The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old March 20, 2013, 05:23 AM   #1
rajbcpa

Lets pass a law to eliminate crimped military brass

I hate this stuff and it is a PITA to de-crimp it during reloading. I can see no reason why military brass is crimped.

This is the only gun control legislation that is needed and which would be effective now.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:09 AM   #2
4runnerman

I believe it is crimped for a few reasons. One it is harder for your enemy to reload and it is more secure in inclamate weather. I'm sure someone will chime in. On a side note. It is very easy to remove crimp and takes only 2 seconds to do.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Bart B.

The reason military brass has crimped in primers is a functional issue. If they were not crimped in, then an extra-high pressure situation in a machine gun may expand the case head and primer pocket enough that the primer would fall out when the case was ejected jamming the full auto mechanics rendering the weapon inoperative.

It's less a problem with semiauto and bolt action service rifles, but it can and has happened.

Ever shoot a round in your rifle after debris got into the barrel and had the primer fall out of a case as you ejected it?

Arsenal match ammo used to have crimped in primers but that was stopped in the 1930's.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

It has nothing to do with the enemy reloading your brass. If the enemy were intent on reloading your brass, wouldn't he take two seconds to do so?

It has EVERYTHING to do with keeping the primer from popping out when the ammo is used in automatic weapons.

The United States and other nations began criming primers as SOP I THINK sometime in the 1920s or 1930s, or when aircraft began to mount guns where the pilots couldn't get to them to clear a jam.

After that it was simpler to crimp everything. Then you didn't have to create a whole separate leg of the supply chain to get crimped ammo to just air corps units.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Barbicatter

I will trade you my mixed lot of commerical brass for the pesty crimped military brass
Old March 20, 2013, 07:37 AM   #6
gdvan01

Quote:
This is the only gun control legislation that is needed and which would be effective now
Huh?
Since when is ANY gun control legislation 'needed' or 'effective' and what does that have to do with the manufacture of ammunition?

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old March 20, 2013, 08:22 AM   #7
FlyFish

I'm sure you could find a couple of Senators who would be more than happy to eliminate crimped brass for the military, and for civilians, along with non-crimped brass, bullets, and the firearms that use them, and just about anything else that makes us a free country.

Edit: We all recognize that the OP was just kidding about outlawing crimped brass, right?
Old March 20, 2013, 09:06 AM   #8
ScottRiqui

I understand the crimped 5.56mm and 7.62mm, but does the military have anything full-auto that's chambered in 9mm? I see a ton of crimped "WCC" 9mm military brass around here.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
higgite

Quote:
I hate this stuff and it is a PITA to de-crimp it during reloading.
Don't use it?
Old March 20, 2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

"but does the military have anything full-auto that's chambered in 9mm?"

Yes. Some special units use the HK MP-5.

Old March 20, 2013, 10:18 AM   #11
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Yes. Some special units use the HK MP-5.
That makes sense - thanks. I imagine most of the crimped 9mm brass I'm finding was fired from the regular old M9 and M11, but I can understand the military crimping all of its 9mm ammo, rather than having to maintain separate ammo types just for the sub-guns.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:14 PM   #12
iraiam

Besides assuring that the primer won't come out in an automatic weapon, If you have ever seen a pallet of ammunition through a military supply chain, you understand another reason the primers are crimped in, and why bullets are crimped in a cannelure groove.

Personally, I designed my own crimping tool and will crimp the primers back in when I load some of my full power 5.56 recipes that are intended for defensive purposes and long term storage.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 20, 2013, 01:09 PM   #13
5 STRING

I love MilSurp stuff,.. I guess that goes back to the USMC in my bloodline. I just picked up 400 more rounds of Surplus 30.06 I'm almost happy,..need another thing or two
Old March 20, 2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Steve in PA

I never knew our adversaries where collecting our brass to reload it.

Keeping the primers from popping out is the reason.
Old March 20, 2013, 05:48 PM   #15
steelman762

Like it was stated earlier mil crimp is done for full auto firearms to keep them functioning without problems. Lake City (LC) brass is quite popular in reloading circles. I just remove the primer crimp with a foster deburing tool. Mil brass is more durable than factory brass. I don't have any problems with it.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:25 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

I have no problems with crimped primers, unless using sub-standard reloading dies. (*cough* Lee *cough*)
Old March 21, 2013, 04:53 AM   #17
Martys

No problem for a Dillon swag 600.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:08 AM   #18
balderclev

Takes 1 sec

I use a countersink bit in my drill and touch the crimp for about 1 second each. Gets rid of the crimp with no problem.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:24 AM   #19
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I have no problems with crimped primers, unless using sub-standard reloading dies. (*cough* Lee *cough*)
I'm confused - I didn't think that die brand mattered when it came to crimped brass.

Are there other brands of dies that will seat a primer in a crimped case without first removing the crimp? Or are the Lee dies "sub-standard" simply because they don't offer a decrimping/swaging die in their lineup?
Old March 21, 2013, 07:32 AM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I'm confused - I didn't think that die brand mattered when it came to crimped brass."

Exactly.

I reload almost exclusively with Lee dies, and I've never had any problems with their ability to handle crimped primers in either rifle OR handgun.

"Are there other brands of dies that will seat a primer in a crimped case without first removing the crimp?"

That is NOT a function of the reloading dies, and the simple answer is, if the primer pocket is crimped, you're going to have problems no matter whose dies or press you use unless you first remove the crimp.

Old March 21, 2013, 08:28 AM   #21
Rifleman1776

This thread is easily in the running for this years "non-issue" award.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:51 AM   #22
gdvan01

Quote:
This thread is easily in the running for this years "non-issue" award.
"Bring out the Crimp"
Oh wait, wrong movie...

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old March 21, 2013, 10:02 AM   #23
Frank Ettin
Staff

Question answered.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread