The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 19, 2015, 11:47 PM   #76
drobs

Sorry doesn't do anything for me. Looks like a blocky Walther.
I am curious as to what you gave for it?

Jeff Cooper 1st considered this pistol to be a "crunchenticker." That was not a positive comment.

"In view of the continuous complaints we get about the sale price of the Steyr Scout, we now offer a proper response. It seems that Herr Budischowsky of Eislingen, Germany, is now offering what he considers to be the pistol to end all pistols. This is the "Korriphila Model HSP 701" and its retail price in Germany is 15,900 Deutsch Marks. (Last we heard there were about 1.7 DM to a US dollar.) This, of course, is in its deluxe version in solid Damascus steel. Its less ornamental brother in plain blued steel is way down at DM 8,000. Basically it is a 9mm crunchenticker, but it may be offered in the future in a major caliber. I do not know if Herr Budischowsky is taking orders at this time, but you might check with him at the SHOT Show."
http://myweb.cebridge.net/mkeithr/Jeff/jeff6_10.html

Looks like Jeff Cooper was later given one in 45 acp for review and liked it.
http://larvatus.livejournal.com/488294.html

It reminds me of a Stery GB. Still doesn't blow my skirt up.

I remember finally getting my hands on a Sig 220 in 45 acp and not caring for it at all. Crunchenticker - would be a good description of the trigger. To me the trigger felt springy in both SA and DA.

I'd always read that the the Sig 220 "was the next best thing to sliced bread." I finally realized why so many gun writers loved the Sig 220. The reason was it worked out of the box with Hollow Point 45 acp. To get a Colt 1911 to work reliably with fmj ball much less jhp you needed to send it off to a custom gunsmith. The Sig was one of the 1st 45's that was actually out of the box reliable - no "break in" required.

Last edited by drobs; September 20, 2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old September 20, 2015, 07:53 AM   #77
bac1023

Quote:
Sorry doesn't do anything for me. Looks like a blocky Walther.
I am curious as to what you gave for it?

Jeff Cooper 1st considered this pistol to be a "crunchenticker." That was not a positive comment.

"In view of the continuous complaints we get about the sale price of the Steyr Scout, we now offer a proper response. It seems that Herr Budischowsky of Eislingen, Germany, is now offering what he considers to be the pistol to end all pistols. This is the "Korriphila Model HSP 701" and its retail price in Germany is 15,900 Deutsch Marks. (Last we heard there were about 1.7 DM to a US dollar.) This, of course, is in its deluxe version in solid Damascus steel. Its less ornamental brother in plain blued steel is way down at DM 8,000. Basically it is a 9mm crunchenticker, but it may be offered in the future in a major caliber. I do not know if Herr Budischowsky is taking orders at this time, but you might check with him at the SHOT Show."
http://myweb.cebridge.net/mkeithr/Jeff/jeff6_10.html

Looks like Jeff Cooper was later given one in 45 acp for review and liked it.
http://larvatus.livejournal.com/488294.html

It reminds me of a Stery GB. Still doesn't blow my skirt up.

I remember finally getting my hands on a Sig 220 in 45 acp and not caring for it at all. Crunchenticker - would be a good description of the trigger. To me the trigger felt springy in both SA and DA.

I'd always read that the the Sig 220 "was the next best thing to sliced bread." I finally realized why so many gun writers loved the Sig 220. The reason was it worked out of the box with Hollow Point 45 acp. To get a Colt 1911 to work reliably with fmj ball much less jhp you needed to send it off to a custom gunsmith. The Sig was one of the 1st 45's that was actually out of the box reliable - no "break in" required.
Well, the trigger is one of the nicest DA/SA triggers I ever felt. Its both short and smooth. It obviously needs to be somewhat heavy, but its not overly so. Its much better than a Sig P220's trigger, in my opinion.

I don't find it blocky at all, but to each their own, of course. In fact, I love the ergonomics. The profile shape was based on the classic Smith & Wesson 39, which also feels great in my hands.

Its the build quality, parts quality and fitting, and just overall refinement and attention to detail that really strikes me the most about the HSP. I basically feel its the finest pistol in the world from those standpoints.

While I don't own every single high end pistol ever built, I am fortunate enough to own at least three quarters of them, with some of those basically the same as the few I don't. There's one about its equal in some aspects and a couple others close, but I don't think any of them quite match the Korriphila completely. That's how highly I think of it.
Old September 20, 2015, 12:35 PM   #78
lifesizepotato

Isn't "crunchentinker" something Cooper coined and used dismissively about pretty much every German DA/SA gun just on principle?

As bac has said, the HSP trigger is just about the perfected form of a DA/SA - utterly smooth, short, evenly weighted, and not overly heavy in DA, and the SA is as good as many match SAO triggers, with no creep and virtually no overtravel.

Though, of course, it is quite wobbly, not having a dual trigger bar design and all.
Old September 20, 2015, 06:57 PM   #79
rock185

I had the opportunity to converse with Colonel Cooper at Gunsite on a couple of occasions. The Col. was quite certain in his convictions. Mine did not always mirror his.....

Last edited by rock185; September 23, 2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old September 20, 2015, 09:01 PM   #80
barnbwt

"Jeff Cooper 1st considered this pistol to be a "crunchenticker." That was not a positive comment."
Cooper was often a blind, bigoted fool who couldn't ever see past 'Murican stuff he'd used up to that point. He'd be dismissed as a blowhard in today's information-rich environment, if he himself wasn't made a lot more open-minded because of it. He did have a way with words, though, which made up for it in entertainment value (something too often lacking in the gun reviews biz these days)

"Basically it is a 9mm crunchenticker, but it may be offered in the future in a major caliber."

Figures that he cared for the pistol once it was in his beloved 45acp. Can anyone else imagine the scolding a gun writer would get in the comments section today, for dismissing such a fine piece of engineering & craftsmanship out of hand like that? Dorkenfanboy is more like it.

I wonder how much better the Korriphila's trigger was than all the various (of that vintage often finicky, unreliable, and poor quality) 1911's he was always pimping, directly or indirectly?

TCB
Old September 21, 2015, 12:16 PM   #81
Walt Sherrill

I think Col. Cooper played an important role in the development of today's handgun practices, but like many personalities, over time, came to believe in his own infallibility.

He'd fit right in, today, if he were running for political office.
Old September 22, 2015, 04:47 PM   #82
bac1023

Quote:
I wonder how much better the Korriphila's trigger was than all the various (of that vintage often finicky, unreliable, and poor quality) 1911's he was always pimping, directly or indirectly?
It sort of apples and oranges, since the 1911 is SAO, but I would say the Korriphila fared pretty well. Its was 10 times more solid than any 1911 made at that time.
Old September 22, 2015, 08:09 PM   #83
745SW

Cooper did have a following. I knew a fellow named Joe that I didn't get along with well until I found he was a Cooper fan. He bought into the Bren Ten early, hopefully he wasn't disappointed because many were. They have both past away.
Old September 24, 2015, 02:44 PM   #84
rock185

Col. Cooper wrote about getting hold of a half dozen Walther P-38s after WWII, and he and a group of Marines experimenting with them. This early post WWII evaluation of some P-38 pistols would seem to be the genesis of his "Crunchticker" opinion of DA/SA pistols. Subsequently, his observation was that DA/SA pistols did not win in practical pistol competition. The Col. made a list of what he believed to be the several disadvantages of DA/SA pistols.
Old September 30, 2015, 05:55 PM   #85
bac1023

Quote:
Col. Cooper wrote about getting hold of a half dozen Walther P-38s after WWII, and he and a group of Marines experimenting with them. This early post WWII evaluation of some P-38 pistols would seem to be the genesis of his "Crunchticker" opinion of DA/SA pistols. Subsequently, his observation was that DA/SA pistols did not win in practical pistol competition. The Col. made a list of what he believed to be the several disadvantages of DA/SA pistols.
I can't say I disagree with that...
Old October 1, 2015, 11:47 PM   #86
lechiffre

Quote:
Isn't "crunchentinker" something Cooper coined and used dismissively about pretty much every German DA/SA gun just on principle?
Any DA/SA regardless of country of origin, unless it had the option of "cocked and locked"(selective crunchenticker?).

I wonder what he thought of the HK P9S. It was DA/SA with a slide mounted safety that looks like a decocker,but isn't. Then there is the lever on the frame that looks like a decocker, but actually cocks the internal hammer when it is at rest. "An answer in search of a problem" would be my guess.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old October 4, 2015, 09:46 PM   #87
lifesizepotato

I posted a 4K shooting video of the HSP tonight for those who'd like to see it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm4HA99DFUs

Not sure if the quality comes through in the short clips, but that's what the review will be for.
Old October 4, 2015, 10:47 PM   #88
factoryrat

Thanks

I enjoy getting to see post about guns of this quality.
If you or potato have time, can we see the field strip process? If not how about a few picts of the internals with the slide removed.
Old November 22, 2015, 09:13 PM   #89
bac1023

Quote:
I enjoy getting to see post about guns of this quality.
If you or potato have time, can we see the field strip process? If not how about a few picts of the internals with the slide removed.
Sorry I missed this. Pics can be found here:

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/kor...-ever.1586383/