The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 25, 1999, 10:41 PM   #1
Blue Jays

Hi Friends-

Planning on purchasing a new Rem 870 that will be shipped out to either SGT, VangComp, or ROBAR for final touches.

Which would be the better "base gun" to begin modifying? Is the Rem 870 Police Magnum a strengthened version as compared to the Rem 870 Express? What's different, aside from visible things like the synthetic stocks vs. wood?

Seems you can obtain the Police Magnum with an 18" barrel. Conveniently, it wouldn't have to be cut and crowned afterwards.

There is a considerable price difference, a basic Express starts around $250 here in the Northeast. The parkerized Police Magnum w/extended magazine tube runs about $420.

What are some of your feelings on the "essential modifications" to the shotgun that would make it a truly complete and effective tool?

I'm pretty experienced with pistols, but this shotgun thing is a new game for me! Your input and suggestions will be sincerely, sincerely appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 27, 1999, 09:43 PM   #2
Blue Jays

Hi Everyone-

Did some research on the outside to help the decision along, I'm comfortable with the Police Magnum for a few different reasons. It will be sent out for hop-up work. Thanks.
Old May 28, 1999, 08:18 PM   #3
olazul

Hey blue jay,

What did you find out? I looked into this awhile ago and only found 2 differences:
1) that the mag tube was threaded which facilitated an extension and
2) that the reciever was heavy duty and would take magnum loads

regards

olazul

Old May 30, 1999, 03:04 AM   #4
Robert Foote

FWIW: I am not particularly a shotgun person but was an LEO trainer up to retirement and managed shotgun qualifications as well. Our guns were the 'police' model 870s. We experimented around somewhat, putting ghost rings on, orange high-vis followers, etc., but found that other mods were not particularly useful for us. I recently decided to get a personal 870 and do some similar mods. The 'police' models are harder to get now. The gun that I got (today) was the 870 Express Deer, factory order #5565. It has a dull matte finish (not parkerizing), 20" improved cyl. choke, rifle sights, and a 'hardwood' (birch?) stock with a monte carlo comb. It also has the flexi-tab lifter. I understand--but have not verified--that it will NOT take 'law enforcement accessories'. Having tried most of them I am keeping the gun very stock so don't care about that. About the only things I will change--incrementally--will be to fit up ghost ring sights, an orange follower, and shorten the 14" pull of the stock which is a bit long for me. I will consider a big head safety and a sling in future, and perhaps a 'side saddle' ammo carrier. I paid $280 total for the gun and think it is every bit as good as the police models we used. I may even like it a little better with the monte carlo as it may not hit my cheek as hard.
Old May 30, 1999, 02:30 PM   #5
Tallison

Blue Jays-
I would really like to know what you found out. I'm thinking about doing the same thing and I'm not quite sure what to do.
Old May 30, 1999, 07:22 PM   #6
chucko

I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum. I purchased the Combo set which included a 20" fully rifled slug barrel and the 26" smooth bore with removable Rem-choke. I later bought an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. I think this selection of barrels make it very versital and multi-purpose. The only thing I found to restrict it accepting LEO accesories was that it has 2 endentations on the end of the magazine tube ( right under the barrel collar ) that would prevent the addition of a magazine tube extension. These are easily removed by pressing them out with a barrel dent remover or by simply drilling them out.

Chuck
Old May 30, 1999, 09:46 PM   #7
Shrike9

I have a old Remington 870 express that I'm planning on sending off to SGT or Van COmp. I just do not know what all I want done yet. This will be ny first shotgun for somthing other than shooting birds for food. What all options should I look at?????

Any help will be mucho apprecieated!!!!
Old May 31, 1999, 11:29 PM   #8
Blue Jays

Hello Tallison & Olazul-

From what I've learned, Olazul is correct plus some other small details:

* Parkerized finish

* Synthetic stock is standard equipment

* 18" barrel. Scattergun Tech, Vang Comp, or ROBAR will all cut and crown any barrel for a reasonable charge, I'm sure.

Police version tends to be a bit more expensive, so it makes sense to keep an eye on the used market. Thanks everyone.

Blue Jays

Old June 1, 1999, 12:26 PM   #9
olazul

Shrike9,

I am no expert by any means but here is what I want to do when possible. See Roberts post, FWIW I think he is right on. The list is in order of my perception of importance.

1) ghost ring sites and barrel work from Vang. I figure this is the minimum enhancement. with the ghost rings you get faster target acquisition and better accuracy and with the barrel work the pattern will be as precise as possible.

2) a sling and big head safety

3) Mag tube extension, high visibility follower, and sidesaddle. Additional, easy to reach ammo is always nice.

Another option is to add the light. Ideally the light would be beneficial but more expensive. Since my "bump in the night" firearm is a beretta 92 with a handheld surefire light(ease of movement, opening doors, turning corners etc...), and I like the wood stock, this is not on my list. If you get the light you might as well get the speedfeed synthetic stock as well. Pistol grip will be a matter of preference.

What do you experts think?

Olazul