The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 24, 2010, 04:25 AM   #1
87mustang

barrel question

does anyone have any experience with the Adams & Bennett barrels? I am just trying to figure out if these inexpensive barrels will be okay or if i should invest a little more money in something like a shilen.
Old April 24, 2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Dustin0

Bump Iam in the same boat 87mustang. I have talked to one person that said they where great for money. But I dont know. So I think Iam going to camp this thread.
Old April 24, 2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Slamfire

My bolt gun smith is a long range National Champ. He also is making barrels for hunters. I feel he is well qualified to have an opinion on these.

Last week I was talking to him about the possibility of taking an vintage rifle receiver and making it into a sporter.

He recommended that I get an Adams and Benett barrel primarly due to the cost.

He said for $20.00 he would lap the thing. He has lapped a number and has felt tight and loose spots, something you will not find on high dollar match barrels, but still, barrels he has fitted to customer actions have shot close to half a MOA, which is outstanding for a cheap barrel.

Basically he would not use these in competition against the worlds best, but in a hunting rifle, they are just fine.

You must understand to, that National Champions understands Average Joe hunter does not need and cannot possibly hold to a 1/4 MOA in a hunting situation. It is my considered opinion that a 2 MOA rifle is more than perfectly adequate for game hunting in the US. My lever actions are 4 MOA, and I would not hesitate to take one out, as long as I kept my shots to around 200 yards.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:02 PM   #4
87mustang

so if i am wanting to turn a mauser 98 into a 7mm mauser and i don't intend on doing any long range shooting probably no more than 200-250 yards for deer like animals, an adams and bennett barrell would suffice?

i would probably lob some shells at distant groundhogs for fun, but if i miss, oh well.
Old April 25, 2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Slamfire

Quote:
so if i am wanting to turn a mauser 98 into a 7mm mauser and i don't intend on doing any long range shooting probably no more than 200-250 yards for deer like animals, an adams and bennett barrell would suffice
The chambering job has a great effect on accuracy. Even when you are dealing with hunting quality modern barrels, a concentric chamber is critical for best accuracy.

Bedding is also extremely critical for accuracy.

I pillar bedded this rifle. A M700 Classic in 6.5 Swede. A great caliber.
The action was obviously sliding in the stock during recoil, creating this side to side motion.

I relieved the barrel channel so the barrel was not touching and bedded the action. The improvement in group size is obvious. This five shot group is about 1.2" compared to the previous four inches. While this factory barrel is not a match barrel, I will not be able to hold MOA while hunting. So this is good enough.
Old April 25, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Gunplummer

I have used two 7x57 barrels from The Gun Parts Corporation and had good results. They are stepped, in the white, new Mauser barrels which I think were made in Israel. If your looking for low cost, look into surplus barrels or take-offs. I have been lucky with them. It is hit or miss, but so is a new inexpensive barrel also.
Old April 26, 2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Scorch

A&B barrels are OK, better than factory barrels but not as good as a premium barrel like Shilen or Douglas. If you just need a hunting rifle rebarreled, an A&B barrel will do very well.
Old April 26, 2010, 05:48 PM   #8
plainsman456

Most of the ones that I have done for folks have been great.I have 2 of my own and I had money left over for bullets and powder.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:14 PM   #9
taylorce1

I used one to build my .375 Ruger, would have liked a better quality barrel but hey the rifle shoots pretty good. I do notice that it copper fouls pretty quick it so I'm guessing there are some tool marks in it. I imagine it will smooth out after a few hundred rounds, however it is tough to shoot a few hundred rounds through a .375 Ruger without brusing the shoulder!

Last edited by taylorce1; April 26, 2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: add pictures