The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 04:21 PM   #26
darkgael

Africa

Quote:
They also have Air rifles so powerful people go BIG GAMW hunting in..... AFRICA!!! With an Air-Rifle!!! I'm sure those cost a lot of money, as in thousands. I mean hunting big-game in Africa with an... Air rifle? Crazy, but people do it vs BIG game in Africa. I still bet those super super extremely crazy high powered air rifles cost thousands or more. Heck I wouldn't even feel all that safe with a .44 MAG in Africa. But some Air-Rifles are more powerful. Goes to show just how powerful modern Air rifles CAN be.
Check out the Quakenbush rifles and pistols mentioned earlier. VERY powerful....three quite interesting shots per fill.
Not thousands of dollars necesarily either. Just hard to get and well made.
Starting under $600. How about a .458 air rifle delivering 500 fpe?
Pete
Old January 22, 2013, 11:45 PM   #27
Josh17

Oh wow cheaper than I thought. I want one of those extremely high powered air rifles ha.
I've had an Air Rifle for 3 years dry fired many times fired hundreds of times never once had to clean or maintain it. They seem more reliable than a regular rifle to me. That's why I love my .177 Air Rifle. Even being just an Air rifle - a .177 hunting pellet traveling at 1200 FPS can be one power horse.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:33 AM   #28
darkgael

Think big

Quote:
. Even being just an Air rifle - a .177 hunting pellet traveling at 1200 FPS can be one power horse.
These are rifle velocities that are being quoted....air pistols are somewhat less, especially in .177.
Suggestion.....for hunting....think big. Bigger is better in the air rifle and pistol realm. The .177s have higher velocity figures but the pellets have little mass and shed energy rapidly. The larger calibers may move more slowly but are carrying more weight and hold their energy longer. Benjamin, Air Force, and Evanix all make air pistols that produce impressive figures.....they are to be had in .22 (Benjamin and Evanix) and .25 (Air Force @ 55 ft.lbs. ME)
The .177 rifles can be had to better than 1400 fps. Zippy, no doubt. I wonder what pellet was used. Often the hi-vel stats are the result of using very light pellets like the 5.4 grain Gamo Raptor. At that velocity, a five grain pellet produces 25 ft.lbs of ME. A more normal 8 grain pellet at 1200 makes the same stat.
Move up to .22s and take a average 14 grain pellet move it at 1000 fps and the yield is 31 ft lbs and a larger hole. The big 28 gr Eu Jin pellets only have to move at 700 fps to do the same.
Move up to the big bores.......9mm and .45..... And velocities drop to 600 to 800 fps. Big holes, though, and well over 100 ft.lbs. (a .458 200 grain LSWC @ 600 fps is at 160 ft.lbs at and a hole that is more than six times the size of the .177)
Of course, you still have to place your shots properly no matter how big the hole.

Last edited by darkgael; January 23, 2013 at 05:50 AM.