The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Which gun to make the "perfect" winter carry revolver?
Taurus 65, cut to 3" 3 16.67%
Taurus 66, cut to 3" 2 11.11%
Taurus Tracker/627, cut to 3" 2 11.11%
4" Taurus 65, live with the extra inch 4 22.22%
4" Taurus 66, live with the extra inch 5 27.78%
4' Tracker/627, live w/ the inch and porting 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30, 2012, 02:22 PM   #26
chaim

The mods I'd want (unless the gun already had them):
-Night sights (definite). The Nightguard series already have them, none of the others would and it wouldn't be a cheap mod on a revolver.

-Matte finish (definite). The Tracker and Nightguard series have it already.

-3" barrel (I might consider going without this).

-Bobbed hammer/DAO conversion (probably, but might put it off). I don't trust a bobbed hammer without the gun being converted to DAO. For a CCW handgun, an exposed hammer isn't a deal-breaker, but with the possibility of snagging a cover garment, it is one more thing that can go wrong.

-Boot grips (preferably wood, stag or elk). Probably Ahrends, Spegel, or Eagle Secret Service grips. You lose some recoil control with the smaller grips, but for carry, the lower profile boot grips are much better for concealment. Why wood or bone? Because I like it, there is no reason a carry revolver can't look good just because it is a CCW weapon.
Old September 30, 2012, 02:42 PM   #27
fastbolt

Didn't vote in your poll. Obviously, though, you're free to choose from among the Taurus revolver line based upon your individual experience.

The "perfect cold weather" revolver? Dunno exactly what I'd consider that to mean. I've carried J-frames to N-frames (and a Redhawk/SBH), regardless of the weather.

I tend to like the 5-shot snubs for their versatility in all weather/carry situations. I shoot them well.

I also own a 2.25" SP101 DAO, but it sees more range time than carry time (due to weight).

I've idly considered looking for a 3" 101 at some point. I'd like to have the XS front night sight, too, since I have it on my pair of M&P 340's. It's the best sighting system I've ever used on a 5-shot snub (because it's so easy & fast to see under a range of lighting conditions ).

I have a Ruger Service-Six heavy barrel 4" I bought new many years ago, and eventually had it tuned and Magnaported, and then the square butt rounded off. Really nice concealment .357 Magnum revolver. It stays in the safe due to the weight, nowadays.

Ditto a nicely done M66 2 1/2" snub. Nice example of the breed. Enjoyable and accurate snub to shoot out to 75 yds. I'd rather have an alloy or plastic gun of similar size & weight for retirement CCW, though ... unless I could choose one of my assorted J-frames.

After enough years of carrying medium & large framed .357 & .44 Magnum revolvers as off-duty weapons, using both IWB & OWB belt scabbards, I tend to like smaller, or at least lighter, nowadays.

I had a pair of the very early Charter Arms .44 Bulldogs. Never again. Your luck and experience may vary.

The GP series seems nice enough.

I really liked the L-frames (having carried a couple of them in their early days). I always wished I'd thought to pick up a 686-Plus (7-shot) with a short barrel. Now that might have been a nice medium-weight/size short barreled Magnum for CCW chores.

If it were me, I'd stick with the M65 3". Great example of the K-frame Magnum revolver. I see no reason to remove the hammer spur on a K-frame size revolver, but you can certainly suit yourself.

As a longtime revolver owner, shooter & user I can certainly appreciate a good revolver. I'd have carried one of the 8-shot Scandium N-frames as a duty weapon if returning to LE work and allowed to carry a revolver.

If it were me? I'd stick with S&W or Ruger, with Colt being a distant third choice (if you're going to be doing a lot of shooting with Magnum loads, anyway).

Luck to you. Enjoy.
Old September 30, 2012, 03:27 PM   #28
chaim

Quote:
The "perfect cold weather" revolver? Dunno exactly what I'd consider that to mean. I've carried J-frames to N-frames (and a Redhawk/SBH), regardless of the weather.

I tend to like the 5-shot snubs for their versatility in all weather/carry situations. I shoot them well.
Haha, I guess I didn't spend much time explaining what I meant by that (one short blurb in my 1st post within some parenthesis was it).

During the summer when temp and humidity around here can be pretty ugly, a small J-frame is about all I can conceal. Often, when I'm down in VA or up in PA, I just take the 442 in my pocket. I am 42, I tend more towards "business casual" and don't do the untucked t-shirt much anymore, so my summer gun needs to be small enough to fit in my pocket or conceal well with a tuckable IWB holster (i.e. it needs to be a J-frame or a compact/subcompact semi-auto).

When temperatures cool off so that I can always have a cover garment, more options open up. When that allows a bigger revolver, I'd prefer a larger revolver than a J-frame because the larger and heavier guns (while having weaknesses of their own) address several of the weaknesses of the smaller revolvers. The heavier weight means it is a more controllable gun with faster follow up shots. The heavier weight opens up the possibility of using defense loaded .357mag rounds, an advantage when people are wearing heavy winter clothing. The 3" or 4" barrel instead of a 2" J-frame means a longer sight radius which makes accurate shot placement easier and quicker. A 6 or 7-shot revolver capacity (not only are these 3 Taurus revolvers 7-shot revolvers, so is the 386) is much nicer than 5 shots in the J-frame. If I go with the 44spl options I may still only have 5 shots, but 5 shots of .44spl > 5 shots of .38+P (especially if heavy winter clothing clogs the hollowpoint and it doesn't expand).

So, I'm looking for a revolver with more capability than the small J-frames, that can conceal well under a jacket or winter clothing, but isn't too big or heavy so it is still a reasonable CCW.

I get what you are saying in your post about a few of your guns being on the heavy side for carry. I certainly don't carry my 65LS every time I otherwise can. If I'm going to VA or PA for more than a day or so, I tend to bring something lighter. Definitely if (when) MD goes shall-issue, or when I move to VA (as soon as I can get a job there after I finish my masters) and CCW is a nearly everyday thing, this would not be an everyday carry (probably my Rossi and an auto or two will share that job), but it would be something I'd carry a couple times a week during the fall through early to mid spring months. Actually, the potential weight issues do have the Tracker (under 29oz) and the expensive S&W Nightguards looking pretty good.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:00 AM   #29
Whirlwind06

I carry the 3 inch GP quite a bit. I it weighs in around 36 oz or so. That's with the big factory grips. My 3 inch S&W K frame (.38) weighs pretty close, with in a few oz I would say.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:38 AM   #30
redhawk45

Charter Arms Pit bull 44 special.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:54 AM   #31
mightyoakwildlife

I didn't vote for any of your listed pieces, because I've no personal experience with them. Same reason I won't "bash" any of them. However, this question is one I've entertained from time to time, so I find this thread interesting.

Since you're fond of the .357, and already own several, why not try something different? Have you looked at the .327 Federal?

How about a nice SP101, 3" .327 from Ruger? At 28 ounces, with a full compliment of six shots, I've decided on one, not trying another caliber (I too own a few .357s I'm very happy with), trying it just this once, it could be the wife's gun, reasoning that there's no improving upon my 3" SP101 in .357, it does offer six rounds, etc., etc. Still, it is a reason to buy just one more handgun that I haven't tried, but I just bought that little .22LR Sig this weekend, and my pockets are a little light right now....
Old October 3, 2012, 02:07 PM   #32
kdrf636

Perfect and Taurus just doesn't go together in my head for some reason.
Old October 3, 2012, 04:56 PM   #33
Bob Wright

I didn't cast a vote, will not vote for any Taurus, nor do I see a need to change my outfit because its starting to get cool.

My outfit is a .44 Special Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" carried in a Bob Mernickle PS6-SA holster. Works for me simmer or winter.

Bob Wright
Old October 3, 2012, 07:26 PM   #34
BLUETIP

Sp 101 is the way i went shoots straight not to expensive if you have to drop it in the river. Lol
Old October 3, 2012, 09:03 PM   #35
badge851

This is my "Cold Weather Revolver", 357 Magnum Chambering, 30oz, & 7 shots; Taurus® Mdl 617SS2..........

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:49 PM   #36
Nanuk

Smith and Wesson mountain revolver in 44 mag.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:55 PM   #37
jsiberians

Ruger

LCR
Old October 4, 2012, 09:48 PM   #38
chaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge851
This is my "Cold Weather Revolver", 357 Magnum Chambering, 30oz, & 7 shots; Taurus® Mdl 617SS2..........

What's the leather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk
Smith and Wesson mountain revolver in 44 mag.
I've thought about the Mountain Gun, in fact, occasional carry was part of what I had in mind when I bought mine (mine is a .45LC). I still need to get a good holster for mine, but it does seem to be a tad large (and heavy) for anything but occasional carry.
Old October 6, 2012, 01:19 PM   #39
WC145

I've owned several Taurus guns and have not had good luck with them so I didn't participate in the poll. However, since you brought up some of the Night Guards, the 327NG is another you may want to consider. I have one that I got a good used deal on and it's a great gun, my favorite work around the property and outdoors side arm. It's not much larger than the 386NG and since it's pretty light it carries well. Plus, you get that eighth round with the 327 as well. It's out to a local gunsmith now getting the hammer bobbed, an action job, and being made DAO.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old October 6, 2012, 09:00 PM   #40
Deaf Smith

'Perfect" Winter carry revolver?

Sure do.

My DAO Speed Six shown. In .357 Magnum (as they all are!)

No sharp edges and a slick action.

Deaf
Old October 6, 2012, 11:29 PM   #41
Ideal Tool

Well...you did say cold...how about a Colt Mod. 1878 Alaskan in .45 long colt..that BIG trigger guard out to let you keep your pinkies toasty!
Old October 6, 2012, 11:39 PM   #42
tomrkba

I can't resist. You need 44 Magnum for winter! Coats are all thick and stuffed full of ballistic feathers.

If you're going to carry a revolver, a 3" barrel is a great way to go. If your Taurus revolvers are reliable then use them.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:11 AM   #43
savit260

Quote:
My outfit is a .44 Special Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" carried in a Bob Mernickle PS6-SA holster. Works for me simmer or winter.
I'm with you on this... except my Blackhawk is in 45 Colt carried IWB in a Simply Rugged holster.

No problem concealing with just an untucked T shirt for cover.

A good belt and holster make all the difference IMO.

I'd love to try out a Mernicke at some point. Looks like a very good design.

Just for giggles, I picked up a used Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster for my 7 1/2" Virginian Dragoon. Actually isn't too bad to conceal under an untucked button down shirt for a cover garment.
Old October 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #44
Fan45acp

Cold weather carry in NE Texas: 501 Levis,undershirt,black pull over sweat-shirt,1 3/4" Beltman belt, pancake holster, with my 4" barrel 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk..

Last edited by Fan45acp; October 7, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:27 PM   #45
chaim

Wow, some of you guys carry some big and heavy revolvers. I suppose with a good belt and holster a heavier gun will carry OK, and with layers of winter clothing a larger revolver can be reasonably concealed. Unfortunately, I live in MD where I can't carry often (I can't carry here at all, only when in a state that takes my UT non-res permit). If I take my 625MG with me and it is too big or heavy, I won't have my entire safe of guns to choose from. Plus, I am looking for an excuse to buy another gun. I am about to order (in another window right now) a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster for my 625, but I'm still thinking about a more carry friendly revolver that is more capable than my 442, 85CH and 461.

Since I spent $600 on a SIG 290 last week, I'm leaning against the S&W Nightguards for now (I may buy one later though). I'm slightly leaning against the Taurus 65 or 66 (or comparable, used, S&W 65 or 66) due to weight. It seems to me that at 4" or less, weight probably makes a bigger difference for concealability than barrel length. I'm still thinking seriously about the sub-29oz Taurus 627 Tracker in a 4" barrel, or cutting it to a 3" barrel (and losing the porting). In addition to being a big .357mag fan, I'm a big fan of calibers starting in 4, so I'm also thinking about the .44spl Taurus 445 or a used .45LC Taurus 450 (even though both are 2"), I love the .41mag so maybe the 2.5" Taurus 415 or 4" 425 .41mag Tracker, or a used 3" Rossi 720 or Taurus 431. The .44spl Charter Arms are still on the list as well. As kind of a wildcard, I could see getting a single action .45LC 3.5" ~38oz Cimarron Thunderer.

Last edited by chaim; October 7, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old October 7, 2012, 05:17 PM   #46
savit260

with a high quality holster and belt (belt being equally, if not MORE important) you shouldn't really notice the weight.

I fought with cheapo holsters, and flimsy belts for too long.

Quality gear makes all the difference.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:27 PM   #47
Budda

This one.....colt trooper mk 3 .357 4".
Old October 8, 2012, 08:56 AM   #48
SFsc616171

RE: "Perfect" cold weather carry revolver

For all those that live where the operative word is, or soon shall be, "snow", I make the obligatory apology. My bones don't do cold weather no more, so I live near the bayous, and the occasional hurricane.

My "perfect" cold weather revolver, with everyone wearing those big fancy football coats with the quilting, would be my Taurus 850CIA .38 Special, (their version of the '*42' series), loaded with solid semi-wadcutters, NOT the 'FBI load', and NOT in Plus P. More clothing means more layers to get through, to do the job.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:58 PM   #49
floydster

Ruger .357 Speed Six, 2/3/4" barrel--none better.
Smokeyloads
Old October 10, 2012, 08:14 PM   #50
mavracer

Quote:
Ruger .357 Speed Six, 2/3/4" barrel--none better
Sounds good to me.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."