The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2009, 11:38 PM   #26
Doby45

Quote:
I haven't reloaded any .40 for my Glock 23 yet, but it's next on my list. Is this a bad idea? I already bought the shell plate, dies, and 1000 Berry's 124gr RS bullets! I don't have another .40 other than the Glock either...
You can reload for a Glock 40 just fine. I personally carry a Glock 23 everyday and I reload for it. You can also reform "Glocked" brass just fine in your sizing dies. "Glocked" brass from an actual Glock is getting rarer and rarer since the majority of the oversized unsupported area was in the 1st Gen barrels. As stated earlier my HK USP40 "Glocks" my brass far more than my G23.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:45 PM   #27
Fullthrottle

Thankfully my local range does not mind picking up brass(I would/will always ask if it was not mine, at the time of shooting)........if left behind afterwards.........I think that the obvious outcome is I will take it! Although my local range does sell brass at about $4.00 a pound(you have to mine through it yourself)not too bad of a deal.
Old December 22, 2009, 01:14 PM   #28
P5 Guy

The Pedigree of Range Brass

So, how can you be sure what you are picking up from the firing line? Just because you see me pulling out factory boxes from my bag doesn't mean they are fresh from the Super Big Box Mart.
Old December 22, 2009, 02:21 PM   #29
Fox1

The two ranges I shoot at locally are "out in the country" ranges that everybody uses.

If there is brass on the ground, it belongs to the first person to show up and pick it up.

The best time of year is before deer season. Lots of hunters flying in from out of state so when they get here, they have to buy new factory ammo then hit the range to verify their zero. They never care about the brass cases and just leave it all behind.

I pick up everything I can find then sort it at home.
Anything that has been "Glocked" (as people call it) and doesn't look safe to use just goes in the scrap bucket. Everything else gets tumbled and stored by size. If it's a caliber I don't reload, I trade it off later with friends who do load that caliber.

Oh, and .222 brass?
I haven't seen that in years. *poop*
But I would LOVE to stumble across a pile of that someday!