The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2007, 09:48 AM   #1
jclayto

Do you think this would be safe?

The ammo I am making calls for a starting load of 14.1 grains and a max load of 15.2. I would really like to try out some loads this weekend, but I do not have a double disk kit yet. Using the stock disk I can throw 14.7 loads. I know you are always supposed to "Work up" from start, but for the sake of trying out my new press, how do you feel about starting in the middle of the range? It's going in a Desert Eagle, so I am pretty sure I will wind up having to load in the mid-upper end of the range anyway.

I ordered the double disk, should be here next week.
Old June 21, 2007, 09:57 AM   #2
captain54

Yes, you are supposed to start low and work up. I however, typically do not start at the very low end with the loads that I make as long as all of the components for the published load are the same as the ones that I am using-ie the published load is using cci primers and I am using cci primers. I normally start at the middle of the range and work up from there. I would advise that if you use this approach, that you do not load up hundreds of rounds with out doing a test batch first.
Old June 21, 2007, 10:02 AM   #3
jclayto

thanks! I was thinking i would make 10 or 20 just to try them out. What can I say, I am like a kid at Christmas with a new toy.
Old June 21, 2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Do you have a scale? If so, why not weigh out some starting loads? Not many, I don't know how tolerant the Desert Eagle is of light loads.

If not, chances are that 14.7 gr disk does not really deliver that much anyhow.
Old June 21, 2007, 10:34 AM   #5
jclayto

I have a hornady beam scale that seems to be pretty accurate. I was going to use it to make sure that the 14.7 setting was really 14.7. I had not thought of using the scale to measure out loads and hand pouring them, that makes sense.

From all I have read and been told it's not tolerant of light loads at all, so chances are I'll end up near the top of the load. But I would feel safer starting low since I am new to this.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Also, forgive me if this is a really dumb question. how do you recommend cleaning up powder spills and disposing of the spilled powder? Seems I have read that the shopvac is not the best solution.
Old June 21, 2007, 10:48 AM   #6
cdrt

I think the main concern is the shopvac causing a spark that could ignite the powder. They do make sparkless vacs for range use when cleaning up "green" powder (the stuff that doesn't ignite when you shoot off a round).

You didn't say how much you spilled. I've used my shopvac to clean up very small quantities of Bullseye without any problems.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old June 21, 2007, 11:00 AM   #7
jclayto

It was a small quantity. I am am not sure if it was normal or not, but after charging a few cases with my pro powder measure, i turned it to off and unscrewed it to look at the disk. There was some powder build up on top of the disk and I managed to spill that.

I really appreciate everyones input.
Old June 21, 2007, 01:27 PM   #8
Cpl Nobbs

for powder and so forth, those little "shark" hand vacs are cheap and useful. the stuff is caught in a little fabric cup in the front (I save all that in a "mixed powder" container that I save for Halloween)

even used it to suck up spilled primers.
Old June 21, 2007, 03:28 PM   #9
The Real Wyatt

I remove the tool from the end of the shop-vac, place a hnadkerchief over the hose, poke a little pocket in the handkerchief, grasp the hose-end and handkerchief tightly and turn the shop-vac on and vaccuum up the spill. When done, hold the hose upright and turn the shop-vac off. Gather up the ends of the handkerchief and pull it outta the hose. I've picked up as much as 2-3 ounces this way. Take the handkerchief outside and dump the powder on the ground under the rosebush (watch out for thorns!).