The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 16, 2010, 09:27 PM   #1
brianbelanger

BEST MOONCLIP SUPPLIER ? S&W 610 10m/40

Hi, a beautiful new 610 is ordered and I am shopping for moonclips for IPSC competition. This purchase was based upon excellent advice from members of this forum in July, thank you to all.
TK custom offers carbon steel and stainless, Pinnical has a great rep also, how about S&W made moonclips? I will shoot major with .40S&W in the clips. I've read bad things about plastic clips. Your advice and experiences would be appreciated. Thank you, Brian
Old September 16, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
stevieboy

I don't know what the "bad things" are about polycarbonate clips. I have RIMZ polycarbonate clips for my 625 and I swear by them. Unlike the steel variety you can easily load and unload them by hand. They hold the rounds securely and work just fine in my 625. They retain their shape well -- they don't deform. Steel clips, on the other hand, can get bent and that can cause binding problems. I use both steel and RIMZ in my 625 but, more and more, it's the RIMZ for me.
Old September 17, 2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Lunkhead

I bought a batch of RIMZ for my 610 years ago. No problems, no complaints, no regrets. Both of my sons were able to load/unload them as relatively young shooters. Not sure the metal ones requiring a tool would pass that test. I will buy more if they ever wear out, which is does not appear to be any time soon.
Old September 17, 2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

another Rimz user here... I have a 610 that I had chambered for the 10 mm magnum cartridge... & so far the Rimz hve been working great for all 3 cartridges, even the much longer 10mm Magnum cartridges...

since you are planning on shooting competitively, I'd start with how you are carrying your reloads ( what works best there ) & then go to the gun, as IMO, they all work well in the gun... one type might work better in / on your reload retention system???

Old September 17, 2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Stainz

First, no 10mm/.40 experience here. But - lots of .45 ACP (625) and .38/.357M (x8 627's). I like Ranch Products moonclips. The blued steel ones are all you need there - and I believe my last 625 .45 ACP x6 size were $35/100 delivered, while the 627 .38/.357M x8 size were $50/50 or $75/100 delivered. Both calibers load easily by hand with Starline and Remington brass. They strip easily with the $16 nutdriver-styled demooners like Brownell's sells. Check with them for current prices.

Stainz
Old September 17, 2010, 08:23 AM   #6
RWK

RIMZ, and without any question. I have an older (un-fluted cylinder) Smith 610-3 and have fired thousands of 10mm and .40 S&W rounds (of all types) from it; it is a truly wonderful N Frame.

RIMZs are SUPERB moonclips. They cannot rust, they do not crimp or remain bent/distorted out-of-ideal shape, tools for installation and/or removal of cartridge cases are not required. and they are extremely durable; I have never worn one out after literally thousands of rounds fired. This is all due to their precise polymer construction. I have used them for competition, concealed carry, pest hunting, target shooting, plinking, and self-defense (both concealed carry and home protection). In every instances, their performance has simply been flawless; I cannot recommend them too highly.

I would NEVER consider traditional, steel moonclips after many years for experiences with RIMZs.
Old September 17, 2010, 10:44 AM   #7
brianbelanger

TheFiringLine is a deep well of wisdom and enthusiastic opinion, advice appreciated

RIMZ certainly have a loyal fan club, I will buy some. Is there any experience with: S&W factory moon clips, Dave Hearth of Hearthco (website?), Pinnical, TK Custom? Regretably TK Custom refuses to sell outside if the USA according to the website. I'm in Montreal. Moonclips are not a restricted item, as gunsites are for example. I'm a frequent client of Brownells, without difficulty. Speed-E-Rack is what I was considering for a clip holder however I am unclear how it would matter which moonclip I would use? Would RIMZ also work with it? Thank you again for your generouse advice. Brian

Last edited by brianbelanger; September 17, 2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Typo
Old September 17, 2010, 10:50 AM   #8
spacecoast

I bought blued metal ones for my Model 22-4 from Sportsmansguide, 20 for $9, and they work well. They can be a bit tough on the fingers while loading, but they're not too bad if you're careful and it seems they will last as long as I need them. Demooning is easy using a small screwdriver as a pry bar between the cases.
Old September 17, 2010, 11:27 PM   #9
scottys1

I bought a good supply of Ranch Products moon clips when I got my 610.

They load easily by hand and unload easily with the Brownell's demooner tool as Stainz already mentioned. I've had no problems so far even after several years and quite a few USPSA matches.

I've heard many good things about Rimz moonclips. If I ever need to get some more, I'll probably give them a try.

Tags
.40s&w , 10mm , 610 , moonclips , s&w