The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 8, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
joe.308

Location: jacksonburg Ohio. population 52!! (its between Cincinnati and Dayton)
what do i have!!??

hey yall... new registeree but i have read quite a few threads over the past year or so and a lot of responses and what not have seemed to be well educated.. so, here it is. my grandpa gave me an old rolling block .22 from way back when. it looks a lot like the old stevens favorite .22. but all the pictures i have seen they have hexigon recievers and mine is just round.. all he had was the reciever, no barrel, no stock. so i dont have much to go off of. i will try to get pics but can anyone help me out?? what is it!!
Old February 8, 2011, 09:04 PM   #2
SundownRider

Welcome to the forum.

Without pics it's really hard, especially since you don't have any marking to go off of. Post a pic or three and you'll get your answers pretty quick. There's a lot of expert on this forum and they know a lot more than they let on.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old February 8, 2011, 09:32 PM   #3
joe.308

OK.. thank you. Sounds good. I'll try and get some pics by tomoro.. thanks.
Old February 9, 2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Scorch

Hard to say without a picture. Stevens made many single shot tipping block rifles, notably the Favorite, Little Scout, Crackshot and Marksman, and the larger models 44 and 44 1/2. There are also other single-shot rifles made by other companies. If you have the entire action and not just the receiver, you can probably rebuild it.
Old February 9, 2011, 04:52 PM   #5
joe.308

That's actually what I have, just the working action.. but I have already acquired a .22 barrel off of what I'm not sure but it will be easy to retro fit it to work. The stock on the other hand is another, and harder story. Have started on it out of a chunk of white oak. I am mostly making it for my son, so it will be small.. he is only two. It will be a few years before he is able to shoot it but he is already obsessed with guns.. good boy