The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 28, 2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Bonzai

Sight questions from a real newbie

Could someone possibly explain the difference in the following three sights and help me with the advantages and disadvantages of each.
30 mm red dot sight
30 mm 2x red dot sight
red dot open 4 reticle

Thanks in advance
Old November 28, 2011, 04:11 PM   #2
AirborneMosinFan

Here it goes

The red dot is simply that one red dot. The red dot x2 is two power magnification so it's alittle zoomed in. The 4 red dot just means you have four setting to choose from most likely from a light red dot to a bright red dot. The 30 mm refers to how wide your viewing window is.
Old November 28, 2011, 04:32 PM   #3
wogpotter

Almost
Most red dots allow the brightness to be changed in several steps, mainly to allow the dot to show up clearly under different lighting conditions.

"OPEN" refers to a glass plate out in the open as opposed to a tube with the reticule inside it, a bit like a regular telescopic sight tube. The 4 reticules are usually 4 different patterns of projected image. Depending on who makes them the choices vary. I have one that is a dot (.), a "T" shape(T), an upside down "V" (^) or a dot over the inverted V. (sorry I have no way of faking that last one for you.

What's the advantage? Mostly personal preference. I like the dot over a V because it grabs my attention faster than just a dot, but has the accuracy of a dot. It also lets me have 2 sighted in distances, one for the dot, another for the tip of the "V".

Here's my open 4-reticule sight. It is actually a holosight, not a red dot, but it's close enough to illustrate the point. It is big, there are many others much smaller.

& this is what it looks like with the dot over a ^ in use. The blur is a camera effect only. You use it with both eyes open, but the camera can't do that only having one lens. Holographic sights make the lit up part look as though it is out beyond the end of the gun & sight just floating in space, but you can't see that with a camera either.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; November 28, 2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: found a beter picture of the reticule
Old November 28, 2011, 04:36 PM   #4
AirborneMosinFan

Didn't know that one.

I bet the v would be easy to spot in a hurry. I'd like a upside-down v like a military acog for mine I'm going to look into one of those.
Old November 28, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
wogpotter

Yes the small dots don't really grab me, & the big ones that do aren't accurate IMHO.
The "T" which is actually 3 lines with a dot where they meet, or the dot over a V is my second & first choice, a plain V would be my third with the dot alone coming in last.

Old November 28, 2011, 04:53 PM   #6
AirborneMosinFan

That is a bad ass looking red dot.

What's it on?
Old November 29, 2011, 10:06 AM   #7
wogpotter

It is a Russian "Kobra", originally made for the AK series with a side mount, but also was available with a rail mount for the Picatinny rail used by the West. The topcover mount is an ARMS #4 for the FAL. These are hard to find nowadays & so fetch a premium price, somewhere in the $300 range I think!

The more modern, more compact ones are actually better as this is so tall I need a riser to get a good cheek weld. It is incredibly tough though so I keep it!

Old November 29, 2011, 01:15 PM   #8
AirborneMosinFan

Does it shoot 5.45 by 39

Or 7.62?
Old November 29, 2011, 01:22 PM   #9
wogpotter

7.62X51 NATO aka .308 Winchester or 7.62mm NATO.

Old November 30, 2011, 02:59 PM   #10
AirborneMosinFan

I'm very familiar with 7.62x51

I thought that mag looked a bit big, I just assumed when you said ak family. I want one even more now