The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 22, 2011, 11:46 PM   #1
roostercogburn

Sauer 38H

recently bought a Sauer 38 H and have been reading for info, looking for any additional info. I know it is a commercial production because it does not have the military proofs, the serial number is 2621xx which i believe is early on and they started around 26000. it does not have a safety which also makes me believe it is early. i thought i read that they made about 3600 early on before they decided to make more and those were the ones that did not have safeties. i also have the GI bringback papers that go with the gun so i know it was brought back from the war. thanks for any info
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sauer1.jpg (227.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg sauer2.jpg (222.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg sauer3.jpg (223.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by roostercogburn; September 23, 2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: adding pics
Old September 23, 2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Doesn't have a decocking lever, either. I thought that was a sign of a late production gun, not early.
If you have sn 262,1xx and they started at 26,000 that is not early production.
Or is yours 26,21x?
Old September 23, 2011, 09:23 AM   #3
roostercogburn

mistype on my part, the serial numbers started out at 260,001 and mine is 262,198 which would put it in the first 3600 made which would make a variant b and supposed to be rare from what i read last night and this morning. as for the decocking lever it is simply not on there, not sure if someone took it off or it broke off but all the elements are gone, spring, lever and retaing clip. the actual screw it sets on is still in the frame under the grip though.
Old September 23, 2011, 12:42 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

They all had the lever, right up to the end. Only some of those built from parts for American troops did not. In fact, the lever was the reason Sauer did not originally put on a manual safety, arguing that the gun could simply be decocked for safe carry, then fired double action, but the military wanted the safety lever, so it was put on, but was omitted from late guns. I believe the one on the gun in question was simply removed, probably in the U.S., by someone for some reason.

Jim