The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 3, 2002, 02:51 AM   #1
skeeter

Accuracy difference between smooth and rifled bore?

I am returning or selling my new Remington factory rifle sighted rifled 870 barrel because it is useless with any type of shot. I believe it is capable of 2" at 100 feet with slugs? What will a smooth bore rifled sighted barrel do at 100 feet with slugs? I might as well have been shooting with blanks!!!
Old December 3, 2002, 04:45 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Properly tweaked,most smoothbore 870s will stack them inside 3" at 50 yards IF the operator is up to it. Call it 2" at 100 ft.So will lots of other shotguns.

Slugs are not good long distance choices. A trajectory like a rock out past normal Eastern deer ranges is typical. My slug of choice keyholes slightly at 100 yards, and STILL goes into less than 5".

Since much of my hunting is done within 50 yards, a 100 yard group is beside the point.
Old December 3, 2002, 08:38 AM   #3
PJR

The Remington rifled slug barrel I owned wasn't very impressive and didn't stay around long either. I could pretty much match groups with my smoothbore at reasonable distances with Brenneke slugs. At 100 ft. there was no difference.

Paul
Old December 3, 2002, 02:46 PM   #4
lockandrock
Registration in progress

Will I had a remington slug barrel for a 870 and it was pretty much accurate. On a good day 100yrds groups where less than 6" and at 50yrds it was very easy to place all shots within a 2-3" circle.

I 've since then changed to the hasting 20" cantilever mount w/4x scope and the SG does a tad little better ( due to scope ) 100yrds groups if lucky might be 3" or less and it was not uncommon to have 1"-2" 3shot groups with brenneke and lightfield slugs at 50yrds.

If I was you keep the rifle barrel for the slugs and get a good replacement smoothbore for all of you bird/buck/rifle-slugs shooting. The SG is still the most versitale weapon for hunting and defense.
Old December 3, 2002, 05:11 PM   #5
RdB

skeeter,

When you say your using slugs, you should be using Saboted Slugs. Forster-type slugs don't work well at all from a rifled barrel, at least that has been my experience (from a Mossberg 9200 w/24" rifled barrel). I found the 3" Winchester-BRI standard velocity 1oz sabot slugs to be quite accurate, with 3 shots on a pie plate at a 100yds. It ain't benchrest shooting, but OK for deer.

Russ
Old December 3, 2002, 08:14 PM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

skeeter,

Using an 870, 20" bbl (?), IMP cylinder choke & iron sights - Rems stock old time "deer barrel," PMC's Brenneke 1 oz slugs .... (pant )

All but clover leafs at 25 yards & 2-2.5" at 50 yards.

Dave has posted a thread about tightening the tube cap one click past hand tight. Might wanna do a search to see if you can dig it up. Worth reading & may save you a trip back to switch barrels.