The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 16, 2012, 01:12 AM   #26
bamaranger

yup

I started a log, about age 25 or so. I could remember back to catch up, and have kept up the score card ever since. I also have kept a deer diary of sorts, though not every day of every season is in it. But kills, big deer, special circumstances are mostly written up.

So....I can give a score, date, describe deer, etc. Can also break it down into rifle, muzzleloader and bow. The bow data is kinda detailed. Distance of shot, the hit, dx tracked, the tackle info.

Thirty years later, the dx of bow kills has not changed, average shot, 14.5 yds. Most do not go more than 75 yds., many less than that.

I've done about the same thing with turkeys, but I only shotgun them.
Old October 16, 2012, 04:34 AM   #27
Mike / Tx

I killed my first one at age 6, and have been dropping them just about every year since, and I am knocking on 49 pretty hard. I haven't got a clue as to how many, but it would be a pile for sure.

When I started out and up until about 10 years ago we really DID count on the extra meat to help get through the year. It was simply one of the small things that when added up at the end of the year saved us a little extra cash. We did all of our own processing except for making link sausage. It was just easier to have it made than to do the whole smoke house thing here in the city.

I have always hunted on my own property as well as being invited to hunt with friends, so there was no added lease fee. Most years we didn't put out feeders and if we did it was not for hunting, but either after the season to help them out when there was little mast, or just around fawning time to boost their protein.

As for memorable hunts, I have had a ton of them. Even years when I did not actually kill a deer I had encounters with them where I let them pass and could have but didn't shoot. A couple of those bucks have been some of the best I have seen in the areas I hunt, and I was just as happy to watch them trot off. Most of my best memories however are not actually of the hunts, but rather the time spent with family and friends who are now passed away.

Since the hog populations have ballooned in the areas I have been hunting I have concentrated my efforts on them rather than the deer. Heck I even have a half dozen does we now call the farm pets, as they drop their fawns within 50yds or so of the house. I guess I am just not as mad at them as I once was.

This all said, don't get the wrong impression, I am out there every season with bow, rifle and handgun looking for Mr Big. It's just over the years my criteria has changed and if I am going to drop the hammer on a buck, it is going to have to be something REALLY OUTSTANDING. In fact here are the last two bucks I have taken with a rifle both breaking 20+ inches inside,

Opening morning 04,

weekend before Christmas 09,

and I let these fella's go on about their business,

Old October 16, 2012, 09:59 AM   #28
ZeroJunk

Nice bucks Mike. I'm like you in that my criteria for shooting a buck is that he has to be better than one I have already killed.

But, I really like deer burger and take enough doe to keep in stock.

You sure can't remember those like the nice bucks.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:09 AM   #29
rickyrick

Exactly one, with a car.... Never hunted them.....yet
Old October 16, 2012, 05:58 PM   #30
warbirdlover

I've been deer hunting now for 47 years. I haven't always got one every year but at least one every other year. Best I can guess. That makes about 23 (mostly bucks) and only one was a real wall hanger. Last two were pretty decent 9 pointers with about 17" spread. Not quite good enough to mount.

But really good to eat!!
Old October 16, 2012, 07:02 PM   #31
Deja vu

I actually remember one my brother killed better than any I killed out side the first one.

My brother has a Ruger 77/44 bolt rifle. His was internally suppressed. He was shooting some heavy for caliber loads (I want to say 300 grain) at about 1000 FPS.

We came up on 5 deer (1 buck and 4 does) grazing. He took aim and dropped the buck. The does watched it kick for about 20 seconds then when back to grazing. We had to shoo them away to get the carcass. If there had been another buck he could of handed me the rifle and I could have taken it too.

That was one of the craziest things I have ever seen. That inspired me to suppress my Marlin 1895 SBL (45/70) With the right loads it is very quiet and shoots a 500 grain bullet. Has over 1000 Foot pounds at 100 yards even when subsonic from the barrel.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 16, 2012, 07:33 PM   #32
Hunter Customs

I don't recall for sure how many deer I've killed.
Killed my first deer in 1970, a nice 8 point buck.

When I first started hunting you were only allowed one tag, then they allowed two tags so I would get two deer a year, then they allowed three tags so I would harvest three deer a year.

There was a couple of years I did not hunt, so I would say I've easily killed 50 deer or more.

I did not go last year but I'm going this year, however I'm just buying one tag and filling one tag seeing that I'm the only one left at home that eats them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 16, 2012, 07:37 PM   #33
lefteye

With a .270 in Wyoming, Missouri, and Minnesota, and a shotgun and bow in Iowa, I've taken roughly 30 deer in about 36 years of deer hunting.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:44 AM   #34
Jack O'Conner

I lost track at 50 deer which was about 10 years ago. I often hunt in northern Maryland where doe tags are unlimited.

Jack
Old October 17, 2012, 07:08 AM   #35
bird_dog

I've been hunting for 25 years...

I've shot 1-5 deer every year with bow, muzzloader, rifle, shotgun and, most recently, handguns -- never had a year without at least a doe. At one point I know my biggest buck was my 25th set of antlers...but he wasn't my last. At least 2-3 smaller bucks since then. I've since lost track.

And being introduced to the sport by a family of meat hunters (I hate that term, but it fits!), I killed many, many does for each of those 25 bucks, as a young guy I would fill the older guys' tags so they had meat. I'm GUESSING somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 deer total, but I'm not sure. Probably pretty close. Possibly a bit more.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:16 AM   #36
sc928porsche

50+ years of hunting deer. I am certain that I have averaged over 1 per year. Many years 2 and sometimes 3 depending on luck and where I hunted. Of course there have been a few years that I didnt get any at all. Elk is 21, Moose 4, pronghorn 6, and bear 4. I am lucky enough to have relatives living in California, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, and Alaska.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:26 AM   #37
seansean1444

ya only 3 haha im 18
Old October 17, 2012, 08:21 AM   #38
cnimrod

after 30 years

not exactly. most years one some years 2 some years none. I did log them on my computer some years ago but forgot to back that up, duh! antlers are all crudely mounted with some details on the back of the plaque. except for the ones I turned into wizard sticks for my Gandolph lovers here
Old October 17, 2012, 09:52 AM   #39
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

It's been a family thing to saw the front of the skull and then nail the horns to a garage rafter or some such place. A few plaque mounts around the house.

I can look at a set of antlers and recall the circumstances of the hunt. The where and when and conditions. Who was in camp and involved in the bull sessions around the campfire.

I've always sorta figured that as long as I'm alive, that buck is sorta immortalized--'cause your only immortality is in the minds of your family and friends.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:01 AM   #40
BLUETIP

4 all in the same year on 4 different occasions same dodge ram pick-up. what a weapon!
Old October 17, 2012, 10:48 AM   #41
MOshooter65202

I've been deer hunting since 1975 with a rifle and bow shortly after,along with black powder since the 90s.....So the answer is?

"I can't remember?"
Old October 17, 2012, 01:16 PM   #42
Husqvarna

5 or 20 depending on how you count

three on my own since I got my license

2 as a teen with my father

the rest it tracking already shot animals, which some are found alive, some you can shot again, some are down and only needs to be bleed out
Old October 17, 2012, 02:52 PM   #43
Hunter Customs

The way my daughter was killing them with her vechicle I almost gave up deer hunting.
I believe her total is 9 now, not one of them was shot.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 17, 2012, 11:33 PM   #44
BIGR

Yes I have documented every year and how and where each deer was taken. I have a diary I keep each day at deer camp and later after the season is over I put that info on an excel spreadsheet on my computer. It is interesting to look back at the information from 30 some years ago when I was a much younger hunter.
Old October 18, 2012, 03:08 PM   #45
publius

I'm 40 and quit counting when I was a kid, I would guess somewhere slightly North of 100.
Old October 19, 2012, 12:05 AM   #46
Edward429451

I can remember. I've only killed two Deer. I've field dressed and skinned one Elk, and perhaps five or six deer, and butchered one Elk, three deer. (helping friends who did score).
Old October 21, 2012, 03:58 AM   #47
Husqvarna

Hunter Custom is this your daughter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CI8UPHMzZm8

?

tell her to slow down?
Old October 23, 2012, 08:12 PM   #48
Groundhog34

I am 65 for the first 30 years of my life there were not a lot of deer around so I killed less then 5. I remember 1 big buck I killed with my friends new Ford Mustang. Since then in the past 35 years well over 100. In Alabama we have a 2 a day limit with a 70-75 day season.

Vote Early
Vote Often
Just don't vote for obama
Old October 23, 2012, 08:26 PM   #49
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Hunter Custom is this your daughter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CI8UPHMzZm8

?

tell her to slow down?

Husqvarna,

I think that may be her.

She called me one night about 11:30 pm and told me she just hit a deer that came out of the bank parking lot in Cameron Missouri.
I thought she was joking but she wasn't.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 24, 2012, 12:38 AM   #50
BIG P

NO cant remember them all.But I have pics of over 200 different deer,probably that many again cull deer.Our rifle season opened Sat.20th. Ive took 4 this year sence SAT.i Do hunt for a couple familys & a church group & feed the hungary every year just about.I feel lucky & blessed at the same time.GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL this year.