The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2007, 10:06 PM   #26
Buckythebrewer

+1 to savage17.I don't want to reload steel cases because of the what-ifs.If I was going to try it, I would feel alot better by Neck sizing only
Head case seperation is not something im willing to try.Kind of like going to prison with a long blonde wig On .I'll Pass
Old January 19, 2007, 12:56 AM   #27
XD-Ro

142.47 per 1000

in reply to Windwalker

142.47 with club membership shipped with a free shipping coupon (check ar15.com for it)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=149177
Old January 19, 2007, 10:04 PM   #28
rickh

Thanks Ziesloft!
I will watch for them....
I still ahve about 2k to go though plus whats coming! Man I need a dillion 550b!
But ya know, priming, charging and seating bullet aint that big of a deal for single stage press, its all the brass prep work that takes all the time.
I picked up a few wolf steel tonight while at the indoor range. Will mess with them but doubt I will relaod them. Mayby full length size them and do some destructive testing.
Rick H...
Old January 21, 2007, 10:16 AM   #29
Zeek5793

Thanks

I'll take most of your advice, and discard, the wolf Brass,You are all right 223 Brass is to easy to come by, and I'm not going to take any chances, with me or my Grandkids, Safty First,,
Thanks to All & GOD BLESS
Zeek5793
Old January 21, 2007, 11:36 AM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've reloaded steel cases before, but only in cases where proper brass cartridges have been unavailable.

It is, generally, a pain in the ass.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 21, 2007, 11:28 PM   #31
rangermonroe

Bwahahahaha!

I may be over the flu crap/stomach bug that has ruined me for the past two weeks!

After sufficient application of antibiotics and a little of grandad's cold medicine, I have finally approached the reloading bench.

Going to the range in the AM. with 10 rounds of Wolf reloads. I will post results after I return from the range or burn ward.

What I have loaded is: Wolf cases, neck sized only. CCI 400 primers (small rifle, non magnum), and I used 3 different charges of powder. IMR 4895, 24.0; 24.5; & 25.0(c). The max in my book calls for 26.0 (c), but I am not trying for anything but functionality.

I also loaded some brass cases with the 24.5 recipe, but with cleaned cases, neck sized, trimmed & chamfered. All will be shot through my homemade AR with a DPMS 1/9 SS bull, and a BSA sweet 223 6x18.

I will not be able to deliver any info other than 'it works', "it seems accurate/or not", etc.

Tomorrow, I have neither the time nor patience to do an exhaustive range work-up. I don't even own a chrony.

As I took the original poster's question to be "is this stuff reloadable... once or twice?"

I hate throwing away once fired 'brass', because we all know that it can't be done. If someone wants to load warstock, or blaster ammo... would steel work?

We shall see.
Old January 22, 2007, 12:40 AM   #32
Buckythebrewer

Be carefull of shoulder displacement when using neck sizing only dies in a semi..Do you have an rcbs precision mic to check it(or something)?If the shoulder displaces to much it will keep your bolt from closing freely(not safe)..
Old January 22, 2007, 07:56 AM   #33
rangermonroe

No, I do not.
Old January 22, 2007, 07:59 PM   #34
Zippy06

I'm with you rangermonroe.
I hate to toss brass. I even, reshape brass, that has been step on.
Then, there is the issue, of the berden primer pocket? I think I spelled it correct.
Hey, the smileys changed????????
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old January 22, 2007, 08:02 PM   #35
rangermonroe

It is boxer primed.
Old January 24, 2007, 06:25 PM   #36
CrackerJim

Even if the gun could take it or has safety vents, a case head seperation is no fun. Not easy to get the case out of the chamber with no base on it. Steel cases have short reload lives and much less warning of case head seperation than brass.

Not worth fooling with for me.

Jim
Old February 26, 2007, 12:55 PM   #37
rangermonroe

Range Report

Well, I finally shot these.

All three combinations fired flawlessly.

The 25 grain loads were a little hot, with the primers being 'outties'. The other two loads looked the same coming out as they did going in, just 80 grains lighter.

Accuracy was equal to the brass rounds I was firing with the identical components.

As far as to 'why?'.

If you are as fanatical about brass as I am, it bugs the crap out of me to lose one. If I am shooting/hunting where I may lose many of them, they make a good choice. Shoot them and leave them.

I could tell no difference between the brass loads and the steel ones from the back end.
Old February 26, 2007, 10:02 PM   #38
Toolman

Ranger, glad to know you survived & have both hands, all ten fingers & both eyes. Nice to know that those particular steel cases could be reloaded once.
I'm not going to take the chance.
Old February 26, 2007, 10:19 PM   #39
Edward429451

Thats interesting rangermonroe. I had loaded one round of 45acp steel case before just to prove it to myself but have never reloaded a stell cased rifle round. My 45 was no different than any other round and looked like it could have been loaded again.

The big reason not to reload steel is for your dies! Even with lube it's a lot harder on the dies. The other reason is the mallability and work hardening of course.

But the point is...it can be done in a pinch. I wouldn't reload steel more than once no matter what.
Old February 27, 2007, 09:28 AM   #40
rangermonroe

Not advocating it by any means.

I frankly got tired of hearing " it can't be done, Ever! That is what I heard", but no one even tried.

So, I did.

I will load some for my Mini 14, to keep me from publically weeping when I lose a peice of brass.