The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2014, 11:51 AM   #1
Chick

40 gr FMJ .224?

I am looking for a 40gr FMJ .224, in a spritzer. Heck, I can't find any 40 gr FMJ period. They load the 22 Mag with 40 gr FMJ, but bullets are not available.

Anyone know who makes them, or where they might be ordered?
Old March 23, 2014, 11:58 AM   #2
JD0x0

It's likely there are not many. The .22 mag uses the 40 grain's that it does because of twist rate (usually 1:14) with a FMJ bullet there's not much reason why you shouldn't add weight. There's no expansion, so reducing the velocity doesn't really hurt anything and the extra momentum and higher SD adds penetration, which a FMJ is supposed to do. Heavier bullets also tend to have better ballistic coefficients. So they don't lose velocity as fast, and wind doesn't affect them as much.
That's my reasoning why slightly heavier FMJ's exist in .224 and not the light ones that you desire because there's no real advantage to a 40 grain FMJ, other than more velocity than a heavier bullet, but remember due to the low BC, it's going to lose that speed fast...

Bottom line, there isn't any real reason to use a 40 grain FMJ over a 55 grain FMJ, which is probably why they don't make them or many of them.

IMO there's only two practical reasons to use a FMJ. Preserving pelts/meat, something an expanding bullet may destroy. And barrier penetration in a firefight. A heavier bullet would likely be preferable for both of these situations.

Last edited by JD0x0; March 23, 2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old March 23, 2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Chick

And, I am trying to do less damage to fur. It appears you thought I was loading for a .223, but it is for a 22 Hornet, which has a 1 in 16" twist, and will not stabilize the 55 gr bullet.

They also load the 17 HMR with a 20 gr FMJ bullet. Someone recognizes the need for it. One other thing, if you are gator hunting, you do not want to use anything but a FMJ for a dispatch rifle. If you use lead or any other type bullet, there is shrapnel firing when you shoot the gator in the head, at close range.

I need a 40 gr FMJ, in .224, preferably in a spritzer boat tail.
Old March 23, 2014, 11:52 PM   #4
JD0x0

Ahh you didn't mention the cartridge or twist rate in the initial post. Sorry to say, that twist rate is REALLY going to limit you, if it is in fact 1:16

Even more sorry to say, that it wont likely stabilize a 40 grain spitzer boat tail either. At least not according to Berger's twist rate calculator using the 40 grain V-max's length as a basis. (it's a 40 grain boat tail spitzer)
For a 40 grain bullet in a 1:16 .224 diameter, you wont be able to exceed a bullet length of roughly .57 inches. The V-max is .686 inches in length.
Sounds like you're going to be stuck with very light, short bullets, with your current twist rate.

You may also want to look at certain 'match hollow point' bullets. I know the term 'hollow point' might confuse you a bit, but these bullets, despite having a 'hollow point' are not meant or designed to expand, and will function similarly to FMJ bullets AFAIK. That may open up your selection of bullets slightly.

Last edited by JD0x0; March 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old March 24, 2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Chick

Heres where real time experience kicks the snot out of theory. Yes, my barrel is a 1 in 16, which is standard for the Hornet, which is designed for a 45 gr bullet. My rifle does not like the standard 45 gr bullets, but LOVES the Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tips. The bullet is so long though, that I have to seat it way deep to fit the magazine. So deep in fact, that I am crimping on the ogive of the bullet. But, it groups less than a 1/2" at 100 yards with a 2986 fps average. The Hornet brass is so thin, that crimping is a necessity.

I didn't mention my caliber because all I was doing is looking for a bullet.