't confuse me more than I already am.

Yea!,,, Don't confuse me more than I already am.

Gentlemen I appreciate all of your posts,,,
And while I'm still not convinced I could answer my friend,,,
I am not quite as clueless about this subject as I was day before yesterday.

Thanks for all of the well-worded posts,,,
I will get this figured out some day.

You know, perhaps I should buy a shotgun and see for myself.

Aarond

Old August 7, 2012, 04:16 PM   #11
zippy13

I've been shooting targets since long before sporting clays gained popular in the US. It's my experience that the shooters who flocked to shoot sporting clays were those who didn't consider themselves good enough to shoot NSSA and/or ATA events. Or, they had tried trap and/or skeet and didn't do very well. Ask my friend, 1-oz, about his highest class shooting ATA or NSSA.

Trap and skeet are like bowling in that there is a perfect score and it's attainable if you work hard enough. Sporting clays is like miniature golf, there's enough craziness to make perfection virtually unattainable.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:19 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
I expected a comment from you to that effect, oneouncem but the OP didn't ask about sporting clays. He asked about but the difference between skeet and trap.
Ah yes young grasshopper - but if he does not understand the basic games, a century old, he will ever understand these newer - AND MORE FUN AND CHALLENGING ones that are not as old.

Once you finally get your eyes to see with new glasses, you will try the dark side (we have cookies and fun), and once converted, you will never return to the boring life of same ol', same ol' targets.....roll your eyes now in sarcastic refusal- but once you have experienced the nirvana of sporting, you will question all reasons of ever owning a shotgun

YOU HAVE BEEN FAIRLY WARNED KLAWMAN!..........

Once exposed, even BigJim and Zippy will be of no hope to you - give in now to the dark side....................................
Old August 7, 2012, 06:03 PM   #13
BigJimP

You've gotten good responses...and some good links...but what I tell folks that ask at my local indoor handgun range, etc ...are some basics / but all the clay target games have a lot of derivations to them:

a. Skeet is one, sometimes 2 targets in air at once. Targets move hard from shooters left to right ...or right to left. You have to shoot one target moving one way..then reverse your swing and shoot the 2nd target going the other way. Skeet is commonly shot with 12ga, 20ga , 28ga or .410...

b. Trap is usually 1 target at a time. Targets basically move in front of shooter and go downrange vs back and forth like skeet. Trap is usually a 12ga game.

c. Sporting clays is like Golf with shotguns. You walk to each station ( 12 - 18 stations on a typical course)...6 to 8 targets per station. Targets may drop in from behind you - like a duck dropping into a pond / targets may launch up in air off the ground - like a quail / targets may bounce into view like a rabbit ...and in all kinds of combinations.

You can use any shotgun - in any gague - that you could shoot in the field / you don't need a lot of specialized guns to have some fun /ideally you should be able to load 2 shells in the gun ....so yes, come out and join us.

The abuse from my friends aside...( Trap shooters are boring - and lack talent and imagination ...) but in any event ....yes, real men do shoot Skeet ! - but truthfully, I like all the games....well, not Trap so much ....
Old August 8, 2012, 10:05 AM   #14
aarondhgraham

Hello BigJimP,,,

Now that post makes sense to me,,,
And after reading it so do most of the other posts.

Now I have a basic understanding.

My Rifle & Pistol club does have skeet/trap range,,,
I've never used it because it costs extra and I don't own a shotgun as yet.

Thanks again for the information,,,
I leave you with this bit if shotgun humor.

What do you call it when 25 lawyers go skydiving?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Skeet.

Aarond

Old August 8, 2012, 10:14 AM   #15
JT-AR-MG42

I've shot all three and will pitch in as well.

Preface things by stating I am not a top shooter in any of them and am taking weather conditions out of the equation.

Sporting clays/5 stand - too many 'gimmes'.
Most operators, especially the commercial as opposed to club-run, know that higher scores bring back more shooters than a championship course set-up and set their courses up accordingly.
Get to know the operators and they'll admit it.

Skeet- Repetitive targets.
All of your targets travel a known path. Every time. Hence, the smaller gauges in an attempt to create challenges for the better gunners.
Challenging? Yes. Creative? Not so much.

Trap- Now that's 'Golf with a gun'.
And for the simplest of reasons. Your next target's path is an unknown.
I acknowledge that the 'two hole' field was adopted to raise scores, and that you run into more inflexible shooters than at the other venues, but I find the mental challenge of trap to be the most rewarding.
I think that challenge for perfection between the ears accounts for lower turnouts with more going to the Sporting clays and it's more 'exciting' target presentation.

Fire away, JT
Old August 8, 2012, 10:45 AM   #16
M4BGRINGO

What's more fun than razzing your shooting buddies, riding around in golf carts eating cookies, drinking lemonaide/ice tea/soda and once in awhile shooting some clays?

Trap is boring standing at your station not being able to talk to anyone lest you launch a clay from your open yap.

Skeet is more social in that while one person is shooting the rest get to gab and raz the shooter............

Gimme sporting clays over the other two anyday.

But, I'd still rather be shooting my shotgun than any other gun I own!
Old August 8, 2012, 12:39 PM   #17
oneounceload

Quote:
I've shot all three and will pitch in as well.

Preface things by stating I am not a top shooter in any of them and am taking weather conditions out of the equation.

Sporting clays/5 stand - too many 'gimmes'.
Stop shooting those charity/fund raisers - those ARE gimmes and designed that way c0- they make you want to give your money away to a good cause - shoot registered tournaments and you will begin to question your sanity - as in how am I EVER going to hit that &^%&^% target! And then you'll watch some 12 year old clean the station..........
Old August 8, 2012, 01:26 PM   #18
chadio

Lots of definitions and comparisons here. But: they all have some things in common:

1) There is a certain satisfaction of busting a moving target, it has a distinct difference from shooting a fixed target

2) Most trappers / skeeters / sporters are genuine enthusiasts who are more than willing to help someone who is new to the sport

3) You won't really know until you try it. Busting a clay in flight is kind of like learning to ride a bicycle. You can explain it all day long with the best technical writing skills and terminology... but, you have to give it a spin to really feel what is going on..
Old August 8, 2012, 01:59 PM   #19
BigJimP

I encourage every shooter ...to try all of the games / and the games within the basic games ( like in Trap ....shoot 16 yd singles, shoot some at handicapped distances...like 20 yds, 24 yds, even 27 yds ) ...and Continental Trap, or Bunker Trap, or Doubles....its all Trap ...but all very different.... / and Skeet, 5 Stand and Sporting Clays...

Like my buddy OneOunce often says...every sporting clays course is different / like golf courses are different....and the best courses might set it up for a class C shooter to score in the low 60's out of 100 ...and still challenge the AA class shooters as well.../ and weather and wind are factors as well....

Most of us use the basic games like Skeet ...and 16 yd Trap singles --- to work on our fundamentals of stance, gun mount, follow thru - and lead....so we can then take it to the sporting clays or 5 Stand courses....or become better feathered bird shooters....and some guys like our buddy Zippy used to shoot all 4 gagues of Skeet at a very high competitive level..../ all of us evolve in these games...

all of the trash talk ( like I find Trap shooters boring ) is just that ...just talk....shoot all the games / have some laughs ...and some fun.
Old August 8, 2012, 02:00 PM   #20
aarondhgraham

I could grow to hate 12 year olds,,,

Quote:
And then you'll watch some 12 year old clean the station..........
Gee,,, they do that with shotguns too?

That was my experience with Rimfire Steel Challenge,,,
12 year old girl who barely weighed as much as her Ruger Mk-II smoked us all.

I don't want this to happen again,,,
I only want to compete against half-blind pot-bellied old farts such as myself.

Aarond

Old August 8, 2012, 02:31 PM   #21
BigJimP

Hey now that's rude....I represent that remark....

shot with a young guy yesterday - probably 28 yrs old or so ( skeet ) ...he managed a 96 out of 100.../ he has a lot of potential, if he really focuses to get better. He needs a good coach - to push him a little and go to the next level...or he's not going to get past the local club level. But he has pretty good form - for being mostly self taught....and he's having fun.

For most of us getting older ..and developing eyesight issues is really hurting us ..../ but most of us old guys held our own in the low 90's with him..so it wasn't too embarassing. One of the old guys managed a 98 - so we kept him humble as a group...anymore, a score of 92 is about the best I can do.../ but I'm not whining ( even my worst days ---are pretty great ! ). After all - shooting is not how I make my living...
Old August 8, 2012, 02:45 PM   #22
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've shot, all since Y2K, the following.....

Trap singles, doubles and handicap.

American Skeet, and Skeet by International rules.

Wobble Trap and Wobble doubles.

Flurries and Wobble Flurries.

5 stand.

And Sporting.

Most fun for me, darn near everything.

Least fun, Skeet. YMMV....
Old August 9, 2012, 01:02 PM   #23
PawPaw

I grew up shooting skeet. Literally, my first paid job at age 12 was a trap boy at the local AFB skeet range. Every Saturday, 12 hours, from 7am to 7pm. 50 cents per hour. At the end of the day the trap boys got to finish shooting any opened boxes of shells. In 1966, at age 14, I bought my first shotgun from the club. Paid cash across the counter and no one blinked an eye. It was a special order Win 1200.

Shot trap after college, when I was a member of a club outside of Louisville, KY. Got my 100-straight patch at that club. Dumb luck.

Helped set up a sporting clays course when I was a director of our local club in Natchitoches, LA. Just about the time someone figured the course out, we'd change it.

The most fun for me, is shooting 5-stand with my kids on Sunday afternoon. It's a hoot to go to the local club and burn up most of a case of shells with my kids and grandkids.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com