The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2000, 10:53 PM   #1
Rob01

I am going to be buying a Sharps and have been told that I can't fire all 45-70 loads though it because of the pressures. I ran across the PMC which says it reproduces the original load with the 405grn LFP and a velocity of 1250fps. I'm sure this is safe but I was wondering how the leading was with this load? How about accuracy? I've never shot lead from a rifle before and plan on shooting both lead and jacketed bullets with loads from my Sierra manual. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on loading for the Sharps along with any info on the above load for me. Thanks.
Old November 2, 2000, 07:42 PM   #2
JimWolford

That load is a duplicate of black-powder ballistics, as far as velocity, I have shot *many* such rounds in both black powder and smokeless, in a wide variety of 45-70 rifles over the last 50 years.

Don't worry about leading, the tendancy toward leading at that velocity is more a function of your bore smoothness ( which is built in by the factory) and the lubricant used on the bullets, which you can only control when *you* make the ammunition.

When you buy your rifle, buy one of those good quality one piece rifle cleaning rods, a really sturdy one like the Dewey brand.

Also look around for one of those lead removers as sold by Hoppes. The ones that use a special ramrod tip and a disc of brass screen such as used by bullseye revolver shooters.

They are made for specific calibers, so get one for the 45 caliber, that gizmo and a really stout cleaning rod will remove all traces of lead from a rifle bore quite easily.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be