The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 12, 2012, 04:50 PM   #26
Wolverines

Savage 340 A

Hello,

First time poster here and I realize that this is an old thread but please bear with me.

I recently purchased a Savage 340A 3030, extremely good condition. The stock is free of nicks and major scratches and has only water spot like imperfections on the wood. No rust, it's a nice rifle that I searched for. Why? Because a family friend gave one to my younger brother and I always liked the darned thing.

My brother's was a "newer" model as it was drilled and tapped for a side mounting scope. 4 screws and it was ready for a scope.

Mine is not drilled and tapped, which is perfect for me. I don't want a scope .. and I recently picked up a Williams FP340 receiver sight. Now I have to do some work to update the front sight to a fiber optic. I realize the task at hand will not be an easy one but I'm kind of anal about this kind of stuff and will take the time to do it right.

That being stated, (whew!), I have an old receiver sight that was given to me about 35 years ago. I found it in a box of stuff that I was going through to clear some space. It does not fit the 340 or I would have used it instead of the FP340.

I have no idea what it would fit and there are no markings of a manufacturer on it. I'm thinking it's from the 50's, only because the person that gave it to me hung on to stuff almost as long as I do and he's long gone now.

Can anyone identify this piece? any idea on what it's worth? Am I using the correct thread to find an answer?

Here are some pics of the sight:

Old December 13, 2012, 05:07 AM   #27
Scorch

You have an extended micrometer sight, similar to the type usually found on match 22LR rifles. That said, it looks awful crude and has kind of a Soviet or Chinese look to it (maybe off of a cheap biathlon trainer rifle like the ones that appeared in the 1990s?). The base fits the drilled/tapped holes in the side of the receiver, and the peep sight itself is adjustable for the distance it extends towards the shooter. I think it would be a good sight for what you are talking about, many of the 340s were drilled/tapped at the rear for peeps.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:20 AM   #28
Wolverines

It's definitely not from the 90's. I've had this since 1978, and the mounting holes do not match up with my 340A ... otherwise I'd have used it.

The guy I got it from was a WWII vet that served in the South Pacific, but I don't know if that is relevant to this sight.

Thanks for your input, hope for more here.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:04 PM   #29
publius

I personally would leave the steel alone and refinish the wood. Whatever you do, don't use cold blue, it sucks. Get it professionally re-blued $, or Duracoat it yourself. I think Dfariswheel had a good tutorial on wood refinishing with Minwax antique finish.