The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 28, 2013, 09:29 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

DIY descrete rifle range bag

Having lived in a big city, I never really cared for cases that shout, gun! Here's a fellow who has thoughts on making his own and does so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA1c9...iQvp1A&index=1
Old April 28, 2013, 09:59 AM   #2

I have often thought about this myself.

I never want to advertise the fact that I have guns. As was mentioned, there are a number of reasons why. I guess the two biggest reasons would be theft, and having uninformed/brainwashed people thinking you are a nut because you own guns. Whatever the reason, I can't think of ANY good reason to let other people know you own guns. Even though I am not doing anything wrong, I always try to put guns in my vehicle so that no one sees them. I have thought for years about buying some kind of cases that appear to be something other than gun cases. The problem is that gun cases are cheap. I have never shopped for something like a guitar case, but I always assumed that they would be significantly more expensive. And, I frequently take more than one rifle to the range, so I would need several.

I don't even like to get packages sent to my house that are obviously gun related. Again, I am not doing anything illegal or immoral, however in today's society there are many people that think that gun ownership is wrong no matter how responsible and safe I am.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 28, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

Blackhawk...

There are a few armed professional/PMC/sworn LE outlets;

www.blackhawk.com www.5.11tactical.com www.csmgear.com www.policehq.com www.cheaperthandirt.com .
There are cases & bags that are low profile.

CF
Old April 30, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4
breakingcontact

I've thrown a rain jacket over what I'm carrying. May look odd/out of place, but a person can't tell what it is anyways.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:34 AM   #5
TRX

I prefer not to advertise what I'm hauling out to the car, so I started looking for bags.

If you go to eBay and search for "sports bags" you'll find all sorts of stuff for storing your basketballs, jai alai sticks, and the like. Many of them will comfortably swallow several normal-length rifles.

Unfortunately, I wanted something that would hold my Mosin 91/30. It was a couple of inches longer than any bag I found, until I happened on a "golf bag bag." It's a bigger bag you put your golf bag in, basically. It holds the Mosin with a couple of inches to spare.

I have a sheet of 5mm plywood to make a rigid inner box, but for now I'm just using rigid foam and towels to keep rifles from banging into each other.