The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2011, 04:32 PM   #1
shooter43

rem. 870

Ive heard that the rem. 870 is the best pump shotgun u can buy. I think its waterproof. my friend told me a story of wen he was hunting ducks in a swamp and he accidently dropped his gun in not very deep water, but water nonetheless. A duck got startled and flew bcuz of the noise, he saw it, chambered a shell and shot it with no trouble at all. I dont know if this particular model can withstand water damage and surface rust or watever, but he told me it handled smooth as silk wen he shot it.
Old January 21, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2
rantingredneck

It will rust.

But, as in your friend's case, if you drop it in water, pick it up, shake the water out of it and go on about your day. Then clean it when you get home.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 21, 2011, 05:07 PM   #3
pabuckslayer08

Its a great gun for the price but best I doubt it, Best for the money though I agree, I feel the new 887 will take the place of some as well. Also yes anygun will rust so if dropped in water that gun needs striped to nothing to dry and oil.
Old January 21, 2011, 05:16 PM   #4
oneounceload

The 870 Wingmaster has sold more than any other - if that makes it the best, then it is. It is a well-made basic gun that can do a myriad of jobs - whether it is the best is opinion. IMO, while it can do a variety of things decently, it is not the absolute for any of the applications - a great jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none scenario. That is NOT a slam, BTW - but like your basic pickup which can ride, haul, tow, it is not the best any one scenario, but a good compromise if you are limited to one gun
Old January 21, 2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Most pump shotguns will take water immersion with no problems as long as it's cleaned later and lubricated to prevent rust.

In his book "Pointman" famed founding member and multiple Vietnam tour SEAL Chief James "Patches" Watson was the first man to ever have a Ithaca Model 37 shotgun with an extended magazine.
His was custom built for him by the US Navy Weapons Lab at China Lake California and had a pistol grip-only stock and the custom extension.

Watson said that if he got the gun muddy or fouled while on patrol, he could just swish it in the water to wash it out and it'd work fine.